Fox Business News apologizes after commentator calls Apple CEO Tim Cook a 'bigot'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 276
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Let's wait and see as these people get older.

Did you see the part how 18-29 year-olds in 1996 became ~30-49 year-olds in 2014, and more of that group approves?

Actually, it looks like approval accelerates as people age. Compared to the 50-64 year olds in 1996, almost three times as many of the 65+ group approved in 2014.

Lastly, you can see that a larger % of 65+ in 2014 approve of same sex marriage than the % of 18-29 year olds in 1996.

• Reply 182 of 276
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Actually, it isn't against federal law to refuse service based on sexual preference. 

While that's true to the letter of the law, in the courts, precedent has been set to the contrary.

• Reply 183 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

BBC fired Jeremy Clarkson and killed TopGear, they're dead to me now.

So let me get this straight. The BBC are dead to you because Clarkson got fired. Am I right?

So you along with over one million people who signed a petition are all totally ok with a man staying in his job who verbally and racially attacked one of the producers of Top Gear, Oisin Tymon. Further he physically assaulted him and he had to go and receive hospital treatment.

And you think this is ok?

To quote something you said earlier... 

"So because something is popular, that makes it right?"

Okay then.

• Reply 184 of 276
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

"McGuirk argued that Cook "won't allow these religious people to exercise their freedom," and challenged Cook to stop selling products in countries like Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, and Iran, where "they not only dump on women and treat them as second class citizens, but as I said, they would execute gay people."

The man has a point. This is what happens when a CEO becomes politically active. I can hear the Christian conservative preachers pounding on the pulpit now, calling the iPhone a tool of the Devil and admonishing the congregants to eschew Apple products.

• Reply 185 of 276
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »

One final recommendation: You may also consider a basic Civics class.

I did take a civics class. Again, what's that have to do with popular vote? 

It has to do with the fact that you're confusing where you think you live ('democracy') with where you actually live ('constitutional republic'). :lol:
  • Reply 186 of 276

I'm sure that Tim Cook will speak out against human rights abuses in China and other places. It's likely to happen right after he becomes a citizen of those countries, which would be shortly before HP and all of the FoxNews sponsors refuse to do business with them and insist that all their financial backing from such places immediately cease.

But it  is pretty amusing to see that so many people are willing to equate Indiana with China and Saudi Arabia. Maybe that will be the new state motto: "Come to Indiana. We're a lot like China and Saudi Arabia!"

Come to think of it, I don't remember hearing about Martin Luther King Jr. ever speaking out about human rights abuses in the Middle East either. I'll bet he even rode in cars. What a hypocrite!

• Reply 187 of 276
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm sure that Tim Cook will speak out against human rights abuses in China and other places. It's likely to happen right after he becomes a citizen of those countries, which would be shortly before HP and all of the FoxNews sponsors refuse to do business with them and insist that all their financial backing from such places immediately cease.

But it  is pretty amusing to see that so many people are willing to equate Indiana with China and Saudi Arabia. Maybe that will be the new state motto: "Come to Indiana. We're a lot like China and Saudi Arabia!"

Come to think of it, I don't remember hearing about Martin Luther King Jr. ever speaking out about human rights abuses in the Middle East either. I'll bet he even rode in cars. What a hypocrite!

What are "human rights"? I know what are our constitutionally guaranteed rights in America.

Where's the "Human Constitution" and which country backs those things up?

Outside US borders, you are subject to either the law of the jungle or the laws of the country in which you are standing.
  • Reply 188 of 276
    ajmasajmas Posts: 600member
    Tim is an American citizen, standing up for what he believes in, in a country where he is resident and has voting rights. To get involved in other countries laws would be complicated at best. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.
  • Reply 189 of 276
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

lol.

Being born any ethnicity is not the same as choosing a same sex partner.

And people who actually know why they believe this is wrong will likely not change their minds.

The "it goes against my grain," "it's gross," etc types will likely alter their beliefs just to get along with the majority.

So, straight people CHOOSE to be straight?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"McGuirk argued that Cook "won't allow these religious people to exercise their freedom," and challenged Cook to stop selling products in countries like Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, and Iran, where "they not only dump on women and treat them as second class citizens, but as I said, they would execute gay people."

The man has a point. This is what happens when a CEO becomes politically active. I can hear the Christian conservative preachers pounding on the pulpit now, calling the iPhone a tool of the Devil and admonishing the congregants to eschew Apple products.

1) Cook was hardly the only one.  Do I need to post that list again?  I seriously doubt that you have more acumen than the CEOs of Apple, Intel, LinkedIn, Cisco, Microsoft, Ebay, Twitter, PayPal, and over 40 other major tech companies COMBINED!  I really don't.  No offense.  Not to put you on the spot, but how much money did you make last year?  I'm guessing it's not 100s of billions of dollars.

