Apple Watch TV ad makes primetime debut during NBC's 'The Voice'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2015
Apple's first television commercial for its upcoming Apple Watch wearable premiered during Tuesday night's airing of NBC show "The Voice," marking a start to what will no doubt become a full media blitz over the coming weeks.

The minute-long spot, titled "Apple Watch - The Watch Reimagined," first debuted onstage at Apple's "Spring Forward" event earlier in March, boasting an artistic style similar to previous iPhone and iPad ads.

Set to a remixed instrumental version of "Running Behind" by Holychild, the spot starts out by showing off Apple Watch's Digital Crown, which is being touted as a game changing wearables user interface.

A series of glory shots highlighting hardware design follow, transitioning into software at around the 20 second mark. Apple's built-in watch faces, complications and apps take center stage, including iPhone connected features like checking the weather, accepting phone calls and viewing Maps, among others. Passbook and music also make appearances, but Apple spent the most time focusing on Watch's messaging and health monitoring capabilities.

Only three third-party apps are featured alongside Apple's software, developed by American Airlines, BMW and Fandango.

Apple's first Apple Watch commercial ends with the tag line, "The Watch is Coming," before flashing the launch date on screen.

Apple Watch preorders start on April 10, the same day Apple Stores and Apple Watch shops open their doors to customer "try-on" previews. The device will become available on April 24 in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong and Japan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26

Debut? I saw an ad for Apple Watch while watching NCAA basketball last Saturday.

• Reply 2 of 26
    Ugh. That music. So naff.

It's all about women, this Apple Watch. They're trying to be all things to all men in the ad, to cacophonous effect, but the overall message is effeminate and twee.

Oh for the days of the good ads. The iPod ones, I'm a Mac etc. I'm not sure we'll ever see a good ad from Apple again, which makes me sad.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I'm pretty sure I've seen this ad on ABC for the past two weeks during Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Maybe it's the first 'prime time' ad, but it has been playing on various programs on various channels at various times for at least a few days now.

It does a nice job of showing off the watch and its possibilities well, but the majorette-style drum roll and the music leave me cold.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's all about women, this Apple Watch. They're trying to be all things to all men in the ad, to cacophonous effect, but the overall message is effeminate and twee.

Oh for the days of the good ads. The iPod ones, I'm a Mac etc. I'm not sure we'll ever see a good ad from Apple again, which makes me sad.

• Reply 6 of 26
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Love it. Nicely done.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Love it. Nicely done.

Exactly. The music lends a magical feeling to the device. Especially from 0:18 forward.

• Reply 8 of 26

I definitely saw this during NCAA playoffs last Saturday.

• Reply 9 of 26
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I think it's a good ad. Even knowing everything I do about the device and being fairly lukewarm on the device I am left with a desire to see more after the quick minute has passed.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Yeah, I have seen it for at least a week now.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member

The music, like the watch, is a genY product.

"Don't criticize what you don't understand" - bob dylan

When it's as thin as my TAG and has a camera and the battery lasts a week, I'm interested.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Not sure how you come to the conclusion after this good ad. 

Also, the music is perfect.

• Reply 13 of 26
    The aluminum spot got me thinking...could this alloy be used in the Apple Car? Much stronger. Light weight. Me thinks so.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Martelli View Post

The aluminum spot got me thinking...could this alloy be used in the Apple Car? Much stronger. Light weight. Me thinks so.

It wouldn't be hard, just expensive. Ford's the leader in aluminium car production, so Apple would benefit from the fact that Alcoa and other companies are already geared up with a lot of CapEx investment.

• Reply 15 of 26
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    xixo wrote: »

When it's as thin as my TAG and has a camera and the battery lasts a week, I'm interested.
    Since it's already thinner than my Submariner I'm interested now.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    You mean this ...
  • Reply 17 of 26
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

You mean this ...

I think that's stainless steel.

• Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

you would like a camera wouldn't you pervert

• Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Since it's already thinner than my Submariner I'm interested now.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's thinner (or as thin) as my current Casio. I really don't think people have been paying attention to watches much, most of them aren't that thin. Mine's thicker because it's analog, digital, atomic, and solar powered, that's a lot of stuff to cram into a watch.

P.S. That's not my wrist.

• Reply 20 of 26
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo View Post

Poor man would never post again. Is that really what you want?