Rumor: Apple may limit Force Touch to the next-gen 'iPhone 6s Plus'

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
If Apple's pressure-sensing Force Touch technology does make its way to the next generation of iPhones, a new report from Taiwan suggests that it may be exclusive to the so-called "iPhone 6s Plus."

Longtime Apple partner TPK could be the sole supplier of force sensing components for the iPhone 6S Plus and Apple Watch, according to UDN. The parts could increase the cost of the 6s Plus by $13 to $14, compared to the $4 to $5 it is believed to cost for each Apple Watch.

If true, it would follow Apple's current practice of integrating more advanced technology in the larger iPhone. The iPhone 6 Plus boasts an optically-stabilized camera, an option that the smaller iPhone 6 lacks.

Other changes rumored for the next-generation iPhone are the addition of the Apple SIM, along with a so-called "A9" processor fabricated by Samsung and a move to 2 gigabytes of RAM. The 8-megapixel camera will reportedly remain for at least one more generation.

The company could also update its "C" line, continuing the 4-inch form factor by putting iPhone 5s internals -- plus a new NFC chip for Apple Pay compatibility -- into a polycarbonate shell. This would make Touch ID and Apple Pay ubiquitous throughout the iPhone lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ^ I agree. Features like optical stabilisation are fine to have on just the higher model, but anything to do with UI is going to have a hard time unless it's deployed widely from the get go. Developers need to code for this.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    would suck to make the larger phone a premium feature phone. plenty of people, such as myself, want a smaller phone, regardless of price difference.

don't make us get gigantic phones to get the features.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Perhaps the supposed 6S is the only model with enough space inside to house the Force Touch hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ^ if it can fit inside ?Watch, how could it not fit inside any iPhone?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    sog35 wrote: »
    Not going to happen. 

It is either all force touch on the 6S line or none.

Why not?

Apple have already differentiated the cameras. This would be another differentiation.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Not this nonsense again. This is like the articles last year that said the regular sized 6 wouldn't have TouchID or the (then rumored) ApplePay.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Why not?

Apple have already differentiated the cameras. This would be another differentiation.

big difference between a better camera and a feature that changes the entire UI and OS

Not really. It's basically like a right click mouse button combined with a scroll wheel. It's essentially Apple trying to bring all the advantage of the iOS user experience—our fingers— to the Mac. Good for them, but I don't see this being so critical on iOS. Apple still sells the iPhone 4s, which is hampered in many ways compared to the 6.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    This make about as much sense as limiting Force Touch to the 42mm Apple Watch. The cheaper 38mm Watch is for poor, undeserving people. /s
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Sog35 is "ignoring" his "blocked" BFF, BF. (He said, sarcastically)
  • Reply 10 of 23
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Not really. It's basically like a right click mouse button combined with a scroll wheel. It's essentially Apple trying to bring all the advantage of the iOS user experience—our fingers— to the Mac. Good for them, but I don't see this being so critical on iOS. Apple still sells the iPhone 4s, which is hampered in many ways compared to the 6.

Huge difference. A camera is a hardware feature that has zero impact on developers or the usage of the OS. Apple isn't expecting anyone to develop cool new features to support optical stabilization. 

They surely want this adopted because it significantly differentiates their product from Android where the gaps are getting narrower. The only way to get widespread adoption is for the hardware to be widespread; i.e., all new devices. I suspect the camera differentiation was either an issue of cost or space. Since they have used Force Touch on a watch, space certainly isn't an issue and volume would work out any cost problems.

I think that when we all see how people will start using Force Touch as another dimension to the UI, we'll all start to understand why it is a big deal.

• Reply 11 of 23
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

^ I agree. Features like optical stabilisation are fine to have on just the higher model, 

i think OIS was only on the plus due to size constraints.

• Reply 12 of 23
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by barthrh View Post

Huge difference. A camera is a hardware feature that has zero impact on developers or the usage of the OS. Apple isn't expecting anyone to develop cool new features to support optical stabilization. 

They surely want this adopted because it significantly differentiates their product from Android where the gaps are getting narrower. The only way to get widespread adoption is for the hardware to be widespread; i.e., all new devices. I suspect the camera differentiation was either an issue of cost or space. 

bingo, on both points.

• Reply 13 of 23

Not really, saying that the 4s is hampered compared to the 6, being a 3 year-old device, is not the same as saying that one of the 2 new releases of the year is hampered compared to the other.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    No way !!!!
    That will be a huge mistake ..
  • Reply 15 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The hardware technology is still too big to fit in small screens. That's why the ?Watch doesn't have it!!1
  • Reply 16 of 23
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    big difference between a better camera and a feature that changes the entire UI and OS
    Agreed, an interface difference that great would cause a lot of headaches. I guess if it had only a limited current applicability having it appear on only one model might be defendable. But not if its integral, along the lines of Touch ID.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    That wouldn't make sense, not everyone associates a large phone with a premium phone. I know the OIS on the iPhone 6s is a premium feature, but it's possible that it was a size constraint. The reason people buy large screen phones is not because of incentives, the large screen is the incentive. Some people actually desire a smaller screen, hence the smaller iPhone 6s rumors. If someone wants a premium smaller phone, Apple has always been the number one choice.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Why not?

It causes software advantage over hardware advantage. Which will make developers not care for the feature.

Considering they seemed to do it with the MacBook Air vs new/ pro, it's possible but still unlikely.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I think all next generation iPhones will have this new capability to get the capability in use as widely as possible. Some very nice apps have become available for Macs having the capability. Making this capability available to developers would open gaming apps to extraordinary functionality. The same goes for health apps.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No, this is an substantial development of their user interface that is already being implemented on MacBooks and the Watch. It's a near certainty that they will add this to the iPhone sooner or later, and if they add it to one iPhone model they have to add it to all iOS devices.

I can't quite figure out if you fundamentally misunderstand the factors that drive Apple product decisions or if you just enjoy presenting a contrarian view.