Apple pushes sixth OS X 10.10.3 beta to developers and public testers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Gotta give Craig Federighi and Co. credit - this build, like the previous one, has made my Mac snappier even while it's still downloading.

VAVOOM!
    We have done so much testing for 10.10.3, we are effectively Apple's QA extension per se. Apple should pay each of us with an ?WATCH Edition.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Your hive connection must be down ...

Ars: In September, Google launched ARC—the "App Runtime for Chrome,"—a project that allowed Android apps to run on Chrome OS. A few days later, a hack revealed the project's full potential: it enabled ARC on every "desktop" version of Chrome, meaning you could unofficially run Android apps on Chrome OS, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. ARC made Android apps run on nearly every computing platform (save iOS).

Anything from the Android family of apps should be barred from running on anything made by Apple. Thank God it doesn't run on iOS ... yet.
    It runs under Chrome, a Google product. Anyone using Chrome in the first place isn't buying in to the "oohh, Google scary" FUD anyway. Do you even know how to access ArcWelder features, or how to preview an app running under it? The stuff doesn't load itself by magic. Folks have to WANT to use it and go out of their way to find it. It's intended to serve developers and hardly presents any danger. It simply makes their job easier to test their Android app before adding it to the ones that already run under Chrome.

I've no idea why you are so often the very first to mention Google or Android in Apple specific threads that have zero to do with them. Seems like it would be an unhealthy fixation, worrying so much about something you have no intention of using or even understanding and that has no effect on you whatsoever. I at least don't comment on Apple topics that I can't be bothered with understanding before posting and try to avoid entirely being the one to interject Google into unrelated discussions. In most cases it would be trollish to do so IMO

If you don't want to encourage off-topic Android mentions or superfluous comparisons don't be the one to bring 'em up, and if you do don't complain when it gets a response.
  • Reply 23 of 35

I've seen so many people complaining about Yosemite, I haven't dared to make the leap yet. Perhaps the majority of the ongoing complaints will be smoothed out.

Most of my complaints are the ui changes and choices they have made. Like making the maximize button go full screen for every app that supports that feature. I hate full screen. And then there is the unnecessary alpha and blur fitters on app windows that is a waste of CPU resources since it does it on the fly
  • Reply 24 of 35
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member

Last week's beta was quite solving a few problems I was having. And, spamsandwich, I'm running Yosemite since June last year and never considered going back (truth to be told, i was running Yosemite side by side with Mavericks to be able to track back in case need be)

Obviously you have your reasons in not upgrading, but I haven't had any more problems that I had in Mavericks (and I can't remember any deal breaker problems I had in Mavericks). Well right now I can't think of any problem that bothers me. Well, right now I can't even think of a problem....

• Reply 25 of 35
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuarayer View Post

Most of my complaints are the ui changes and choices they have made. Like making the maximize button go full screen for every app that supports that feature. I hate full screen. And then there is the unnecessary alpha and blur fitters on app windows that is a waste of CPU resources since it does it on the fly

I assume you've been told this already, but the reality is that very few apps did anything useful with the maximize button, and what they did do was up to the app making it a dreadful, inconsistent experience where the user's expectations of what they app will do often don't line up with what the developer decided. Meanwhile the fullscreen button is extremely valuable for getting the most out of Apple's smaller screen devices (i.e. 11" Air), and it delivers predictable results. If there was demand for keeping maximize, Apple would have kept it.

