Fox Business News apologizes after commentator calls Apple CEO Tim Cook a 'bigot'

Comments

• Reply 221 of 276
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    zoetmb wrote: »

Not when the business operates in a place of public accommodation.   No retailer has the legal right to discriminate against anyone for reasons enumerated as civil rights.   They can have rules like, "no shirt, no shoes, no service" and bars can ban children, but that's about as far as it goes.    Because where does it end?   Can a "religious" movie theatre owner ban mixed-race couples?    Can they ban two male friends coming to the theatre together because the owner thinks they might be gay?    Can they ban Jews or Muslims because the owner doesn't feel those are valid religions?   Can they ban a heterosexual couple who they think is unmarried and the woman is pregnant?     I really don't think we want to have a public life where businesses can discriminate based on who they think sinners are, based on their personal choice of religion.    Now can the religion itself discriminate as to who it lets join?   Yes.   Religions are all about discrimination.   

On the other hand, I work as a consultant out of my home, which is not a place of public accommodation and I don't see clients here.   I turn down work all the time for a variety of arbitrary reasons.    If I happened to turn down work from someone who happened to be in a protected group, I wouldn't want to be sued for discrimination if they were paranoid enough to feel that was the cause of me rejecting the work.    Having said that, I don't feel like I need any new laws to protect me.    

One of the problems with these new laws is that they're specifically targeted at gays.  If they weren't, they would have been enacted long ago.

I agree with much of what you say.

I recall that, a couple of years ago, some taxi drivers in Minneapolis -- most of them Somali Muslims -- refused to take passengers from the airport because they had duty free liquor with them. I also recall the furor it caused. But I am guessing that those taxi drivers could have sought protection under the RFRA.

So let me ask those here for it: would you agree with the taxi I drivers? What if a Hindu owner of an Indian vegetarian restaurant refused to serve those who ate beef? Ok with that?
  • Reply 222 of 276
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick29 View Post

I don't know about a bigot, but at hypocrite for sure. Why is Apple still doing business in Iran where they stone gays to death?

http://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-46362-page-3.html

Apple does not do business in Iran as far as I know. I believe the US sanctions prohibit Apple to export products to Iran. Although Apple products are sold in Iran they are actually smuggled in from places like  Iraq, Dubai and even Europe, The link you provided is misleading. There are no official Apple Retail or online stores in Iran.

Edit:http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/06/23/222333.html

• Reply 223 of 276
    Fox News is horse shit.

I think you may be dissing horses. Or sh!t.
  • Reply 224 of 276

BBC? The Brussels Broadcasting Corp which is supposed to be politically independent but receives an EU handout and thus is biased in favour of the United States of Europe

• Reply 225 of 276
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick29 View Post

I don't know about a bigot, but at hypocrite for sure. Why is Apple still doing business in Iran where they stone gays to death?

Apple does not do business in Iran as far as I know. I believe the US sanctions prohibit Apple to export products to Iran. Although Apple products are sold in Iran they are actually smuggled in from places like  Iraq, Dubai and even Europe, The link you provided is misleading. There are no official Apple Retail or online stores in Iran.

Plus - even if they were, it would only be (arguably) inconsistent if Apple were refusing to do business in Indiana. It would only be hypocritical if Tim Cook were, himself, discriminating against gays. The actual meaning of "hypocrisy" appears to have been lost in the excitement of the religious outrage.

• Reply 226 of 276
    nick29 wrote: »

1) Iran is not the only country that does that. 2) It really would advance the discussion if you could bother to read the thread instead of bringing up points similar to those that have been brought up repeatedly. Many people have eloquently responded to similar points above.
  • Reply 227 of 276
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick LeSwunder View Post

Fox News is horse shit.

I think you may be dissing horses. Or sh!t.

Fox News has no beneficial effect on roses that I'm aware of.

• Reply 228 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

You know what else is guaranteed by freedom of association?  Discrimination.  I have the right to not sell to christians if I want, just as a black person has a right not to sell to the KKK.

That isn't really correct. Federal law says that you can't discriminate based race, color, country of origin, sex, religion, or disability. State laws can expand on that and add other categories of protection like sexual orientation etc., but they can't remove anything federally protected. Also, both state and federal RFPAs were not previously oriented towards for-profit business and their interaction with private citizens. It's almost always been geared towards non-profits that were interacting with the government itself..

• Reply 229 of 276
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I agree with much of what you say.

I recall that, a couple of years ago, some taxi drivers in Minneapolis -- most of them Somali Muslims -- refused to take passengers from the airport because they had duty free liquor with them. I also recall the furor it caused. But I am guessing that those taxi drivers could have sought protection under the RFRA.

So let me ask those here for it: would you agree with the taxi I drivers? What if a Hindu owner of an Indian vegetarian restaurant refused to serve those who ate beef? Ok with that?

Irate Customer:  "Where's the beef"?!

• Reply 230 of 276

Irate Customer:  "Where's the beef"?!

I thought you said you were a naan-vegetarian, sir.
  • Reply 231 of 276
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I thought you said you were a naan-vegetarian, sir.

Customer:  "I'm a naan-practicing vegetarian."

