Fox Business News apologizes after commentator calls Apple CEO Tim Cook a 'bigot'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 276
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Presidential elections and general elections are much different. General is majority vote. So for example, the most populous state in the country, California, did vote to ban same sex marriage. 

I was attempting to explain that the majority of the population and the majority of states are two different things.  Anyways, it's irrelevant:

Quote:

On 26 June 2013, the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional for the federal government of the United States to deny federal benefits of marriage to married same-sex couples, if it is recognized or performed in a state that allows same-sex marriage.[171] Same-sex couples can legally marry in thirty-six states: AlaskaArizonaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFloridaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansas,[172] MaineMarylandMassachusettsMinnesotaMontanaNevadaNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNorth CarolinaOklahomaOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyoming, the District of ColumbiaSt. Louis (Missouri), and twenty-two Native American tribes) receive state-level benefits (with the exception of Kansas).[173][174][175][176]

• Reply 102 of 276
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I was attempting to explain that the majority of the population and the majority of states are two different things.  Anyways, it's irrelevant:

Your quote is irrelevant. Only 3 states approved gay marriage by popular vote. 

• Reply 103 of 276
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

*headdesk*

• Reply 104 of 276
    Quote:

*headdesk*

Hit it a little harder. The point I'm making is popular vote banned same sex marriage. Supreme Court rulings don't reflect the popular vote.

• Reply 105 of 276
    Quote:

I don't care what the so called statistics say. 

I thought that might be the case. I guess Jindal was right (I've linked it to Fox News for you, since I am guessing you'd believe them).

• Reply 106 of 276
    Quote:

I realize that, but when the majority of the states, which include the most populous states in the country, it is relevant. If you compare the states that voted to ban gay marriage to the ones that actually voted to approve gay marriage (Maine, Maryland, and DC) that is the majority of the population. 

• Reply 107 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I thought that might be the case. I guess Jindal was right (I've linked it to Fox News for you, since I am guessing you'd believe them).

Why would I care what Jindal says? Bottom line, the majority of the population voted to ban same sex marriage. 

• Reply 108 of 276
    Quote:

I was attempting to explain that the majority of the population and the majority of states are two different things.  Anyways, it's irrelevant

It occurs to me that you may be wasting your time. (I just had this epiphany that I am, mine).

• Reply 109 of 276
    Quote:

It occurs to me that you may be wasting your time.

It seems that way. Liberals don't handle facts very well. 

• Reply 110 of 276
    Quote:

It seems that way. Liberals don't handle facts very well. 

One final recommendation: You may also consider a basic Civics class.

• Reply 111 of 276
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Partly inevitable - Fox is the only mainstream channel that is overtly right wing, so not surprising that it gets a lot of viewers. But another point that is often overlooked is that its basic news coverage is not that bad, and not the cause of its reputation for spreading nonsense. That's down to its talk shows.

I know that. What I meant by my post was that to declare victory against two pathetic-viewership channels, CNN and MSNBC, is not exactly impressive.

Yes - that's also true.

• Reply 112 of 276
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    Yes... The whole "you can't be intolerant of my intolerance" argument. Classic Reich Wing...
    Ah the left, always claiming to be the tolerant ones...until you disagree with them. 
  • Reply 113 of 276
    Quote:

One final recommendation: You may also consider a basic Civics class.

I did take a civics class. Again, what's that have to do with popular vote? 

• Reply 114 of 276
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »

The USA operates on the principle that you are free to do anything not specifically declared illegal by legislation or the constitution of your state and the U.S. constitution & legislation.

Obviously, we don't always live up to our principles. So gay marriage was virtually unheard of and very few asserted their rights through the legal system until relatively recently.

Due to our assumption that things are legal unless specifically banned, there is no real reason to 'approve gay marriage' unless there is already a law on the books to specifically prohibit such marriages. My impression is the fights have been against statues or constitutional amendments to add a prohibition of gay marriage specifically.

Additionally, courts have been overturning existing laws on constitutional grounds in the states. This really bugs people who support the laws that are being thrown out, but for better or worse, I prefer having a judiciary who has the power to overrule legislation they deem unconstitutional. Each branch of government has a check to its power.

In my state of Minnesota, there was an attempt to pass a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. As the amendment didn't carry the popular vote, gay marriage is legal. No approval required. And regardless of how you choose to spin the way the question was posed, we had a statewide opportunity to vote on a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage and it was voted down fair and square.
  • Reply 115 of 276
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    I find it hilarious that they call Tim cook a bigot hypocrite while they point out apple obviously does not discriminate on who it sells its products to. I.E. They don't discriminate.
    Unlike this law that allows companies to legally discriminate who they sell their products/services too. So no, tim is not a bigot or hypocrite.
  • Reply 116 of 276
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiegoG View Post

800K doesn't make any of those people correct...just proves they stand behind their bigoted opinions and enjoy throwing money at a lost, and immoral cause.

How do religious beliefs, which have been around for thousands of years, make someone bigoted? It's more wrong to force someone to accept something they don't believe in. 

Are you asking how it is being claimed that religious beliefs, per se, are bigoted? Because that's not what is being claimed at all. Beliefs, religious or otherwise, are not necessarily bigoted, and not necessarily not bigoted. In this case, the rights being asserted, under the umbrella of religious freedom, appear to permit bigotry. That is the issue.

• Reply 117 of 276
    Your mistake is trying to correlate high sales numbers at the consumer level with some level of influence at the political/government level. Which is far from reality.
    msantti wrote: »
    The Chinese really have a love for Apple product. More do than many Chinese brands.
    But yeah, Apple is not being influential there.
  • Reply 118 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Are you asking how it is being claimed that religious beliefs, per se, are bigoted? Because that's not what is being claimed at all. Beliefs, religious or otherwise, are not necessarily bigoted, and not necessarily not bigoted. In this case, the rights being asserted, under the umbrella of religious freedom, appear to permit bigotry. That is the issue.

I think the liberal media is trying to make this law worse than it really is. Business owners have rights as well. If they don't want to serve a gay couple based on their religious beliefs, then so be it. Of course, many people will feel that is wrong but its just as wrong to force those business owners to accept something their beliefs don't. 

• Reply 119 of 276
    That may be true...but TV is NOT everything. So it pretty much negates that accomplishment.
    boltsfan17 wrote: »

It is impressive. You aren't going to compare the ratings of Fox News Channel to National Geographic. Fox News ratings are higher than any other news station. To me, that's impressive. Ratings are everything when it comes to TV. 
  • Reply 120 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DiegoG View Post

That may be true...but TV is NOT everything. So it pretty much negates that accomplishment.

That makes no sense to what I said. Ratings mean everything to TV. If you don't like TV, that's a completely different issue.