• Reply 26 of 35
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    It's amazing how much faster my old iMac from 2011 runs on Yosemite. And now with this latest update they keep making it faster and faster. I had some issues with the betas of 1010.2 but these 10.10.3 betas have none of those WI-FI issues. As an OS it's very fast and amazing my only complaint is - and still remains to be iTunes 12. I have two kids - ages 2 and 4 - neither of whom can read yet. When iTunes 12 first appearsed in last June's public beta of Yosemite they broke the art work for tv shows when uploading to devices such as iPad and iPhone. If you didn't buy the tv shows from Apple, more specifically downloaded your own tv shows then added your own art work, it now displays the annoying "grey boxes" with text. Not good if you can't read!. I told Apple about this within hours of downloading it last June, even pointed out that the previous iTunes versions allowed for any and all art work sizes, but in 12 it must be the EXACT size of the art work Apple sites when purchasing through the store, that strange "not quite perfectly square" thing they use. For someone like me who works from home and watches not only my kids, but other kids around their ages too, it's annoying. Especially after given this info to Apple 10 months ago and it's STILL not fixed it. Their punishment should be to have to babysit 3 year olds for a month, while trying to finish up the Apple watch! HA. I want to see them handle trying to work, while every 6 minutes or so one of the kids comes up saying "Which one is The Legend of Korra?". LOL. Seriously how long can it take to write one line of code to fix this? Hell, copy and paste it from iTunes 9, 10, or 11 they all worked fine!
  • Reply 27 of 35
    dshandshan Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've seen so many people complaining about Yosemite, I haven't dared to make the leap yet. Perhaps the majority of the ongoing complaints will be smoothed out.

I've been using 10.10 since day one on a 2010 MacBook Pro and an 2008 iMac and I cannot comprehend the complaints. I've had only one real issue with it (fixed in 10.10.1) and that was more an irritant than a showstopper. I wouldn't go back to earlier versions for money.

The main issue with 10.10 seems to be WiFi connectivity. Most complaints seem to involve 3rd party routers from what I've seen, there may well be genuine issues here (Apple keep asking 10.10.3 testers to push on WiFi, they've obviously made changes). All I can say is I've had no problems connecting to (or maintaining connections to) my Airport 11n basestation using 10.10, 10.10.1 or 10.10.2.

• Reply 28 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

The 10.10.3 betas have cleaned up the issues I had with WiFi.

iTunes seems much more reliable. All of my devices show up consistently and sync all of the time, even over WiFi. Sync performance is very good, except with my iPod5 - go figure.

I did have a somewhat major issue with the immediate previous beta release on Wednesday of this week. For some reason 2 out of 3 of my Macs running the 10.10.3 beta suddenly started producing Keychain errors, Safari wouldn't launch, and opening the System Preferences produced a permanent beachball. I couldn't shut down without killing the hung processes from Activity Monitor. Luckily I found a fix in an Apple support forum from a few years ago. Two computers simultaneously suffering the same exact problem on the same day seemed strange. 

I'm down to fewer that 1200 of my 27000 photos waiting to upload to Pictures. This has been an ongoing process that started a couple of weeks ago but is still not done. 

• Reply 29 of 35
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member

I've experienced a lot of issues in Finder with all the betas for 10.10.3. I've had it crash when dropping something onto a folder, crash while burning a Blu-ray BD-R, and crash when resizing a window. All of these were bugged in the first beta, and are still not fixed. It would be a mistake for Apple to concentrate solely on the new Photos app in this release, as there are much more fundamental issues going on here.

On the Photos app, it's not a replacement for Aperture in any way. Apple has enough money to keep one app running on their OS. Telling people that the new consumer-level-with-some-minor-advanced-editing-features Photos app can/will replace their professional-level app, Aperture, is just wrong. Yes, Photos might gain some features later on, but people like Aperture and use it, and it gives Apple money because they're selling it. They're giving Photos away for free. If ever there was an incentive for them to continue development on Aperture, it's the fact that people pay them for it.

The Photos app keeps telling me I have 108 new photos to import, right after I've imported them. If I import them again, I get duplicates. This happens in every version of the new Photos app.

I didn't want to go down the "Apple's dropped the ball on quality recently" angle, but it does seem that way.

• Reply 30 of 35
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

The performance isn't as great as Maverick on my Macbook Air 2011. There's too many beach balls but I like it. It makes Maverick looks old.

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Hopefully this one will be worth upgrading from 10.9.5.

FWIW, I took the jump at 10.10.2 and haven't looked back since. 