(By the way, you're making me hungry now)

• Reply 232 of 276
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I can hear the Christian conservative preachers pounding on the pulpit now, calling the iPhone a tool of the Devil and admonishing the congregants to eschew Apple products.

Honestly, that is probably going to happen even though every one of those pastors' families probably has at least one Apple product in their home. 

• Reply 233 of 276
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You need to understand the term "collectivism" before you comment:  

collectivism |k??lekt??viz?m|nounthe practice or principle of giving a group priority over each individual in it.• the theory and practice of the ownership of land and the means of production by the people or the state.

The US was founded on the ideals of individualism, self-ownership and free will, not those of collectivists. The states established the Federal government and restrict its powers through the US Constitution. Communism and Marxism are collectivist and do not respect the individual, property ownership or the idea of free will.

I said this country was founded by a collective. What I said is true.

done by people acting as a group: a collective protest.   • belonging or relating to all the members of a group: ministers who share collective responsibility | a collective sigh of relief from parents.   • taken as a whole; aggregate: the collective power of the workforce.

Fitting in with a certain crowd who has a motive to spread their beliefs and ideas to another group of people (which they feel will work for the benefit of everyone in society). Isn't that what you are basically doing also, by being part of a group or political party?

• Reply 234 of 276
    @rogifan

Tim Cook is an AMERICAN. Tim Cook is not a Chinese or Saudi citizen. You can call him a hypocrite, but your argument is as big a failure as Carly's future presidential bid.
  • Reply 235 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Tim could flood the state of Indiana with millions of dollars worth of ads against Republicans so they struggle a bit more in that state when elections come about. 

Why would he do that? Where do you come up with these ideas?

Tim's purpose was to comment on a bill that was getting passed in the very near future. Tim's voice along with others appears to have been enough to get the bills revised. To do the things you suggest seem a bit far fetched and illogical.

Quote:

Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Speaking of pizza...I read something about the owner suggesting he'd refuse to cater a gay wedding. it seems rather far fetched to imagine a pizza joint being asked to cater such a (stereotypically) high end event. I've never seen pizza served at the trashiest wedding I've ever attended. And I've been to weddings in Indiana. Sorry to interject levity into this obviously heated topic.

I've been seeing this comment a lot on the web. It isn't rare, and even at my wedding, to have pizza come in as a late night snack during the reception. It may not be the main meal, but it's a great snack for the drunks, so not as far fetched as people on the internet think.

• Reply 236 of 276
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Why would he do that? Where do you come up with these ideas?

Tim's purpose was to comment on a bill that was getting passed in the very near future. Tim's voice along with others appears to have been enough to get the bills revised. To do the things you suggest seem a bit far fetched and illogical.
    I've been seeing this comment a lot on the web. It isn't rare, and even at my wedding, to have pizza come in as a late night snack during the reception. It may not be the main meal, but it's a great snack for the drunks, so not as far fetched as people on the internet think.

As if businesses and individuals never use their money to further their own agendas and interests. Far fetched indeed.
  • Reply 237 of 276
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member

Wow, Tim Cook said "Apple is open to all" and he gets called a "bigot?" 

Mind blown. 

• Reply 238 of 276
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh and by the way, in just 2 days over $800K has been raised by over 28,000 people in support of Memories Pizza. Tim Cook's viewpoint is NOT the majority viewpoint by a long shot. It's only a majority view point in the media, pop culture and tech echo chamber,

WSJ poll, March 9th: "The new survey found that 59% of Americans support allowing same-sex marriage, nearly double the 30% support reported in 2004."

• Reply 239 of 276
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

So because SOME people on threads display intolerance and bigotry, Tim shouldn't speak out?   What if this were 1964 and we were talking about the voting rights act and equal housing laws?   Should someone like Tim not have spoken out then either just because many people were racists and opposed to the laws?   

Speaking out is exactly what one should be doing when it comes to what they believe are civil rights...

...20 years from now, we'll look back at people who opposed gay marriage the same way we look at those who opposed racial inter-marriage.    People also used religion as a rationale for banning interracial marriage.   

There was a quote about something like this once.  What was it?

Quote:

Cowardice asks the question, is it safe?

Expediency ask the question, is it politic?

Vanity asks the question, is it popular?

But, conscience ask the question, is it right? And there comes a time when we must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because it is right.” 

-        -   Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

And for the record, we won't look back on this in 20 years like we look at race. Most of us already look at it that way. Now. This won't be 20 years away, but a year to 3.

• Reply 240 of 276
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

1) How could he be called anything other than a bigot? On no level is he tolerant of opposing religious views. That's the definition of "Bigot".

2) They make good products. But my iPhone isnt homosexual, is it?

3) I wish Apple would leave politics alone and continue to make great products. I agree that Cook should be free to express his opinions, but to try to use Apple as some platform to give his voice more weight is just plain wrong.

1) Tim Cook is standing up for tolerance for everyone.  Apparently you can't tell the difference between being intolerant and being intolerant of intolerance.  Nowhere does Tim suggest gay or other minorities should withhold services from religious people of any stripe.  Quite the opposite.

2) WTF.

3) Corporations can poor money into self-serving politics but a company speaks out about injustices and that offends you.  WTF.

If there are credible arguments for those laws, you certainly are not making them.