Apple pushes sixth OS X 10.10.3 beta to developers and public testers

Posted:
in macOS edited April 2015
As Apple continues to refine the next update to its desktop operating system, the company seeded a sixth pre-release version of OS X 10.10.3 to developers and members of the OS X public beta program on Thursday.

Identified as build number 14D130a, the latest revision remains focused primarily on the new Photos app. Issues remain when using Photos and the iCloud Photo Library beta with iOS 8.1.3 or earlier, and the company urges testers to maintain regular backups when testing this configuration.

Additional emphasis is placed on testing Wi-Fi captive portals, such as those found in airports or coffee shops. This has been a problem area since the first OS X 10.10.3 beta, signaling that Apple may be having trouble with its networking stack in this configuration.

The company also asks testers to look at screen sharing, Safari, and Mail as well as Arabic and Hebrew system translations.

OS X 10.10.3 beta 6 comes one week after the release of the fifth beta, which added updates to OS X's recovery partition. The update is available to developers and testers via the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Hopefully this one will be worth upgrading from 10.9.5.

• Reply 2 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Hopefully this one will be worth upgrading from 10.9.5.

Even the first one was. Heck when I run 10.9 I feel like I am in the last century already!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Even the first one was. Heck when I run 10.9 I feel like I am in the last century already!

I've seen so many people complaining about Yosemite, I haven't dared to make the leap yet. Perhaps the majority of the ongoing complaints will be smoothed out.

• Reply 4 of 35
    Gotta give Craig Federighi and Co. credit - this build, like the previous one, has made my Mac snappier even while it's still downloading.

VAVOOM!
  • Reply 5 of 35
    ianridianrid Posts: 13member
    Quote: "Heck when I run 10.9 I feel like I am in the last century already!"

Yes, I felt like I'd gone backwards when I 'upgraded' from 10.6.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    prolineproline Posts: 222member

Nice to see captive portals getting some attention. I filled a radar about that last year, and believe it or not they gave me a note back saying I should convince the hospital I work at not to use captive portals! LOL, so constructive... not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've seen so many people complaining about Yosemite, I haven't dared to make the leap yet. Perhaps the majority of the ongoing complaints will be smoothed out.

If, like them, you are prone to complaining and general unhappiness, you should probably not change your software again, ever. The reality is that even 10.10.0 delivered lots of great stuff- the ability to send regular texts and phone calls has been very neat- and if that isn't enough for you a few bug fixes and a new Photos app probably won't be either.

• Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

If, like them, you are prone to complaining and general unhappiness, you should probably not change your software again, ever. The reality is that even 10.10.0 delivered lots of great stuff- the ability to send regular texts and phone calls has been very neat- and if that isn't enough for you a few bug fixes and a new Photos app probably won't be either.

How right you are. 

• Reply 8 of 35
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I actually did run OS X in the last century.  It was the public beta "Kodiak" back in September 2000.

(Because yes, the year 2000 was in the previous century.)

• Reply 9 of 35
    I hope the next update stops Arc Welder in its tracks and same for iOS.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I hope the next update stops Arc Welder in its tracks and same for iOS.
    What's wrong with ArcWelder? I thought it was an extension unique to Google Chrome. Doesn't run on Safari does it?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    sockrolid wrote: »
    I actually did run OS X in the last century.  It was the public beta "Kodiak" back in September 2000.
    (Because yes, the year 2000 was in the previous century.)

I was specifically referring to Mavericks in defense of Yosemite and using hyperbole :)

I still have the very first OS X install, it was pretty exciting and far better than BeOS the other alternative to Mac OS9 at the time.

Yes you are correct, I did math at school too, 2000 was definitely in the last century. :)
  • Reply 12 of 35
    pdbreskepdbreske Posts: 45member
    Does anyone know if the new Photos app uses a container for its library or can it access photos stored in the Finder in a user-specified sorting system?

I currently use Aperture's referenced file feature to keep my images stored outside the Aperture Library in folders created and arranged by Aperture (year>month>day), so it would be great (if I DO use the new app) to be able to tell Photos to just use that file system instead of moving every one of my 60K photos to another location.

I'm not saying this is the deciding factor%u2014I'm probably going to end up switching to Phase One's Capture One Pro%u2014but it would be nice if Apple didn't force some of its users to default to another new storage practice.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IanRid View Post

Quote: "Heck when I run 10.9 I feel like I am in the last century already!"

Yes, I felt like I'd gone backwards when I 'upgraded' from 10.6.

What an absurd statement. There are literally hundreds of new features and thousands of backend improvements from 10.6-10.9, and they took nothing away, so how exactly is it going "backwards"? 

Oh, never mind. Not a single positive post about anything in your grand total of 12 posts here. Clearly your "opinion" is objective and credible. Maybe go back to back to 10.0, or better yet, OS9 or 8, since according to people like you every update is an even bigger regression and catastrophe. 

• Reply 14 of 35
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    Yosemite since release. Minor issues. But superb OS. It is their best os since snow leopard. Keep up the good work Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Yosemite since release. Minor issues. But superb OS. It is their best os since snow leopard. Keep up the good work Apple.

I can say the same. Yosemite was actually subjected to more testing than any previous OS X release, being the first to undergo a public beta, and it shows. If you compare where it is now 6 months after release compared to any prior OS X, it is far ahead. I think a lot of the issues are that people compare the stability of an OS that's been on the market for a year or, in the case of Snow Leopard, many years to one that came out last week and then complain that the latter is buggy. Well if you can't handle a bug or two, the solution is to wait 6 months before upgrading. That usually takes care of anything major.

• Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

If, like them, you are prone to complaining and general unhappiness, you should probably not change your software again, ever...

You're apparently new here, so I'll not address such an absurd comment.

• Reply 17 of 35
    fonsiefonsie Posts: 2member
    I had some bluetooth problems with Yosemite, fixed it with a SMC reset. Other than that i never want to go back to 10.9
  • Reply 18 of 35
    gatorguy wrote: »
    What's wrong with ArcWelder? I thought it was an extension unique to Google Chrome. Doesn't run on Safari does it?

Your hive connection must be down ...

Ars: In September, Google launched ARC—the "App Runtime for Chrome,"—a project that allowed Android apps to run on Chrome OS. A few days later, a hack revealed the project's full potential: it enabled ARC on every "desktop" version of Chrome, meaning you could unofficially run Android apps on Chrome OS, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. ARC made Android apps run on nearly every computing platform (save iOS).

Anything from the Android family of apps should be barred from running on anything made by Apple. Thank God it doesn't run on iOS ... yet.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    zaba wrote: »

It is indeed and the 10.10.3 betas are excellent too. Photos is really great (and yes i still use Aperture and LR too). 'Horses for courses'.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    proline wrote: »

I can say the same. Yosemite was actually subjected to more testing than any previous OS X release, being the first to undergo a public beta, and it shows. If you compare where it is now 6 months after release compared to any prior OS X, it is far ahead. I think a lot of the issues are that people compare the stability of an OS that's been on the market for a year or, in the case of Snow Leopard, many years to one that came out last week and then complain that the latter is buggy. Well if you can't handle a bug or two, the solution is to wait 6 months before upgrading. That usually takes care of anything major.

I cannot disagree. Welcome to the forum. :)

I assume you have a boat?