Amazon Dash Buttons bring consumerism to Internet of Things

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Exactly.

I suppose they don't have anyone there to reign in the overexcited ID folks and get them to stop with the ridiculous "air design" projects, and get on with solving real design problems.

Hmmm, kind of sounds like Apple these days, now that Steve is gone and Jony's permitted to run amok f-ing up the iOS and OS X user interfaces . . . (can someone please stop him.)

iOS and OSX look better than ever. Jony is "fucking" anything up, but it's amazing how you have so little humility that you're confident that the most well regarded designer on the planet, who has proven himself a million times over, directly designed pricey products that sold a total of almost 100,000,000 units last quarter, with the highest customer sat #s in the industry has a shitty design sense- instead of you. 

No, noone is going to "stop him" because he's not sitting in a fucking basement making these decisions himself, and these products that you claim are "fucked up" are selling better than they ever have, smashing all records. So grow up. 

• Reply 42 of 75
    I didn't think this was an April Fool's joke, as I saw a banner for this on Amazon. However I did erroneously think the reports of "powdered alcohol" was a prank. Best new product idea? Adult Pixy Stix!
  • Reply 43 of 75
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    Interesting, but how often do you really need to order detergent, once a month at the very most? Silly to have a dedicated button for one product out of dozens that you buy regularly.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    Not even going to think about it until tomorrow. Still don't believe it's not a joke.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member
    April Fools!
  • Reply 46 of 75
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    I don't get it. Why not just have an Amazon Favorites app on your phone with all of the items you buy regularly. One tap and a new order is placed. Instead I'm supposed to stick stupid buttons around the house? What a waste of resources. More plastic for the ocean.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member

I just don't get this at all.  It's like going backwards.  What's wrong with say loading up a Amazon App, and scanning a Bar code once and that works on anything!  You can then go into the App and just click on things you scanned in and have them ship to you.  Hell, have some things auto ship to you weekly, or monthly.    Just scroll down you list, clicking on what you need and hit order and done!!!  Who really wants a bunch of buttons stuck everywhere?

• Reply 48 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    zroger73 wrote: »
    I, too, was all but certain this was an early April Fool's joke.

I am not convinced it isn't yet .... :D
  • Reply 49 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    I just don't get this at all.  It's like going backwards.  What's wrong with say loading up a Amazon App, and scanning a Bar code once and that works on anything!  You can then go into the App and just click on things you scanned in and have them ship to you.  Hell, have some things auto ship to you weekly, or monthly.    Just scroll down you list, clicking on what you need and hit order and done!!!  Who really wants a bunch of buttons stuck everywhere?

I'm starting to see their logic a bit more on the idea and implementation. If a person is in the laundry room and they see they are about to run out of detergent, just pressing a physical button on the wall or in the closet to initiate the order process is much easier than opening an app and searching. I get it, however I think many folks won't want to be locked in to Amazon in this way. Their prices are not always the best.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ^ People who want the convenience of just touching a button, rather than navigating through an app.

I don't particularly want this, but it's very strange that there's so many here who are all up in "I don't get this"  zone.  It's about convenience and ease of use.  Like the camera shortcut on your phone so you don't have to unlock and then open the camera app.  But an even shorter cut than that.  One button press and new toilet roll is coming; one less thing to remember to do
  • Reply 51 of 75
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    slurpy wrote: »
    iOS and OSX look better than ever. Jony is "fucking" anything up, but it's amazing how you have so little humility that you're confident that the most well regarded designer on the planet, who has proven himself a million times over, directly designed pricey products that sold a total of almost 100,000,000 units last quarter, with the highest customer sat #s in the industry has a shitty design sense- instead of you. 

No, noone is going to "stop him" because he's not sitting in a fucking basement making these decisions himself, and these products that you claim are "fucked up" are selling better than they ever have, smashing all records. So grow up. 
    Actually, he is f-ing them up. But he's got cheerleaders like you to make him feel good. Every designer needs someone to limit them and set boundaries. Jony and his crew are running feral through the interface design wild lands. An area in which he has very little expertise (and it shows.) He needs to stick with HW, where his talents obviously are.
    But It's not surprising at all you like his interaction design.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    desuserign wrote: »
    Actually, he is f-ing them up. But he's got cheerleaders like you to make him feel good. Every designer needs someone to limit them and set boundaries. Jony and his crew are running feral through the interface design wild lands. An area in which he has very little expertise (and it shows.) He needs to stick with HW, where his talents obviously are.
    But It's not surprising at all you like his interaction design.

