Analyst predicts 1M Apple Watches sold over launch weekend, 2.3M by June

Comments

• Reply 61 of 147
    rf9 wrote: »
    That's funny. You know it can be worn on either arm, right? The UI flips for the other arm.

Yes, but it's not the same, because the crown is then at the bottom. I've already heard a complaint that it doesn't work as well the wrong way round. I suspect it doesn't look as good, either.

Seeing as left-handers are well known to represent a high proportion of designers, I'm surprised that Ive missed this. In his desire to avoid the middle, he's enacted the law of unintended consequences.
  • Reply 62 of 147
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That's not a good way to measure the screen size. You're including a huge black margin which can't display anything. The actual usable screen is surprisingly small.

You don't wonder why you get essentially no replies, do you? The way I see it, you're basically posting to an audience of one, maybe two, that actually view your comments as read-worthy. The rest of the veterans/mavens here have you on their block list because they tire of your constant, consistently negative barrage.

So, basically, you're posting comments strictly for self-satisfaction….which kinda defeats the purpose of participating in a forum, IMO.

Just a reality check...

• Reply 63 of 147
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Yes, but it's not the same, because the crown is then at the bottom. I've already heard a complaint that it doesn't work as well the wrong way round. I suspect it doesn't look as good, either.

Seeing as left-handers are well known to represent a high proportion of designers, I'm surprised that Ive missed this. In his desire to avoid the middle, he's enacted the law of unintended consequences.

Ben you really should go download a copy of my blocking tool so you don't have to read the absolute idiotic crap you post. Give it a try, everyone else has, although I'm still going with the comedy gold meme.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/185450/apples-tim-cook-plans-to-give-away-all-of-his-money/40#post_2699793

• Reply 64 of 147
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    The interesting thing about this announcement is that they'll only have 1 million available at launch.
  • Reply 65 of 147
    That's not a good way to measure the screen size. You're including a huge black margin which can't display anything. The actual usable screen is surprisingly small.
    You don't wonder why you get essentially no replies, do you? The way I see it, you're basically posting to an audience of one, maybe two, that actually view your comments as read-worthy. The rest of the veterans/mavens here have you on their block list because they tire of your constant, consistently negative barrage.

So, basically, you're posting comments strictly for self-satisfaction….which kinda defeats the purpose of participating in a forum, IMO.

Just a reality check...

I've had seven replies just in this one thread, which is great, though I'd also be happy to have none.

If people wish to engage, that's wonderful; if they don't, that's also fine.
  • Reply 66 of 147
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    If I slept through my maths classes, then you learnt yours on another planet.

The 42mm Edition is $12,000, not $15,000. Also, I didn't decree the watch a failure at 10 million sales but fewer than 10 million.

Perhaps you were nodding off in your reading classes, for which I forgive you.
    You are correct. Some configurations of the 42 mm ?Watch Edition are priced at $12,000 rather than $15,000. These have a margin of only $9000 each or 300%. You are also correct that you said less than 10 million sales. However, you did not specify how many sales less than 10 million. Forgive me for rounding 9,999,999 to 10 million.

Is this what you have been reduced to? After all of your caterwauling about the certain and dramatic failure of the ?Watch, you now quibble over whether the Edition will earn Apple a profit margin of 300% or 400%?

My, how the mighty have fallen!
  • Reply 67 of 147
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

I've had seven replies just in this one thread, which is great, though I'd also be happy to have none.

You're right, based on the majority of those seven replies, I'd be happier with none, also.

• Reply 68 of 147
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I've definitely tilted away from the Fitbit Charge HR to the black 42mm ?Watch Sport, but I'm not sure I'm going to do a pre-order purchase.

Ha ha. How is that? For the record, I'm tilted away from "let's wait and see" in September to "A Sport here I come" in January to "Stainless Steel" now. :)

• Reply 69 of 147
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    No need to guess about it ...

• Reply 70 of 147
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Well, Ben, it will be Cook's first failure because this is also his first product launch worth noting. Every other financial success Apple has had since 2011 is a result of either (i) SJ's direct creation or (ii) evolutionary releases of the former.

I actually predict the AW will fare even worse after the initial adrenaline rush; bad UI, terrible physical design, pricing/model confusion à la Performas/Quadras/LCs and ridiculous battery life for a wearable thing.

Those says about your taste more than the Watch itself.

• Reply 71 of 147
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:

It will be quite something if Apple can make a success of it despite the overwhelming odds.

If anyone can make wearables work, Apple can, but I don't see any wearables catching on. People have quite enough tech, and they don't want to be attached to it like some dependent umbilical cord.

If long term the watch replaces the phone then it could work...not sure if that could or makes sense...its all very star trek.

• Reply 72 of 147
    mac_128 wrote: »
    No need to guess about it ...

Looks kind of wonky with the crown that low.

I read Ive's reasoning for not having a crown in the middle and I'm not convinced by it. It sounded like a load of pretentious twaddle, about getting away from the traditional paradigm, that sort of thing. Yet he still sticks a load of very conventional analogue watch faces on it.
  • Reply 73 of 147
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How is the 42mm measured? Diagonally? I'm thinking to mock up one with a 3D printer.

That seems like a lot of work when you can see the size in the Apple Store app on your phone. I mean, yeah, it isn't 3D, but that is a lot of effort for an idea of size...

• Reply 74 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

I have to bookmark this thread so I can come back in a year and re-read all of the doom predictions after this sells 20 million.

Just read Bens posts....

• Reply 75 of 147
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Just a reality check...

Let him masturbate in his own way...

• Reply 76 of 147
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Honest question: Has there ever been a left handed wristwatch?

Guess I posted a day early.

http://www.swissluxury.com/panerai-watches-luminor-base-left-handed.htm

• Reply 77 of 147

I've been an Apple fan since 1997, and have owned every category of Apple products since then. The Apple Watch is the first product that I have no interest in. Let's see what the other millions of fans decide to do.

• Reply 78 of 147
    rf9rf9 Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Looks kind of wonky with the crown that low.

I read Ive's reasoning for not having a crown in the middle and I'm not convinced by it. It sounded like a load of pretentious twaddle, about getting away from the traditional paradigm, that sort of thing. Yet he still sticks a load of very conventional analogue watch faces on it.

It actually looks more useful to me that way but I've never used on before (no one here h

as.)  Going on looks and assumptions alone I think I almost prefer it this way.Honestly I don't think it matters if the button or crown are on top or bottom.  You'll get used to operating it either way.  It's not enough of an issue to get your panties in a bunch over, though.  It works for both lefties and righties.

• Reply 79 of 147

I'm getting one and I don't even have an iPhone.

• Reply 80 of 147
    dunks wrote: »
    This little tidbit has conviced me to get the 42mm version:
    dunks wrote: »
    This little tidbit has conviced me to get the 42mm version:

"Apple Watch battery performance claims are based on test results from the 38-mm Apple Watch. A 42-mm Apple Watch typically experiences longer battery life."

http://www.apple.com/au/watch/battery.html

"Apple Watch battery performance claims are based on test results from the 38-mm Apple Watch. A 42-mm Apple Watch typically experiences longer battery life."

http://www.apple.com/au/watch/battery.html

My wife and I tried on both versions at the developer preview. The band on the 42mm was too slack on her and the 38mm band did not even fit my slightly larger wrist on the loosest notch. Best thing to do is preorder both and return the one that doesn't fit you, otherwise try it on in-store first.