Microsoft ditches ARM for Intel with new $499 Surface 3, its latest iPad competitor

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    crowley wrote: »
    ^ The word "disaster" is being used a lot more liberally these days....

Definitely! Along with words like "premium", "quality" and "reliability"... Or even entire statements like "99% customer satisfaction"... :no:
  • Reply 102 of 111
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Definitely! Along with words like "premium", "quality" and "reliability"... Or even entire statements like "99% customer satisfaction"... :no:

There are stats that back up those assertions. Your single datapoint does nothing to warrant "disaster".
  • Reply 103 of 111
    jungmark wrote: »
    There are stats that back up those assertions. Your single datapoint does nothing to warrant "disaster".

I'm sure there are but I still don't see your point. There are countless complaints from people around the world about the audio defects of the iPad Air 2. If you ask those people about their experience with that particular Apple product then the customer satisfaction rating would be a lot lower than 99%

Just search for "iPad Air 2 noise"
  • Reply 104 of 111
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I'm sure there are but I still don't see your point. There are countless complaints from people around the world about the audio defects of the iPad Air 2. If you ask those people about their experience with that particular Apple product then the customer satisfaction rating would be a lot lower than 99%

You think Apple is lying? How many iPad Airs have been sold? Several millions? So 10000 per million are not satisfied. That's probably where you are. Hardly a disaster.

Searching for phrases mean nothing because of two words: vocal minority.
  • Reply 105 of 111
    jungmark wrote: »

You think Apple is lying? How many iPad Airs have been sold? Several millions? So 10000 per million are not satisfied. That's probably where you are. Hardly a disaster.

Searching for phrases mean nothing because of two words: vocal minority.

I'm not sure what this audio defect is.

I haven't had any popping issues with my iPad Air 2, but I recognise the vibration and rebooting issues. Just this morning it did a soft reboot. I think it's either a recalcitrant app I have my eye on, iOS 8.2 or a combination.
  • Reply 106 of 111
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    k2kw wrote: »
    I would have been very impress if the Surface 3 had come out with the Core M chip.

The Atom chips only have HD graphics vs Graphics 5300 in the Core M.

I've met many people (IT professionals) who use and love the SP3.   I was even looking forward to the SP4, but the fact that they released this now with Windows 8.1 makes me think that it will be at least 6 months for SP4 with Win 10 to come out.   When you compare this to the MacBook that just came out it seems like Apple is skating to where the puck will be but MS is skating to where it was.    
    MS needs to get WIN 10 out or they could be in big trouble.

Yah... we have several SP3 in our office. With docking station (and screens/keyboard/lan/... attached to it), it does replace desktop quite nice... and has unparalleled portability for a full x86 device. And it still is perfectly functional tablet, albeit a bit bigger and heavier than common tablets nowadays.

Granted, we're an IT company and our engineers do require access to software tools, be it in office, on-site or from home. Hardware, too (USB authentication token and such)... so there's that.

Rumour is that SP4 will be released with Windows 10, or around that time. I'm hoping for fanless design, even if it sacrifices some performance to SP3. None of our SP3 has problem with cooling or noise, but somehow my mind just doesn't work with idea of active fan inside tablet body...
  • Reply 107 of 111
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    dewme wrote: »
    I think Microsoft has done a pretty good job with the Surface 3 of redefining the Netbook PC for 2015. Sure it can run so called "full PC" apps but unless you have the eyes of a 20 year old, a keyboard, and a mouse, and don't mind restricting yourself to fairly small data sets it'll be a UX challenge. Still don't know why Microsoft won't just concede that it needs a MacBook Air or the new MacBook type of device in their lineup to support their mainstream customer base. This floppy keyboard, kickstand, and pen arrangement is just plain silly.

The key to a handheld/tablet UX is touch enablement from top to bottom. Having a fancy app launcher doesn't do you much good if you have to reach for a mouse/pen to do the real application workflow. I see it every day sitting in meetings and people with Surface devices having to use a mouse and squinting at the tiny screen to do anything useful. Just think about the clumsiness of using the soft keyboard and the pen while sitting with the device in front of you. It's just not a natural interaction. The pen is simply a crutch that concedes that they couldn't come up with a user friendly way to deal with touch for the vast majority of Windows applications. It's not a knock on Microsoft, it's simply the state of where Windows is as they try to morph their ecosystem into a "one app runs anywhere" model. To be fair, running Word on the iPad is not a whole lot better, but at least it is somewhat touch friendly and useful in a pinch.

Maybe by 2020 they'll figure this thing out. 

The Surface should have been named the Microsoft Compromise.

Maybe because there is quite decent choice of premium ultrabooks from Asus, Samsung... new Dell XPS 13 is quite something, really. Screen, battery, design and build quality... all accounted for.