Could not agree more! I love Apple's hardware design but I don't think Jony is doing a good job with UI. Designing a physical object is a lot different from designing an interface. In many respects, I think its a bad idea to have the same designer in charge of both hardware and UI. The person to whom you responded called Jony the most respected designer on the planet. And I think there's truth to that statement - when it comes to industrial design. But not UI. The jury is still out there. So far I'm not very impressed. I'm not sure his minimalist aesthetic (of which I'm generally a big fan) works as well on screen as in the real world. But it's still better than Windows!
  • Reply 53 of 75
    slurpy wrote: »

If I apply your logic to the industry as a whole, clearly Microsoft has the most highly regarded UI designers on the planet because Windows is so popular.

Jony has more than proven himself in industrial design. He deserves all of the respect he gets. He's earned it. But none of that makes him a good UI designer. He has not yet proven himself in that area. Personally I find his efforts (and yes, he has a team...but he is in charge; it's his vision) rather mediocre thus far.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    You know what these just reminded me of? Those shitty 70's air fresheners that had the adhesive backing that people would stick all around their houses. Then when they had evaporated all their scent, either it was left there as some kind of random wall decoration, or ripped off only to leave half the adhesive backing as a reminder that the person who originally stuck it there was a complete nincompoop.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    crowley wrote: »
    I don't particularly want this, but it's very strange that there's so many here who are all up in "I don't get this"  zone.  It's about convenience and ease of use.  Like the camera shortcut on your phone so you don't have to unlock and then open the camera app.  But an even shorter cut than that.  

One button press and new toilet roll is coming; one less thing to remember to do

But somehow you can remember to buy all the other things that don't have this amazing convenient ordering system?

You can buy a 32-roll package of toilet paper. Let's say it will last 6 months.

Surely during that 6-month period you can remember to buy toilet paper again. You've been using toilet paper every day for your entire life... you know how important it is. It can't be that difficult to buy toilet paper twice a year.

Yeah... it sucks to run out of something. But it also sucks when you can't be responsible enough to maintain your household supplies.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    Apple Watch will eventually make this possible without needless sticking dongles. For example, GPS mapping indoor locations so it it displays the same button for a specific action if you so choose, or easy Siri commands like "Order more coffee" will trigger an automated order in a set quantity from a specific store.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

You know what these just reminded me of? Those shitty 70's air fresheners that had the adhesive backing that people would stick all around their houses. Then when they had evaporated all their scent, either it was left there as some kind of random wall decoration, or ripped off only to leave half the adhesive backing as a reminder that the person who originally stuck it there was a complete nincompoop.

Maybe one could collect 'em all and stick them on a flat piece of material, like a keyboard.

• Reply 58 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

But somehow you can remember to buy all the other things that don't have this amazing convenient ordering system?

You can buy a 32-roll package of toilet paper. Let's say it will last 6 months.

Surely during that 6-month period you can remember to buy toilet paper again. You've been using toilet paper every day for your entire life... you know how important it is. It can't be that difficult to buy toilet paper twice a year.

Yeah... it sucks to run out of something. But it also sucks when you can't be responsible enough to maintain your household supplies.

For a senior I could see this "service" being somewhat useful, and one thing demographic trends tell us is that the numbers of at-home seniors is going to explode over the next 20 years. They're the reason the Apple Watch (as a health device), self-driving cars and other trends are happening.

• Reply 59 of 75

Besides, it's not like these buttons help when you truly run out. Unless they feature Star Trek transporter technology. I love the convenience of ordering household supplies and consumables from Amazon. But I'm not so ridiculously lazy that I can't just grab my phone, open the shopping app, and order something I need.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    robbyx wrote: »
    Besides, it's not like these buttons help when you truly run out. Unless they feature Star Trek transporter technology. I love the convenience of ordering household supplies and consumables from Amazon. But I'm not so ridiculously lazy that I can't just grab my phone, open the shopping app, and order something I need.

Exactly.

Planning is still a critical step. You should buy enough of something to last between shopping orders.