Analyst predicts 1M Apple Watches sold over launch weekend, 2.3M by June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 147
    zxlgozxlgo Posts: 3member
    Is It really a solid prediction? I don't think it would be beaten by the iPad, Here are great Apple Watch: http://www.tulsiny.com/apple-watch-apps/ You will find that they are really greater than iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 147
    zxlgozxlgo Posts: 3member
    Good products
  • Reply 23 of 147
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the resolution on the 42mm is 312x390, at 302 PPI. Doing the math puts the screen at 1.65" diagonally.
    The 38mm is 272x340, at 290PPI. That figures out to a 1.5" display.

The numbers are probably good, since devs would need to know the resolutions for apps.

On their own those numbers look fine, but having only a 0.15" inch difference between display sizes on the diagonal for a 4mm height difference seems off to me. Just by looking at it I'm thinking more like 0.2", but I'm certainly not using any science to come to those values.
  • Reply 24 of 147
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Most other offerings are about 100 dollars less. It seems a no-brainer to go with the Apple Watch instead of the mess offered by others. I couldn't see anyone choosing another smartwatch or fitness band over the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 25 of 147
    tcasey wrote: »
    i think apple will sell less then a billion watches and so that's a failure...i have no data to support this claim...hehe

Gut feeling can be right, but I feel you're being too pessimistic.

I think if Apple sold 900 million watches in the first year, they'd be chuffed. It would probably make a noticeable impact in their profits.
  • Reply 26 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

Most other offerings are about 100 dollars less. It seems a no-brainer to go with the Apple Watch instead of the mess offered by others. I couldn't see anyone choosing another smartwatch or fitness band over the Apple Watch.

You underestimate the pigheadedness of some people.

Also, there's always the poor.

• Reply 27 of 147
    rp2011 wrote: »

You underestimate the pigheadedness of some people.

Also, there's always the poor.

I don't think the poor are contemplating any smartwatch, much like most of the rest of us.
  • Reply 28 of 147
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

HAHA INDEED.

More important will it be a great long term device...

• Reply 29 of 147

I'm not sure if that will be enough AppleWatches sold to be considered a successful launch.  Expectations are sky-high and anything less will surely be considered a failure.  Tim Cook had said he didn't exactly know how well AppleWatch would sell early on.  It might take time for sales to gather up steam.  Still, the anti-Apple factions will be out in force ready to tear the AppleWatch to shreds.  I'm sure short battery life will be the main complaint because otherwise that smartwatch seems quite meticulous in design and craftsmanship.  Those things don't crash to the point of rebooting, right?

• Reply 30 of 147
    tcasey wrote: »
    HAHA INDEED.

More important will it be a great long term device...

It will be quite something if Apple can make a success of it despite the overwhelming odds.

If anyone can make wearables work, Apple can, but I don't see any wearables catching on. People have quite enough tech, and they don't want to be attached to it like some dependent umbilical cord.
  • Reply 31 of 147
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"Apple Watch sales could reach 40 to 50 million units by 2017..."

The only thing I can see wrong with this particular baseless speculation is...

it seems not to take into account the looming global wrist shortage some of us are predicting...

• Reply 32 of 147

I won't buy one unless Tim Cook puts LBGT and African American photos on the box cover.  Anything less is discrimination - as has always been the case with Apple marketing.  Have you ever noticed, you won't see many LBGT or Blacks or Mexicans on their marketing pieces. It's generally Anglos, Asians, and Pets.

• Reply 33 of 147
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Apple Watch will be a massive fail. They will see an initial sales surge as fanboys go buy whatever has an Apple logo on it. But after that, sales will tank as people discover what a piece of crap it is. It's a $350 brick that sits on your wrist. It can't do crap without an iPhone. And, it needs charging everyday. Whoever wants to change a watch everyday??? Duh!?

Jobs would have never let this watch out of the labs. It's not ready for prime time. Instead, they should have released the new Apple TV with gaming attached and iTunes Store. That's the next big thing!
  • Reply 34 of 147
    boredumb wrote: »
    "Apple Watch sales could reach 40 to 50 million units by 2017..."The only thing I can see wrong with this particular baseless speculation is...
    it seems not to take into account the looming global wrist shortage some of us are predicting...

To paraphrase the Borg: Wrististance is futile.

(About fucking time! I've literally been waiting on that setup for months!!! Thank you!)
  • Reply 35 of 147

I actually found a black person on the Apple website, but he's presented in a blue T shirt as an Apple Store employee, not a user.  Come on Apple, drop the 'Apple Customer' stereotype, and be more representative of all races, and sexual orientations, not just Anglos and Asians.

• Reply 36 of 147
    mstone wrote: »
    I'll probably order one on the first day even though I originally said I wasn't interested. A few hundred dollars is not so much to try it out. I know all my friends are going to think I'm a brainwashed sheep since I already said I wasn't going to buy one. Oh well maybe they are right.
    Same here, and a new macbook too.
  • Reply 37 of 147
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

It's on backorder.

Lol, yeah, "manufacturing delays"
  • Reply 38 of 147
    Same here, and a new macbook too.

I think I'm going to wait on the MacBook and instead just buy some cheaper Win notebook with USB-C for power laster this year (hopefully) and a new 15" MBP as soon as they get the new trackpad and whatever else they come with. I have to assume if the 15" didn't get the reasonably simply update to the Force Track trackpad, like its 13" brethren, that there are some other major changes in the works. The 15" MBP is 0.04" thinner than the 13" MBP but considering that the Force Trackpad is in both the 11" and 13" MBAs, and the new MacBook, that it can't be due to that aspect of the design it wasn't updated.
  • Reply 39 of 147
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the resolution on the 42mm is 312x390, at 302 PPI. Doing the math puts the screen at 1.65" diagonally.

The 38mm is 272x340, at 290PPI. That figures out to a 1.5" display.

The numbers are probably good, since devs would need to know the resolutions for apps.

It is difficult to measure the diagonal of a rounded rectangle. See image. If for example I measured to the theoretical extended corners on the 42mm it would measure exactly 2".

Sorry about that I'm not very good with inches

• Reply 40 of 147
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    But what does he say about the Apple television set

indeed - how about AI cites how accurate analysts are when citing them?