Fox Business News apologizes after commentator calls Apple CEO Tim Cook a 'bigot'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 276
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member

Having Jerk McGuirk say something derogatory about you should be taken as a complement.

• Reply 62 of 276

Fox News - oxymoron. Old farts in recliners ranting and tuned in to Fox is all that remains watching.

• Reply 63 of 276

I have no reason to believe Tim Cook is a "bigot", but his recent Op Ed piece on SB101 and related Tweets most certainly expose his position as hypocritical (and frankly, uninformed as it relates to SB101 and similar laws). His silence on how Saudi Arabia, where Apple has a significant footprint, or better yet, certain tenants of Islam, treats homosexuals is maddening. 

• Reply 64 of 276
    These guys look on with unbridled admiration for the execution of gays in Saudi Arabia and Iran (Shariah law!!!!). Their alleged concern is bogus.
  • Reply 65 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiram Walker View Post

Fox News - oxymoron. Old farts in recliners ranting and tuned in to Fox is all that remains watching.

lol...Fox News has higher ratings than MSNBC and CNN combined. Guessing a few more people are watching than you care to admit. 

• Reply 66 of 276
    I have no reason to believe Tim Cook is a "bigot", but his recent Op Ed piece on SB101 and related Tweets most certainly expose his position as hypocritical (and frankly, uninformed as it relates to SB101 and similar laws). His silence on how Saudi Arabia, where Apple has a significant footprint, or better yet, certain tenants of Islam, treats homosexuals is maddening. 

Wasn't aware he was a citizen of Saudi Arabia where he could participate fully in that democratic wonderland for his countrymen. Were it that reactionaries could learn what words mean as they act as stenographers for hate radio BS.
  • Reply 67 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Of course he was really, really bad. But he wasn't ALL bad. And Apple isn't all good. Neither is the USA or China. Or you or me.

I find declaring 'bad guys' and 'good guys' generally serves to oversimplify and justify behavior that would normally be unacceptable.

China, gays, fracking, Fox News, apple, Benjamin Frost. All have been called bad at one time or another. Maybe some deserve the title more than others. But each one is more complex than a simple good or bad.

Stop it with this sensible ambiguity, you're making people's heads hurt!

"Black, white, red, or blue. If you don't pick a side no one will listen to you!

But what if we all became purple and grey? I think that would lead to a better day."

Edit: Posting rhymes is my signal to stop. I'll be enjoying the rest of the thread from afar.

• Reply 68 of 276
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Latest polls: 54% in favor of legalizing gay marriage, 36% against, 10% undecided. I'd say the majority is on Mr. Cook's side, and history is on his side as well (among younger people, support is even higher - around 65%). Ten years from now even you will be saying gay marriage is no big deal - just like the many racists of the 1950s who convieniently "forgot" they were racists twenty years later.

Personally, I wouldn't go off polls. Everyone I see is different. A poll of a few thousand does not represent over 300 million people. The majority of states voted to amend their constitution to ban same sex marriage. The banning of same sex marriage is still the opinion of the majority of people in this country. I definitely think there is a shift of opinion, but it's nowhere near the majority of supporting gay marriage. 

• Reply 69 of 276
    msantti wrote: »
    Like a good liberal, just ignore when you can't win the argument.

That would be one-trick right wingers. Since he never threatened to pull Apple products from Indiana or openly wished that people didn't buy Apple products whom he personally didn't like, how you leap to that baseless conclusion is not really shocking, given you can't substantiate it.

Right wingers: they are the petty little tyrants, commies and jackbooted thugs they love to insist is everyone else. Reflect on *that* irony.
  • Reply 70 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Wasn't aware he was a citizen of Saudi Arabia where he could participate fully in that democratic wonderland for his countrymen. Were it that reactionaries could learn what words mean as they act as stenographers for hate radio BS.

Shame on you for not knowing Tim Cook wasn't a Saudi national, I thought it was common knowledge he was a USC. That said, to continue your line of thinking...ought Time not say anything about SB101 since he isn't a a citizen of Indiana? 

Surely we all agree executing homosexuals is wrong, much more so than the passing of SB101 (which doesn't even reference sexual orientation). Which begs the question, why not take up the cause, as least in a similar Op Ed and on Twitter, condemning the Saudis, Iranians, Pakistanis, ISIS, et al for arresting and executing people simply because they are gay? If Apple does business with the aforementioned (less ISIS of course), I don't see how the fact that Tim is an American prohibits him from doing the aforementioned. 

• Reply 71 of 276
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

That would be one-trick right wingers. Since he never threatened to pull Apple products from Indiana or openly wished that people didn't buy Apple products whom he personally didn't like, how you leap to that baseless conclusion is not really shocking, given you can't substantiate it.

Right wingers: they are the petty little tyrants and commies they love to warn everyone about. Reflect on *that* irony.

Of course he won't pull product.

MONEY!

Who cares about rights, right?

• Reply 72 of 276
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Apple View Post

lol...Fox News has higher ratings than MSNBC and CNN combined. Guessing a few more people are watching than you care to admit. 

The average age of a Fox News viewer is well over 60 years old.  All you need to do is look at their advertising.

And ratings amongst cable news networks is like ranking which of the people in this thread has the best chance to date a Victoria's Secret Angel.  I mean, yeah, one of us might actually have a higher chance than everyone else in the thread.  But does having the highest chance at 0.0000000001% really mean anything?

• Reply 73 of 276
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Wow. That's some benchmark there....
  • Reply 74 of 276
    Quote:

Right wingers: they are the petty little tyrants, commies and jackbooted thugs they love to insist is everyone else. Reflect on *that* irony.

