Fox Business News apologizes after commentator calls Apple CEO Tim Cook a 'bigot'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 276

The White Falcon wrote:

I don't think they've been accused of editing footage to incite a race war, unlike some other networks.

Fully agree. In the Ferguson case, how many networks declared the Officer guilty until proven innocent instead of the other way around. FOX may have its faults, but let's not pretend they're the sole purveyors of biased political reporting.

• Reply 82 of 276
    msantti wrote: »

You really think Cook and Apple have no influence outside of the U.S.?

You really think they do? Any significant examples come to mind?
  • Reply 83 of 276
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    You really think they do? Any significant examples come to mind?

Apple sure is growing by leaps and bounds in China.

And doing so against Tim Cooks beliefs.
  • Reply 84 of 276
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Apple View Post

lol...Fox News has higher ratings than MSNBC and CNN combined. Guessing a few more people are watching than you care to admit. 

Wow. That's some benchmark there....

Partly inevitable - Fox is the only mainstream channel that is overtly right wing, so not surprising that it gets a lot of viewers. But another point that is often overlooked is that its basic news coverage is not that bad, and not the cause of its reputation for spreading nonsense. That's down to its talk shows.

• Reply 85 of 276
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

So because something is popular, that makes it right? Okay then...

Your version of "right (the religious one), was never right from a secular humanist point of view, so it should be disregarded by a secular state. That this religious "right" for a large part of the US's history coincided with national sentiment just meant the nation as whole didn't respect its own constitution in preventing gays from marrying, just like it didn't respect its own constitution from preventing blacks from marrying whites, or keeping them segregated.

• Reply 86 of 276
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

Tim Cook was not one of the CEO's who said they were pulling business out of Indiana or Arkansas, so calling him a hypocrite is kind of silly. If he had said "we are no longer going to sell Apple products in Indiana because of this," then you would be able to call him a hypocrite for continuing to sell products in other parts of the world.

Tim was clearly voicing his concern for a law in a country that he is a citizen in. It's also the country where Apple has the most employees, and as CEO he wants to make sure his employees know where he stands on this. If I had to guess, showing to his employees that he's willing to stand up for what he thinks is right outweighs whatever flack he gets from idiots like this guy and Carly Fiona, who only wishes she could have been as successful as Tim. Since Fox is a very important partner to Apple, I wouldn't be surprised if Rupert Murdoch himself forced the apology.

Tim could flood the state of Indiana with millions of dollars worth of ads against Republicans so they struggle a bit more in that state when elections come about. 

• Reply 87 of 276
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

So because something is popular, that makes it right? Okay then...

The point is that you do you. Stop telling other people how they should do them. It's really none of your business what others are doing. It's not your place to criticize them just like it isn't anyone's place to criticize you for practicing your religion. That's the point. Live and let live. People over religion. 

• Reply 88 of 276
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

That's right. Just ignore everything else.

Think globally, act locally, remember that phrase; trying to change the world when your home house is on fire is overreach (something the US has often been culpable of).

Cook's influence abroad, especially in dictatorial countries is negligeable. If the US as a trading nation can't have an impact on China, Apple in general, and Cook in particular, can have very little effect. Chinese leader can send Apple packing in an instant if they stir trouble no matter how many jobs, or money they invest in China. Apple would certainly be worse of short to medium term...

• Reply 89 of 276
    Apple sure is growing by leaps and bounds in China.

And doing so against Tim Cooks beliefs.

What are you talking about? You implied that Cook and Apple have a lot of influence abroad. I asked you for an example of that influence, and you posted the reply above.

You're making no sense at all.
  • Reply 90 of 276
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    What are you talking about? You implied that Cook and Apple have a lot of influence abroad. I asked you for an example of that influence, and you posted the reply above.

You're making no sense at all.

The Chinese really have a love for Apple product. More do than many Chinese brands.
    But yeah, Apple is not being influential there.
  • Reply 91 of 276
    muppetry wrote: »

Partly inevitable - Fox is the only mainstream channel that is overtly right wing, so not surprising that it gets a lot of viewers. But another point that is often overlooked is that its basic news coverage is not that bad, and not the cause of its reputation for spreading nonsense. That's down to its talk shows.

