Cook says discriminatory 'religious freedom' laws are dangerous, calls for action

18911131425

Comments

  • Reply 201 of 492
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    aaronj wrote: »

    Honest question: Sarcasm?

    Well, you are automatically deemed a bigot if you do not believe in same sex marriage.

    I find THAT offensive.
  • Reply 202 of 492
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,536member

    What is there to believe? Same sex marriage exists, quit using that word 'believe' as if it means something.

  • Reply 203 of 492
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by msantti View Post





    Well, you are automatically deemed a bigot if you do not believe in same sex marriage.



    I find THAT offensive.



    Sorry, that makes no sense whatsoever.  Being actively against gay marriage -- or, hell, for that matter gay people in general -- has an effect on other people's lives.

     

    OTOH, someone being gay has no effect on your life.

  • Reply 204 of 492
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    flaneur wrote: »
    It's probably going to add to "Apple's bottom line," in your utilitarian words. No one reasonable expects Apple to poke its nose so far into other countries' affairs.

    Why not? Can you guess? Answer: Apple is an American company! Was that so hard?

    Some shareholders will not like this.

    Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

    Just not sure if getting on the soap box is always the best thing.
  • Reply 205 of 492
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    aaronj wrote: »

    Sorry, that makes no sense whatsoever.  Being actively against gay marriage -- or, hell, for that matter gay people in general -- has an effect on other people's lives.

    OTOH, someone being gay has no effect on your life.

    Make sure you tell that to your guy Obama who supported a bill in Illinois as a senator like the one in Indiana.
    He later changed his tune on the subject when he realized he needed votes.
  • Reply 206 of 492
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by msantti View Post





    Make sure you tell that to your guy Obama who supported a bill in Illinois as a senator like the one in Indiana.

    He later changed his tune on the subject when he realized he needed votes.



    MY guy Obama?!  You don't know me.  Don't pretend you do.

     

    Did I vote for the guy?  You effin' betcha!  What were my freakin' options?!  Am I particularly happy with the job he's done?  Nope.  But this is the often backwards country in which I live in.

     

    And I see that you didn't address the point I made at all.  To the block list.

  • Reply 207 of 492
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

     

    What is there to believe? Same sex marriage exists, quit using that word 'believe' as if it means something.




    Damn, I should have picked up on that.  Good point.

     

    OTOH, the Venn diagram of the people who don't "believe" in gay marriage and the people who don't "believe" in evolution and the people who don't "believe" the universe is more than 6,000 years old probably has a LOT of area overlap.

  • Reply 208 of 492
    I don't know. Sharia law has death penalty for homosexuality. I am not sure if recent fight in court in Texas that prevented parallel justice system based on Sharia law was so bad that you keep accusing Texas of bigotery.

    Yes if they let this happen some individuals including Tim himself could be concerned while visiting Austin and other parts of Texas.
  • Reply 209 of 492
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    aaronj wrote: »

    MY guy Obama?!  You don't know me.  Don't pretend you do.

    Did I vote for the guy?  You effin' betcha!  What were my freakin' options?!  Am I particularly happy with the job he's done?  Nope.  But this is the often backwards country in which I live in.

    And I see that you didn't address the point I made at all.  To the block list.

    So he is your guy.

    Typical liberal. Just ignore when you can't win.

    And if you don't like this country. Please feel free to leave. :)
  • Reply 210 of 492
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,694member
    msantti wrote: »
    Make sure you tell that to your guy Obama who supported a bill in Illinois as a senator like the one in Indiana.
    He later changed his tune on the subject when he realized he needed votes.

    Seriously, you think Obama is a closeted homophobe? Did you bother to research the reason for his original vote, or the actual language of the bill? More likely you are just parroting something you heard in the anti-Obama echo chamber.
  • Reply 211 of 492
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,065member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post



    You're making a broad statement that is unrelated to my particular comment.

     

    Yours was an equally broad statement.  I fail to see how I didn't address your assertion (which appears to treat an apple like an orange).

  • Reply 212 of 492
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,536member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

     



    Damn, I should have picked up on that.  Good point.

     

    OTOH, the Venn diagram of the people who don't "believe" in gay marriage and the people who don't "believe" in evolution and the people who don't "believe" the universe is more than 6,000 years old probably has a LOT of area overlap.


     

    Of course he's magically not going to anwser my comment.

     

    If someone asks me if I believe in God I don't say I don't believe, I just say that such a thing doesn't exist, just like I'm not going to say that I don't believe in unicorns. Saying "I don't believe" puts atheists in a negative position, as if they are the ones denying something.

