Apple to reveal fiscal Q2 2015 earnings on April 27

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited April 2015
Apple today announced that the results of its second fiscal quarter will be discussed in a conference call scheduled for Monday, April 27 at 2 P.M. Pacific time, or 5 P.M. Eastern.

As usual, the public will be able to follow along through a livestream from Apple's Investor News website. The call should be hosted by Apple executives, who will answer questions from invited analysts once the results are declared.

Figures will likely be less dramatic than those of the previous two quarters, which encompassed not only the holiday season but the launch of Apple Pay, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3. During Apple's first fiscal quarter ending in December, Apple took in $74.6 billion in revenue driven largely by iPhone sales, which hit 74.5 million units.

If trends continue, sales could be down sequentially, but up year-over-year. One question mark, however, is the iPad, which has seen a gradual decline in sales over recent quarters. This is typically blamed on multiple factors: the release of larger iPhones, feature stagnation, slower upgrade cycles, and/or more competition from rival devices -- if primarily outside the US market.

In its guidance for the second quarter, Apple called for revenue between $52 billion and $55 billion, and a gross margin between 38.5 and 39.5 percent. The company is also expected to make another dividend payout.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Prediction: DOOMED! :)
  • Reply 2 of 50
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    This should include a dividend increase
  • Reply 3 of 50

And again there will be much gnashing of teeth.

• Reply 4 of 50
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    ifij775 wrote: »

How about, "I wish they would include a dividend increase," or "Based on my calculations, it would be in Apple's best interest to include a dividend increase. Here's why…"? Or did you mean to say, "Apple will likely announce the amount of their stated dividend increase."?
  • Reply 5 of 50
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Yeah, we sold a lot of stuff and made a lot of money, more of the same next quarter.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    solipsismy wrote: »
    ifij775 wrote: »

How about, "I wish they would include a dividend increase," or "Based on my calculations, it would be in Apple's best interest to include a dividend increase. Here's why…"?

Because Cook has already promised a dividend increase; it's just a question of how much.

I'd like to see a yield of 3%.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Reactions to a quarter that was less dramatic than the previous one may be tempered by preliminary sales figures for the ?Watch which will have been on sale for over two weeks.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

And again there will be much gnashing of teeth.

And rending of garments.

• Reply 9 of 50
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Ha! I just sold a boatload of April 24 call options against my Apple shares to take advantage of the volatility premium associated with earnings. With earnings now announced to come out on the following Monday, the premium on the 24th is going to turn to dust! Tomorrow morning I'm going to wake up to a nice bonus. Sweet!
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

How about, "I wish they would include a dividend increase," or "Based on my calculations, it would be in Apple's best interest to include a dividend increase. Here's why…"? Or did you mean to say, "Apple will likely announce the amount of their stated dividend increase."?

I wish they'd get rid of the dividend and increase the buyback to suss out the fair weather investors.

• Reply 11 of 50
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I wish they'd get rid of the dividend and increase the buyback to suss out the fair weather investors.

Don't the dividends help keep investors invested? IOW, help keep the short term traders at bay? If not, I would love a great explanation as to how dividends help a company.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    is anyone else worried about the strong dollar really hammering the value of overseas sales? The dollar has appreciated about 30% year over year on the Euro and most other European currencies. Apple hasn't raised their hardware prices much it doesn't seem. If they're taking the full brunt of the currency fluctuation then their gross margins could really be affected. I'm not selling any shares, but I could see this limiting the gains made by moving more iPhones.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Cook will announce a dividend increase as well as expanded share buyback. iPhone sales for the quarter will exceed 62 million. iPad sales will slip but Mac sales should climb. Add in new revenues from ApplePay and its a very decent quarter. Also, iWatch initial sales/ships will be known by 4/27. Expecting a surge to $137-$140 after earnings.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Don't the dividends help keep investors invested? IOW, help keep the short term traders at bay? If not, I would love a great explanation as to how dividends help a company.

In my experience, companies that offer a dividend are usually ones which might be profitable but with little clue as to how to invest their profits to strategically grow their company, or they pay dividends to retain investors with an expectation of regular payouts from their stocks (for retirees, for example).

• Reply 15 of 50

I just want my jacket...
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I just want my jacket...

Jacket? I never got a jacket. :\

• Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

is anyone else worried about the strong dollar really hammering the value of overseas sales? The dollar has appreciated about 30% year over year on the Euro and most other European currencies. Apple hasn't raised their hardware prices much it doesn't seem. If they're taking the full brunt of the currency fluctuation then their gross margins could really be affected. I'm not selling any shares, but I could see this limiting the gains made by moving more iPhones.

What was last quarter's guidance for this upcoming quarter?

• Reply 18 of 50

What was last quarter's guidance for this upcoming quarter?

Very bullish, as I recall. I think Apple's upper target was $55 billion revenue.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Yes. it'll be $0.47...lol. I'll be selling my shares at $135 and will buy them back in June, let's say at $120? :)

• Reply 20 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

IIRC that was a factor in last quarters numbers as well. Maestri and Cook have been warning it'll continue to be an issue.