Tablets, however... it looks like OEMs are not that much interested in Windows tablets. Most of them already have Android tablets, so it might be a conflict of interest for them to dedicate to another platform. Beside that, it also might be conflicting for MS to directly compete with OEMs, but with these convertible tablets, they are in niche segment that will not alienate OEM partners... much.

Surface Pro 3, as it is, still is the nicest convertible out there. Having played a bit with Lenovo Yoga and Helix, I feel that Surface solution is by far the best - for people who ne tablet and laptop equally, or use tablet more than laptop. For laptop users with very rare need to go into tablet mode, something else might be better.

As of how large this market is, I cannot say; I do know that I am part of it. I have powerful desktop for gaming, photo editing and other tasks - most of it which benefit from large screen, and desktop at work. My portable needs are mostly satisfied with old ThinkPad Tablet 2, which, by the way, has old 2C Atom, only 2GB of RAM and 64GB storage and still copes well with my tablet needs, more than 2 years after purchase - so my laptop gets usage only when I travel, which is twice a year, give or take. And even that could be done with tablet, save for Adobe Lightroom - the only reason why I drag laptop with me at all. As such, investing in new laptop is a waste of money... but tablet that can replace laptop in those couple of situations every year, even with compromises, sounds like great idea.
  • Reply 108 of 111
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That's how they get away with 4GB, but I think it's very notable that they ship the MacBook with a default 8GB of RAM, despite the fact it's clearly not in the same class as the MBP. They also ship all iMacs with 8GB minimum, even the 1.4GHz $1099 model.

That might be because of planned Mac OS X changes coming down the road (not necessarily this year), and/or a great deal on RAM, and/or a result of lowered sales with the Mac mini's 4 GiB of soldered RAM, competition, or something else.
    I'm away at the moment, but I'd note that I'm running Lion, not Yosemite or Mavericks.

1) That means you aren't even using the RAM compression algorithm, which was introduced in Mavericks.

2) I don't know enough about how Mac OS X uses RAM to be able to say that you're system is hoarding it wrong*, but I can say that I've never had a RAM issue with Mac, and I just stopped using an iMac from 2002 with 1.25 GiB RAM running Tiger with Mac OS X Server.

I'm running OSX 10.4.11 on a late 2005 MBP with only 2GB of RAM. I've never had a problem with thrashing unless I've been running Safari and consuming a lot of graphics and videos. Closing Safari and reopening it and everything is back to normal.

I agree with you when you said Apple may be adding more RAM in the current Macs in preparation for an expected future change in OS needs. Apple is much better then most computer companies in that regard. That said, there may soon need for more RAM as third-party software vendors revise their programs to take advantage of the latest OS to automatically save and serve up multiple versions of a document. Since the only software I know of that has that capability baked in is Apple's Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, a potential memory increase may yet to be experienced by users.
  • Reply 109 of 111
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    beeman60 wrote: »
    jfanning

My reasons for disinterest in windows are not adult enough for you and you feel compelled to insult me to give you a reason that you feel are 'real' enough?

Insult you? I questioned your age based on a childish response, is that insulting?
    Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the words I used to express myself. They are quite adult words I believe.

I am aware of the words, I found them a childish response to a serious question.
    My retort to you is - don't you have anything better to do than to insult me?

Again, no insult, you too the time to respond, why didn't you take the time to do it properly.
  • Reply 110 of 111
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    Maybe because there is quite decent choice of premium ultrabooks from Asus, Samsung... new Dell XPS 13 is quite something, really. Screen, battery, design and build quality... all accounted for.

Tablets, however... it looks like OEMs are not that much interested in Windows tablets. Most of them already have Android tablets, so it might be a conflict of interest for them to dedicate to another platform. Beside that, it also might be conflicting for MS to directly compete with OEMs, but with these convertible tablets, they are in niche segment that will not alienate OEM partners... much.

Surface Pro 3, as it is, still is the nicest convertible out there. Having played a bit with Lenovo Yoga and Helix, I feel that Surface solution is by far the best - for people who ne tablet and laptop equally, or use tablet more than laptop. For laptop users with very rare need to go into tablet mode, something else might be better.

As of how large this market is, I cannot say; I do know that I am part of it. I have powerful desktop for gaming, photo editing and other tasks - most of it which benefit from large screen, and desktop at work. My portable needs are mostly satisfied with old ThinkPad Tablet 2, which, by the way, has old 2C Atom, only 2GB of RAM and 64GB storage and still copes well with my tablet needs, more than 2 years after purchase - so my laptop gets usage only when I travel, which is twice a year, give or take. And even that could be done with tablet, save for Adobe Lightroom - the only reason why I drag laptop with me at all. As such, investing in new laptop is a waste of money... but tablet that can replace laptop in those couple of situations every year, even with compromises, sounds like great idea.

Every major OEM has multiple Windows tablet on the market so I'm not really sure what your referring too.