Cook says discriminatory 'religious freedom' laws are dangerous, calls for action

Comments

• Reply 61 of 492
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Marrige is a religious institution - sanctioned by God. Regardless of what the State says, you can't legislate away faith and tradition.

They can, however, legislate State Marrige - issue tax breaks, benefits, paper certificates, and even pump billions into science to let gay men get pregnant and have the media sell you that it's natural. - but it's just not.

Tim is just another insecure gay man looking to legislate respect that his money can't buy.

Using his position at Apple to launch an attack against a fundamental constitutional and moral human right - Irrational thinking by a very wealthy CEO.
    This story usually doesn't end well.
  • Reply 62 of 492
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    reefoid wrote: »
    Don't be so simplistic.

This law will cause discrimination against Apple customers and harm Apple's ability to attract and retain employees.

To think there will be no harm to business as a result of this law is naive to the extreme.

How so? How does this law harm Apple's ability to retain or attract employees? Give a specific example.
  • Reply 63 of 492
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Those 74 million iPhones sold last quarter weren't all bought by liberal progressives. image

That's what I was thinking. All it needs it some major Christian group to boycott Apple and it would surely show up in the numbers. Whether you agree with it or not, it's a widespread religion.

• Reply 64 of 492
    Freedom= for liberals only. The rest of us can just go screw ourselves I guess.

If you choose to practice homosexual acts, that's your right. If I choose to follow the bibles guidance on homosexuality, that's my right.

The bible does not give me permission to be cruel or intolerant towards anyone, homosexual or not. You are my fellow man and I will feed you if your hungry and cloth you if you are cold. You deserve all the kindness and respect in the world, just like everyone else. But it you want to be part of a religion that allows those who practice homosexuality, it's not mine.

If you force your way in, you will have only succeeded at injecting yourself into an organization that has different ideals and beliefs than you. I'm not sure why you would even want that.

Freedom of religion not only protects my right to worship the way I want, but it also offers you the same right. And it also protects you from being forced into a religion that doesn't align with your personal choices. Unlike, say, many parts of the Middle East where you are forced to be a specific state religion, even if you don't believe in it.

If you are liberal and believe in everyone's right to make their own choices, then please respect mine.
  • Reply 65 of 492
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

The quickest way to get this law reversed is if businesses start leaving the state or refuse to do any business in it. Now I have no problem with this law and I think Tim Cook should stick to running Apple or let someone else be CEO so he can go fight for LGBT rights. I just want to see him put his money where his mouth is. Boycotting these states would be one way to do that. Of course he never would because the stock would tank and shareholders would be up in arms. Those 74 million iPhones sold last quarter weren't all bought by liberal progressives. image

I would agree with you if it weren't for all the recent evidence to the contrary.  See: Kansas.  Collapsing economy, promises to cut more taxes, promises to run an illegal deficit ... and they still re-elected Brownback.  *shrug*

• Reply 66 of 492
    I don't mind if gays marry and I don't find it morally wrong, but a business should be able to decide who they want to serve. A law specifically targeting gays isn't the right way to go about it, though.
  • Reply 67 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whatyouneed View Post

I don't mind if gays marry and I don't find it morally wrong, but a business should be able to decide who they want to serve. A law specifically targeting gays isn't the right way to go about it, though.

So, you're fine if they decide not to serve white people, or Christians, or Jews, right?

• Reply 68 of 492
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm patiently awaiting Apple to stop selling their products in the 19 states that have religious freedom laws. And I assume too then that Apple will move its offices from Austin to a state that doesn't have this so-called bigoted law? Put your money where your mouth is Tim.

RFRA1.jpg

That would be discriminatory.
  • Reply 69 of 492
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member
    Quote:

How so? How does this law harm Apple's ability to retain or attract employees? Give a specific example.

Do I really need to spell this out for you?  Are you saying all the companies who are saying the exact same thing as me (Apple, Yelp, Salesforce, Lilly, NCAA to name just a few) are talking out of their backsides?  If its all the same to you, I'll take their word over some random person on a forum who seems to be arguing just for the sake of it.

One example?  OK, how about a valued Apple employee in Indiana who is discriminated against because of this law and feels he can no longer live in the state.  He leaves the state and is unable to get a job with Apple at his new location.  Apple then has to hire a new resource.  That costs money.  Therefore material harm has been caused to Apple because of this ridiculous legislation.  Or do you think employees grow on trees and can be plucked off at will at no cost?

Its really not that hard of a concept to grasp.

