Apple Watch graces cover of Canada's 'Flare' in latest celebrity spread

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Academy Award nominated actress Hailee Steinfeld wears an Apple Watch Sport on the latest cover of popular Canadian fashion magazine Flare, in the latest cover story for Apple's soon-to-launch wearable.

On the cover of the magazine's May issue, Steinfeld can be seen wearing a Space Gray Apple Watch Sport with the Black Sport Band. In an alternate cover, the actress is wearing a stainless steel Apple Watch with a White Sport Band.

On both covers, the editors of Flare included a note saying they are "obsessed" with the upcoming device. And in an article detailing 15 things the Apple Watch can do, it's referred to as a "stylish timepiece."

The magazine praises the Apple Watch for being customizable and versatile, highlighting functions such as mobile boarding passes, the foreign language translation app Babel, the ability to control an Apple TV from the wrist, and unlocking a room door at Starwood Hotels.

Shown wearing the Apple Watch, Steinfeld stars in the upcoming film "Pitch Perfect 2." She was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 2011 for her portrayal of Mattie Ross in the Coen brothers film "True Grit."

Since its announcement, Apple has been positioning the Apple Watch as a fashion-focused device, getting it featured on the covers of numerous prominent fashion magazines. Previous covers include America's Self, the U.K.'s Style, Hong Kong's East Touch, and Australia's Elle, to name a few highlights from across the globe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Why do they always show it with the screen on?

It'll just look like a black blob most of the time.
  • Reply 2 of 46

Are we going to be treated to a news item about every single time the Apple Watch appears in an advert or product placement somewhere?

I'll be first in the queue to buy one, but this is getting ridiculous!

• Reply 3 of 46
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It’s all about the weaker sex.

First post, first piece of sexism. Why don't you **** off back to the 19th century?

• Reply 3 of 46
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    I think they are winning me over...
  • Reply 5 of 46
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It'll just look like a black blob most of the time.

They are winning me around. I think the black aluminium and the steel look good, with a black screen they have a retro 1970's chic feel to it. I may not wear it to an event or even to work (at least until it has established itself and loses any remaining nerd-appeal), but definitely on weekends.

I must say, hats off to Ahrendts and her team, they are doing a fantastic, truly incredible, job at reducing nerd-anxiety for this watch. She is actively changing perception of aesthetics and actively forming and inducing desire. If they had just launched it like any other new product, I think many people would have been weary of wearing such a conspicuous piece of tech on their wrist, but after this marketing Blitz, the guard is definitely down.

• Reply 6 of 46
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I saw Steinfeld in Ender's Game and True Grit and liked her in both. It's quite disturbing to see her with such a blank look on her face, someone who was such a strong character in those movies made in to an object. This is my least favorite of the Apple Watch modelling photos so far.

• Reply 7 of 46
    All smart watch ships will rise together thanks to the great advertising Apple is doing to promote its smart watch.

One Android friend received an LG for Christmas. Another Android friend recently bought a Moto 360.

When they saw me they flashed their watches at me me and asked, I guess you are getting the Apple Watch?

They know me so well!
  • Reply 8 of 46
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

I've got news for you, folks: it'll just look like a black blob most of the time.

Please go away.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Please go away.

I flagged his post, not that anyone notices or cares about the quality of the discussion.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I've got news for you, folks: it'll just look like a black blob most of the time.

Have you guys seen anything more pathetic? Furiously refreshing this website so he can get the first post in every Apple Watch thread, 24hrs a day, and then usually vomiting bigoted, racist, or sexist trash on the screen for bonus points, with zero intellectual value. Really starts off these threads with a constructive tone. Hey, at least the mods seem to love it.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    booboobooboo Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

watch looks great.  I wonder if 38mm might be too small for a 6 foot male?  I was thinking of getting the 38mm but maybe I need to get the 42mm. will find out on Apr10

My other watches are around 37mm - 39mm, so I'm going with the 38mm Apple Watch. I think the 42mm watch would look too big and out of place on me. (I'm 5' 11" and have a 180mm wrist). I don't expect the smaller size to be a problem in terms of readability (I trust the designers, I guess). I wear a lot of long sleeve shirts and I don't want to have trouble with the cuffs getting hung up on the larger watch.