2) CEOs are ALWAYS politically active to one degree or another.  Don't kid yourself.  And honestly, some Westboro-like inbred morons weren't out there spending billions on iPads and iPhones and Apple Watches anyways.  I don't think that Apple is worried about some guy ranting between sessions of sleeping with his daughters.

• Reply 190 of 276
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member

Here's a story that none of the mainstream media will report on. More family-run bakery discrimination. Enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgWIhYAtan4

• Reply 191 of 276
    aaronj wrote: »

1) Cook was hardly the only one.  Do I need to post that list again?  I seriously doubt that you have more acumen than the CEOs of Apple, Intel, LinkedIn, Cisco, Microsoft, Ebay, Twitter, PayPal, and over 40 other major tech companies COMBINED!  I really don't.  No offense.  Not to put you on the spot, but how much money did you make last year?  I'm guessing it's not 100s of billions of dollars.

2) CEOs are ALWAYS politically active to one degree or another.  Don't kid yourself.  And honestly, some Westboro-like inbred morons weren't out there spending billions on iPads and iPhones and Apple Watches anyways.  I don't think that Apple is worried about some guy ranting between sessions of sleeping with his daughters.

You make an interesting point.

Do you approve of CEOs and large businesses using their financial clout and political influence to change public opinion and get laws changed?

If you DO approve, what are your thoughts on the Koch brothers?
  • Reply 192 of 276
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Do you approve of CEOs and large businesses using their financial clout and political influence to change public opinion and get laws changed?

Speaking for myself, and independently of the current issue at hand (where I happen to agree with Cook's point of view, if not his pedestal), I am deeply troubled when corporations get involved in issues of social policy. On the left or the right.

After all, it's a short step from there to plutocracy.

• Reply 193 of 276
    aaronj wrote: »

So religious people support incest now?

Bigot much?
  • Reply 194 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh and by the way, in just 2 days over $800K has been raised by over 28,000 people in support of Memories Pizza. Tim Cook's viewpoint is NOT the majority viewpoint by a long shot. It's only a majority view point in the media, pop culture and tech echo chamber,

We'll be waiting even longer for American Conservatives to see themselves as purveyors of Christian Sharia.

• Reply 195 of 276
    Speaking for myself, and independently of the current issue at hand (where I happen to agree with Cook's point of view, if not his pedestal), I am deeply troubled when corporations get involved in issues of social policy. On the left or the right.

After all, it's a short step from there to plutocracy.

Our political system is already a corporatocracy.
  • Reply 196 of 276
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Oh and by the way, in just 2 days over $800K has been raised by over 28,000 people in support of Memories Pizza. Tim Cook's viewpoint is NOT the majority viewpoint by a long shot. It's only a majority view point in the media, pop culture and tech echo chamber,

Your evidemce doesn't support your conclusion at all. Dur
  • Reply 197 of 276
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    Sexual orientation was never an issue before until now. Orientation between a man and a woman is accepted as inherent. In the eyes of many, homosexuality is not inherent. 

Don't forget about Socrates and his young boyfriend Alcibiades; in fact the Greeks as a rule in the Classical age found homosexuality acceptable. This is why the Classics Departments (Greek and Latin language and literature) at modern universities have traditionally been refuges of gay scholars.

Quiz: In the Illiad (Homer), who was the hero Achilles' boyfriend? (Confession: I forget his name.)

The long dark age of gay repression following the Athenian ascendency paralleled the rise of, guess what? Starts with a "C."

We're just now getting over that and evolving beyond it, that's all.
  • Reply 198 of 276
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    So because something is popular, that makes it right? Okay then...

When discussing civil rights and equality for all, yes.
  • Reply 199 of 276
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    When discussing civil rights and equality for all, yes.

There can only be equality for all when special treatment for certain groups (just name one) is ended. The Constitution and Bill of Rights applies to individuals, not collectives.
  • Reply 200 of 276
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Don't forget about Socrates and his young boyfriend Alcibiades; in fact the Greeks as a rule in the Classical age found homosexuality acceptable. This is why the Classics Departments (Greek and Latin language and literature) at modern universities have traditionally been refuges of gay scholars.

Quiz: In the Illiad (Homer), who was the hero Achilles' boyfriend? (Confession: I forget his name.)

The long dark age of gay repression following the Athenian ascendency paralleled the rise of, guess what? Starts with a "C."

We're just now getting over that and evolving beyond it, that's all.

Patroclus