• Reply 70 of 492
    aaronj wrote: »

So, you're fine if they decide not to serve white people, or Christians, or Jews, right?
    Yes, that's their business happening on private property. If the owner doesn't want to serve somebody, regardless of the reason, then that's fine. This nation is a mess socially because we approach problems by looking at people in groups (this law included actually). It makes things way more complicated than they need to be. Nobody has the right to force a business to serve them.
  • Reply 71 of 492
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Always heartwarming to witness bigots embracing the latest excuses for their bigotry. Tawdry attempts to drag economic myth into the question only points out further the role of ignorance in maintaining a role for religion in American politics.

Laughable. Equally stupid.
  • Reply 72 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by whatyouneed View Post

Yes, that's their business happening on private property. If the owner doesn't want to serve somebody, regardless of the reason, then that's fine. This nation is a mess socially because we approach problems by looking at people in groups (this law included actually). It makes things way more complicated than they need to be. Nobody has the right to force a business to serve them.

You disagree with pretty much the entire court system in the United States.  Just wanted to let you know that.

• Reply 73 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by specialflav View Post

Freedom= for liberals only. The rest of us can just go screw ourselves I guess.

If you choose to practice homosexual acts, that's your right. If I choose to follow the bibles guidance on homosexuality, that's my right.

The bible does not give me permission to be cruel or intolerant towards anyone, homosexual or not. You are my fellow man and I will feed you if your hungry and cloth you if you are cold. You deserve all the kindness and respect in the world, just like everyone else. But it you want to be part of a religion that allows those who practice homosexuality, it's not mine.

If you force your way in, you will have only succeeded at injecting yourself into an organization that has different ideals and beliefs than you. I'm not sure why you would even want that.

Freedom of religion not only protects my right to worship the way I want, but it also offers you the same right. And it also protects you from being forced into a religion that doesn't align with your personal choices. Unlike, say, many parts of the Middle East where you are forced to be a specific state religion, even if you don't believe in it.

If you are liberal and believe in everyone's right to make their own choices, then please respect mine.

You don't see the hypocrisy in your post?

Lets break this down real nice and simple.   Our economy is based on the idea of exchanging money for goods or services.   The idea is, you put a price on something, and I have the money, I can purchase that item/service.   You think a business should be able to advertise an item or service to the public, but then deny service when someone comes to them with money, simply based on belief?   If that is the case, shouldn't that business have to implicitly state in there advertisement, on the entrance to the place of business, or in any place conduct business that they will not serve the LGBT community?  I bet it would be a lot different if they were required to put a big old sticker on their door stating  "LGBT not welcome".  Really jibes well with that whole "Love thy Neighbor" thing.   And somehow, that is not descrimination?  Replace LGBT with black, jew, muslim, etc, and see how well that works for you.   Keep burying your head in the sand.

• Reply 74 of 492

This article gets it right. Tim Cook is a hypocrite of the highest order.

http://t.co/OrQDVrHXva

• Reply 75 of 492
    Quote:

This article gets it right. Tim Cook is a hypocrite of the highest order.

http://t.co/OrQDVrHXva

You.  Calling Tim Cook a hypocrite.

Now my day is complete.

• Reply 76 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

Do I really need to spell this out for you?  Are you saying all the companies who are saying the exact same thing as me (Apple, Yelp, Salesforce, Lilly, NCAA to name just a few) are talking out of their backsides?  If its all the same to you, I'll take their word over some random person on a forum who seems to be arguing just for the sake of it.

One example?  OK, how about a valued Apple employee in Indiana who is discriminated against because of this law and feels he can no longer live in the state.  He leaves the state and is unable to get a job with Apple at his new location.  Apple then has to hire a new resource.  That costs money.  Therefore material harm has been caused to Apple because of this ridiculous legislation.  Or do you think employees grow on trees and can be plucked off at will at no cost?

Its really not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Wow you're really reaching there. 

• Reply 77 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

You.  Calling Tim Cook a hypocrite.

Now my day is complete.

Sorry if you find the truth humorous. ;)

• Reply 78 of 492
    Quote:

No.  What I find humorous is that you would even deign to use the word "truth."  Oh, and I find it humorous that you would link to that site as some sort of basis for your opinion.  

If those are the sorts of people you want to hang with, feel free.  AFAIC, though, welcome to my blocked list.

• Reply 79 of 492
    If a business was anti-gay, word would get out fast on the Internet. 1% of businesses would actually do this and you'd know not to go there.
  • Reply 80 of 492
    Quote:

You do realize that LGBT are considered a protected class in half of the states that have similar existing laws?  Also, in many of these states the laws apply only to government action, not to private transactions?   But you would rather read some blog that obfuscates the truth.  And the Russia/chinese comparison is a bit of a stretch don't you think, since Apple is an American company?  How would we feel in America if a prominent Chinese company was trying to overtly influence public policy?