• Reply 12 of 46
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I guess some people don't get marketing. Look at any press shot of the Moto Almost 360. It's always showing a clock face on the screen and the press shots look MUCH better than the device does IRL.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    slurpy wrote: »

Have you guys seen anything more pathetic? Furiously refreshing this website so he can get the first post in every Apple Watch thread, 24hrs a day, and then usually vomiting bigoted, racist, or sexist trash on the screen for bonus points, with zero intellectual value. Really starts off these threads with a constructive tone. Hey, at least the mods seem to love it.

Hey, there's no shame in being the weaker sex, Slurpy.

Embrace your womanhood! ????
  • Reply 14 of 46
    booboo wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »

watch looks great.  I wonder if 38mm might be too small for a 6 foot male?  I was thinking of getting the 38mm but maybe I need to get the 42mm. will find out on Apr10

My other watches are around 37mm - 39mm, so I'm going with the 38mm Apple Watch. I think the 42mm watch would look too big and out of place on me. (I'm 5' 11" and have a 180mm wrist). I don't expect the smaller size to be a problem in terms of readability (I trust the designers, I guess). I wear a lot of long sleeve shirts and I don't want to have trouble with the cuffs getting hung up on the larger watch.

Good reasoning, but bear in mind that the battery life is better on the 42mm.
  • Reply 15 of 46

Oh, I see... the Frost person gets to keep slamming Apple, but my comment gets deleted?

Look at my posting history. I'm not a spammer or a troll. Anyone care to tell me what crime I committed?

• Reply 16 of 46
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Quote:

The mods are worthless.  Ben Frost has literally THOUSANDS of reported posts.  yet nothing is done.

IMO Ben Frost actually works for AppleInsider.  His sole purpose is to rile up true Apple fans so threads have more posts and activities.

And if any Mod is reading this I challange you to tell me why Ben Frost has not been banned yet.  He has broken TROLLING rules, FLAMING rules, RACIST rules, SEXIST rules, yet nothing.  Come on you coward Mods.  Tell me why he isn't banned.  Oh I forgot.  Its because Ben Frost is a mole planted by the staff.

I reported the first post myself, as I prefer to not moderate or get involved. I'm not sure why the post was edited instead of being removed, but I've asked for an answer on that. I can assure you he doesn't work for us and there is no conspiracy to get anyone "riled up." The original post was offensive.

• Reply 17 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    nhughes wrote: »

I reported the first post myself, as I prefer to not moderate or get involved. I'm not sure why the post was edited instead of being removed, but I've asked for an answer on that. I can assure you he doesn't work for us and there is no conspiracy to get anyone "riled up." The original post was offensive.

So Kasper is the final decision maker, yes?
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

So Kasper is the final decision maker, yes?

I just oversee the news content, though I've been trying to clean up the comments as something of a side project when I have time. For example, I wrote the new commenting guidelines that we rolled out a few months ago. Admittedly I do not spend as much time in the comments as many of you. If there is a problem, I can handle it.

• Reply 19 of 46

What a terrible photographer - he didn't even bother to tell that poor girl that there's a hole in her dress!

(Clearly I don't understand modern fashion.)

Did the magazine actually get her opinion on the watch, or just the editors' praise? When that kind of thing comes directly from the magazine, it's hard to tell if it's a paid advertisement, or if the editors really mean it.

• Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:

Tell me fine sir why Frost has not been banned yet?  He has HUNDREDS of flagged post the last few weeks.  

What will it take?  Seriously what will it take?  There was already a poll taken to ban Frost and over 100 users said he should.  So are you going to value 1 member over the majority?  It is obvious that the majority of users here are sick of his constant bashing of Apple, Tim Cook, his sexist comments and racially insensitive comments.  He has broken TOS by constant negative trolling.  What will it take?

I'm not saying to perma-ban him.  But allowing him to wreck havoc on this site unchecked is bring the quality of this site down.

I didn't know anything about any of this until today, but I can assure you it will be taken care of. In the future anyone can email me directly and let me know.