Ah the left, always claiming to be the tolerant ones...until you disagree with them. 

• Reply 75 of 276
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah and people are entitled to call him a hypocrite. Free speech and all. I'll change my opinion when Cook speaks out for gay rights in China and the Middle East. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time for that to happen.

It's absolutely amazing how when it comes to Apple, usually rational posters like you turn absolutely crazed when it comes to these subjects, and you throw any semblence of rationality out the damn window, while spouting non-sensical rash.  Are you even listening to yourself?

1. Apple is a fucking US company. Tim Cook LIVES in the US. Yet, when it comes to these social issues, you want him to focus on "China" and the "Middle-East", countries where he wields zero influence? Why? How is this statement anywhere close to logical? Why not focus your energies closer to home, where the laws actually affect you, where you can yield more influence, and where the situation isn't even close to ideal? Attacking Cook in this manner makes zero sense, and you know that. Unfortunately, your ideology trumps your logic in this case. 

2. He's a "hypocrite"? Let me ask you, you have no problem with Cook being denied service in a restaurant because of his sexual orientation, and this kind of discrimination being protected by law? Maybe you can have a shred of empathy and put yourself in the shoes Cook, I don't see how you wouldnt understand that he has a sense of obligation to speak out against shit like this. You're fine with people being denied service because the business owner believes they're from a certain religious affiliation, or a certain sexual orientation, or anything else that the owner decides might "offend" his sensibilities? You don't see how disgusting this is, and the slippery slope it entails?

You're completely fine with this, yet you pretend to suddenly care about gay rights in China and Middle-East, in a desperate attempt to paint Cook as a "hypocrite", because you don't want to just come out, be honest, and say that you're completely ok with this kind of discrimination in your own country. Calling someone a "hypocrite" because you're allegedly offended by the fact that they're not calling out every single human rights issue in every single geographic location on the planet is such an intellectually dishonest argument, that can be levied against literally ANYONE when you want to attack them baselessly. Trust me, gays being treated like human beings is not going to somehow oppress you or remove your rights. 

• Reply 76 of 276
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Personally, I wouldn't go off polls. Everyone I see is different. A poll of a few thousand does not represent over 300 million people. The majority of states voted to amend their constitution to ban same sex marriage. The banning of same sex marriage is still the opinion of the majority of people in this country. I definitely think there is a shift of opinion, but it's nowhere near the majority of supporting gay marriage. 

The majority of people in the US live in a tiny minority of states.

To put it in simple terms, there are 538 electoral votes (435 Reps + 100 Sens + 3 for DC).  CA, NY, FL, PA and TX account for 171 of those 538, or  about 32%.  So, out of 50 states and the District, 5 states account for nearly a third of the Electoral College.  

CA alone is 55.  The smallest 15 states combined add up to 56 -- and they are each getting 2 for the Senate.  Based solely on population (House), CA has 53 and those smallest 15 states have 26.  So, CA has more than TWICE the population of the smallest 15 states COMBINED.

What "most" states have done is irrelevant.

• Reply 77 of 276
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't go off polls. Everyone I see is different. A poll of a few thousand does not represent over 300 million people.

Personally, I think you'd benefit from scaling back your ignorance and learning a bit about basic statistics. Courses are aplenty and inexpensive in community colleges. (Unless, of course, something about your political persuasion makes you anti-science, and you prefer to wallow in it.)

In the meantime, here's something to get you started: http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm
  • Reply 78 of 276

Leftists have usually been associated to communism.
  • Reply 79 of 276
    slurpy wrote: »
    It's absolutely amazing how when it comes to Apple, usually rational posters like you turn absolutely crazed when it comes to these subjects, and you throw any semblence of rationality out the damn window, while spouting non-sensical rash.  Are you even listening to yourself?

1. Apple is a fucking US company. Tim Cook LIVES in the US. Yet, when it comes to these social issues, you want him to focus on "China" and the "Middle-East", countries where he wields zero influence? Why? How is this statement anywhere close to logical? Why not focus your energies closer to home, where the laws actually affect you, where you can yield more influence, and where the situation isn't even close to ideal? Attacking Cook in this manner makes zero sense, and you know that. Unfortunately, your ideology trumps your logic in this case. 

2. He's a "hypocrite"? Let me ask you, you have no problem with Cook being denied service in a restaurant because of his sexual orientation, and this kind of discrimination being protected by law? Maybe you can have a shred of empathy and put yourself in the shoes Cook, I don't see how you wouldnt understand that he has a sense of obligation to speak out against shit like this. You're fine with people being denied service because the business owner believes they're from a certain religious affiliation, or a certain sexual orientation, or anything else that the owner decides might "offend" his sensibilities? You don't see how disgusting this is, and the slippery slope it entails?

You're completely fine with this, yet you pretend to suddenly care about gay rights in China and Middle-East, in a desperate attempt to paint Cook as a "hypocrite", because you don't want to just come out, be honest, and say that you're completely ok with this kind of discrimination in your own country. Calling someone a "hypocrite" because you're allegedly offended by the fact that they're not calling out every single human rights issue in every single geographic location on the planet is such an intellectually dishonest argument, that can be levied against literally ANYONE when you want to attack them baselessly. Trust me, gays being treated like human beings is not going to somehow oppress you or remove your rights. 

That's right. Just ignore everything else.

You really think Cook and Apple have no influence outside of the U.S.?
  • Reply 80 of 276
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Cook's stance is actually the OPPOSITE of bigot.

But....

Fox News, so......

yeah.