• Reply 32 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It runs under Chrome, a Google product. Anyone using Chrome in the first place isn't buying in to the "oohh, Google scary" FUD anyway. Do you even know how to access ArcWelder features, or how to preview an app running under it? The stuff doesn't load itself by magic. Folks have to WANT to use it and go out of their way to find it. It's intended to serve developers and hardly presents any danger. It simply makes their job easier to test their Android app before adding it to the ones that already run under Chrome.

I've no idea why you are so often the very first to mention Google or Android in Apple specific threads that have zero to do with them. Seems like it would be an unhealthy fixation, worrying so much about something you have no intention of using or even understanding and that has no effect on you whatsoever. I at least don't comment on Apple topics that I can't be bothered with understanding before posting and try to avoid entirely being the one to interject Google into unrelated discussions. In most cases it would be trollish to do so IMO

If you don't want to encourage off-topic Android mentions or superfluous comparisons don't be the one to bring 'em up, and if you do don't complain when it gets a response.

Knocking the people that rip off Apple IP is perfectly legitimate on a pro Apple web site! Spending 100% of your time on the web site of the company you are against promoting their competition and your pet favorite is what seems f***g weird to me.

Of course I don't want any Android crap running in a wrapper on any Apple device.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Knocking the people that rip off Apple IP is perfectly legitimate on a pro Apple web site! Spending 100% of your time on the web site of the company you are against promoting their competition and your pet favorite is what seems f***g weird to me.

Of course I don't want any Android crap running in a wrapper on any Apple device.
    What makes you think I hate Apple? Do you have any links to posts I've made that shows that to be the case? Can you even find a single instance where I've promoted a Google service over one that Apple offers?

Feel free to post the evidence since you think you have it. Out of 11K posts there must be a bunch of 'em you can come up with in short order, hundreds if not more if there's a shred of truth to your claim. If you can't seem to find them perhaps you should rethink things a bit rather than continue to post what would then be obvious FUD.

Instead of continuing off-topic in an Apple thread you know how to PM me. I'll watch for it.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    The Photos app has been gaining more features with each update but they kind of hide some of the more advanced settings. Case in point, the touch up tool that I used extensively in Aperture is now in Photos but it's a bit buried. I'm actually quite pleased with Photos.

Overall, I'm hoping Apple treats 10.10.3 a a stable release and holds off on any major version changes for a while. Let it settle and get more robust and reliable. It's a good baseline.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    I have installed the beta yesterday on my 10.10.2 iMac late 2013 model with i7 & 8GB RAM - it works so far pretty well.
    Installation was straightforward (as usual with Apple) and quick (less than 5 mins).

Photos is so far pretty good and improves greatly on 2 things compared to Aperture: memory footprint and speed/responsiveness.

I have a 90GB photo library with 18k pics. Before installing 10.10.3 beta I was reviewing it for doubles and pics to delete in Aperture while watching Netflix in Safari, in a side by side window setup. The Mac would hang sometimes as Aperture would use more and more memory (up around 10GB) with swap file use (a few GBs) and heavy memory compression (Memory Pressure was yellow/orange most of the time).

Photos instead, stayed steadily at about 2GB memory usage for its process, and scrolling of pics was quick and snappy, leaving me wondering what they changed so much to make the experience feel so fluid compared to Aperture. Memory Pressure was always green and no swap file was necessary. My thoughts of upgrading RAM disappeared and postponed to when it will be cheaper.

After opening Photos, a copy of my library was made (so I ended with two 90GB libraries, one of which is the older Aperture one) in a few minutes during migration and everything was were I expected it to be. My Aperture folder structure was also retained.

One big caveat though - iTunes apparently does not allow me to sync my pics anymore with either Aperture, Photos or iPhoto (also installed on the system). If that doesn't change, it means then that iTunes photos sync will be available only via a simple directory (only available option presented me) and not via a Photos library.
    Which means, either I use iCloud Photo Library, which in my case seems to be extremely cumbersome (let alone expensive and at 6Mbps upload speed of my cable connection will take *FOREVER*), or I need to rely on Photo Stream and/or export function to have on my phone my last x most recent events..... :(