  • Reply 213 of 492
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post



    Article also mentions a Illinois law similar to the Indiana one. Passed by liberals including our future Dear Leader Barack Obama.



    Not a word from the canaries when that was passed.



    But its a big deal now.

     

    Illinois has LGBT civil protections, Indiana does not. They also aren't as similar as you were told, and just take as fact.

  • Reply 214 of 492
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post



    I don't know. Sharia law has death penalty for homosexuality. I am not sure if recent fight in court in Texas that prevented parallel justice system based on Sharia law was so bad that you keep accusing Texas of bigotery.



    Yes if they let this happen some individuals including Tim himself could be concerned while visiting Austin and other parts of Texas.



    Oh, I see.  So because Ted Bundy likely killed more people than Zodiac, that means that Zodiac was really "OK."

     

    As long as something is worse than you are, you're alright.  Nice to know.

  • Reply 215 of 492
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,694member
    msantti wrote: »
    So he is your guy.

    Typical liberal. Just ignore when you can't win.

    And if you don't like this country. Please feel free to leave. :)

    I think your state tried that once. Too bad they didn't succeed.
  • Reply 216 of 492
    For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

    For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. (?Romans? ?1?:?21, 26-27? ESV)

    This tells us that not only is homosexuality sin, but that it is not a natural relation. God, as punishment, is giving the culture over to their unnatural desires.

    Christ says of himself:
    Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. (?Matthew? ?12?:?30? ESV)

    The gospel message is offensive, which is why many hate it. Scripture declares this with out any shame. It goes to show you the path of the culture isn't necessarily the right one. None of these issues are new, as the Preacher declares in Ecclisiastes: "There is nothing new underneath the sun." Rome experienced some of the exact same things, and where is it now?

    All this said, I would not turn away someone who is homosexual, because I'm just as bad a sinner as the next, a point the apostle Paul makes several times (he considers himself the chief of sinners, and all his good works are dirty rags). We are not supposed to judge those who have not accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as their savior. That is His job, but we are to be judgmental among believers (iron sharpening iron). Unbelievers are going to do what they are going to do. We are called to show love to those who aren't believers in an attempt to win them over to be a follower of Christ. Be judgemental is not the way to win them over. You address the sin after they are saved.

    I forgot to add it is because of this, true believers are more tolerant than secular liberals.
  • Reply 217 of 492
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,536member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post



    And if you don't like this country. Please feel free to leave. image

     

    America is an always changing country, it may be the only country that is so clearly turned towards change in the world. It's not a country for white people only, or for catholics only, it's for everyone. Saying that if you don't like something in the US you have to leave shows a deep misunderstanding of what the USA are and is completely in opposition with American values. In the USA, if you don't like something, you fight to change it.

     

    I am not American, and yet I find it extremely funny to see how many Americans undersand this point less than I do.

  • Reply 218 of 492
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,536member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post





    I forgot to add it is because of this, true believers are more tolerant than secular liberals.



    That's probably why true believers have hindered the advancements of science and social progress for a thousand years and that black rights, women rights, gay rights, even animal rights, have been recognized thanks to secular thinking developed in the past 300 years.

  • Reply 219 of 492
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

     

     

    America is an always changing country, it may be the only country that is so clearly turned towards change in the world. It's not a country for white people only, or for catholics only, it's for everyone. Saying that if you don't like something in the US you have to leave shows a deep misunderstanding of what the USA are and is completely in opposition will American values. In the USA, if you don't like something, you fight to change it.

     

    I am not American, and yet I find it extremely funny to see how many Americans undersand this point less than I do.




    There are a great deal of Americans who believe that you either have to accept the entire picture, and love it without reservation or you're un-American.  You can't criticize slavery, for instance, because you're saying that the US did something bad.  You just need to accept that it was "bad" and move on silently.

     

    And there is more than one state legislature that flies the Stars and Bars (more or less, the Confederate flag) above their statehouses.  

     

    This is a very strange place. :)

  • Reply 220 of 492
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    But this isn't Tim Cook's personal opinion. This editorial was written on behalf of Apple the company. If it had just been Tim Cook private citizen I wouldn't care (even though I still wouldn't agree with what he said).

    Hey, at least you got this right. Now it's time to figure out why the best leader in American business, who leads the best company in American business, would take a stand on this issue on behalf of the company, the board, and the employees.

    If you can't resolve the struggle in your mind, guess who we're going to have to side with? Do you want to be wasting your thin resources on fighting Apple's stand on cultural progress?
Sign In or Register to comment.