I know that. What I meant by my post was that to declare victory against two pathetic-viewership channels, CNN and MSNBC, is not exactly impressive.
  • Reply 92 of 276

The Chinese really have a love for Apple product. More do than many Chinese brands.
    But yeah, Apple is not being influential there.

What does the 'love for Apple product' by the Chinese people have to do with Cook's 'influence' there? Whom exactly is Cook going to influence? About what? How? Again, is there an example of that type of influence you can point to? If not by Apple, by some -- any -- other company?

Perhaps you mean something else by the word 'influence'. I am completely befuddled.
  • Reply 93 of 276
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

The majority of people in the US live in a tiny minority of states.

To put it in simple terms, there are 538 electoral votes (435 Reps + 100 Sens + 3 for DC).  CA, NY, FL, PA and TX account for 171 of those 538, or  about 32%.  So, out of 50 states and the District, 5 states account for nearly a third of the Electoral College.  

CA alone is 55.  The smallest 15 states combined add up to 56 -- and they are each getting 2 for the Senate.  Based solely on population (House), CA has 53 and those smallest 15 states have 26.  So, CA has more than TWICE the population of the smallest 15 states COMBINED.

What "most" states have done is irrelevant.

Presidential elections and general elections are much different. General is majority vote. So for example, the most populous state in the country, California, did vote to ban same sex marriage. 

• Reply 94 of 276
    Quote:

Personally, I think you'd benefit from scaling back your ignorance and learning a bit about basic statistics. Courses are aplenty and inexpensive in community colleges. (Unless, of course, something about your political persuasion makes you anti-science, and you prefer to wallow in it.)

In the meantime, here's something to get you started: http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

I don't care what the so called statistics say. The majority of the country voted to ban same sex marriage. You don't need statistics to know that. The rulings of the Supreme Court overturning all the voter approved laws doesn't reflect the opinion of the general population. 

• Reply 95 of 276
    Quote:

I know that. What I meant by my post was that to declare victory against two pathetic-viewership channels, CNN and MSNBC, is not exactly impressive.

It is impressive. You aren't going to compare the ratings of Fox News Channel to National Geographic. Fox News ratings are higher than any other news station. To me, that's impressive. Ratings are everything when it comes to TV. 

• Reply 96 of 276
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    800K doesn't make any of those people correct...just proves they stand behind their bigoted opinions and enjoy throwing money at a lost, and immoral cause.

rogifan wrote: »
    Oh and by the way, in just 2 days over $800K has been raised by over 28,000 people in support of Memories Pizza. Tim Cook's viewpoint is NOT the majority viewpoint by a long shot. It's only a majority view point in the media, pop culture and tech echo chamber,
  • Reply 97 of 276
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    That's right. Just ignore everything else.

You know what would be hypocritical?

If Apple & Cook decided to 'not serve' the people in countries they had policy or cultural disagreements with.

Sounds more like the policy of a certain pizza shop in Indiana receiving its 15 minutes of fame right now.

Speaking of pizza...I read something about the owner suggesting he'd refuse to cater a gay wedding. it seems rather far fetched to imagine a pizza joint being asked to cater such a (stereotypically) high end event. I've never seen pizza served at the trashiest wedding I've ever attended. And I've been to weddings in Indiana. Sorry to interject levity into this obviously heated topic.

The point is Apple will serve anyone who is interested in doing business with them. No paying customer is turned away. Tim will happily sell a bigot of any stripe in the US or abroad an iPhone or a Mac. If Kim Jung Un walked into an Apple store, they'd happily sell him whatever he wanted. Cook isn't putting himself or Apple in the position of passing judgement on potential customers. That's between the customer and his fellow man, his government and his God.
  • Reply 98 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DiegoG View Post

800K doesn't make any of those people correct...just proves they stand behind their bigoted opinions and enjoy throwing money at a lost, and immoral cause.

How do religious beliefs, which have been around for thousands of years, make someone bigoted? It's more wrong to force someone to accept something they don't believe in. 

• Reply 99 of 276
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Fox apologized?? Must have fukt up real good!
  • Reply 100 of 276
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    Regardless if you outright included examples from other news networks, once you criticize their precious Faux News, the ignorant lemmings will focus on nothing but that. LOL
    Perhaps not, but they certainly incited a real war..... :lol:

(As I mentioned in my post, I am not a huge fan of news from the 'other networks' either. Perhaps you should read my post again).