Ousted HP CEO Carly Fiorina calls Apple's Tim Cook a hypocrite for stance on Indiana law

11416181920

Comments

  • Reply 301 of 394
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,328member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

     



    That ruling upholds a ban on affirmative action - it doesn't permit discrimination. Where were you going with that?




    I was under the impression that Affirmative Action was passed as a remedy for discrimination.




    I think that was the idea, but a poor one. In any case, banning affirmative action does not equate to condoning discrimination, or to disapproving of other, more defensible, anti-discrimination measures.

  • Reply 302 of 394
    At least Republicans are consistent. They want to do business with these regimes AND they also want to execute gay people and think that women should not enjoy equal rights! :/
  • Reply 303 of 394
    badmonk wrote: »
    Let me break it down to explain it to you, Carly:

    Tim Cook is an American.

    He runs an American company.

    It is an American law.

    Oh one more thing....

    you sucked as a CEO. You did no favors for HP with your bad paranoid decisions.

    Also, HP does business with Saudi Arabia and she also went to school and has a driver's license.

    What a hypocrite!
  • Reply 304 of 394
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 299member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post





    Obamacare: The new Godwin's Law that automatically ends all arguments that 'Democrats are better than Republicans'.



    I am unsure what you're referencing here but to me anyway, any political philosophy be it Democratic, Neo-Conservative, Republican or Libertarian, is just another religion. America needs more pragmatic leaders and decision makers to extricate ourselves from the mess we're in and solve some very disturbing and pressing problems.

     

    Fiorina's stance was classic neo-con. She's gonna teach all those other countries a lesson, no doubt. Can't mind her own business.

  • Reply 305 of 394
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     

     

    So if the law is violated and the reasons given provide the "violator" with plausible coverage, you don't really care. Is that accurate?




    Utterly irrelevant. No, I will not accept your invitation to drift the topic. You are wrong on the facts. They are now corrected, for anyone who cares to know what is true and what is not. End of discussion.

  • Reply 306 of 394
    jakebjakeb Posts: 557member
    So he's not allowed to care more about the country he lives in, the country where his nearly-trillion dollar company is headquartered in? Why is is hypocritical to care more about something happening in your own back yard?

    Also, not like HP had any problems selling to anyone and everyone.
  • Reply 307 of 394
    Tim's behavior perfectly matches the definition of hypocrisy "the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform." Tim's article in the Washington Post on Monday said "I was never taught, nor do I believe, that religion should be used as an excuse to discriminate." Meanwhile, he remains silent while Saudi Arabia bases their legal system on the religious Sharia Law which practices the purest form of discrimination by executing people for being gay. Bravo Carly for pointing out Tim's hypocrisy - she got the definition right.
  • Reply 308 of 394
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    splif wrote: »

    How is it special treatment to be treated equally under the law in this country? As you yourself stated this not a theocracy.

    Here's the thing. He already gets special treatment under the law. His CHOICE of religion gets him special treatment. When he goes into a bakery and orders a Christian wedding cake, the baker cannot say "sorry, I don't bake cakes for Christians." That illegal. The same "special treatment" he and others like him decry for gays is something they already enjoy.

    Let's assume for a moment that being gay is 100% a choice (which, for the record, I think is complete bull**** and something only the most intellectually deficient among us choose to believe). Why does someone's CHOICE of religion secure them special protection under the law when someone's choice of relationship does not?
  • Reply 309 of 394
    splifsplif Posts: 592member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by robbyx View Post





    Here's the thing. He already gets special treatment under the law. His CHOICE of religion gets him special treatment. When he goes into a bakery and orders a Christian wedding cake, the baker cannot say "sorry, I don't bake cakes for Christians." That illegal. The same "special treatment" he and others like him decry for gays is something they already enjoy.



    Let's assume for a moment that being gay is 100% a choice (which, for the record, I think is complete bull**** and something only the most intellectually deficient among us choose to believe). Why does someone's CHOICE of religion secure them special protection under the law when someone's choice of relationship does not?

    I agree with you. He has the right to practice what ever religion he chooses (or none at all). He does not have the right to impose those beliefs on the rest of society through law. I think the whole thing amounts to pandering to part of the Republican base. They need this constituency to win elections. So why not try to pass a law that essentially will get struck down. Now said politician can say I tried but the activist courts and left wing blah, blah, blah doesn't believe in the Constitution. See what I have done...I'm on your side. We will continue the fight. Vote for me and I'll set you free. What essentially happened here is a disagreement between the business wing and the religious wing of the Republican party. Guess who lost.

  • Reply 310 of 394

    If Cook was guilty as accused of being the same sort of bigot, then he would try to steer Apple products away from places like the Middle East.

  • Reply 311 of 394
    isteelers wrote: »
    <span style="font-size:16px;line-height:1.4em;">As to why Christians concentrate so much on the Old Testament vs. Jesus's teachings, that is a mystery to me as well.</span>
    Interesting point.

    Maybe we should call them OldTestamentians instead of Christians.

    Most of today's fundamentalists Christian churches are not that different from the conservative Jews they replaced in that they reject Jesus' teachings and hold to the Laws that He came to supersede. If you understand exactly who the pharisees represent, and why Jesus hated them so, you would see that is what fundamentalists Christians are today.
  • Reply 312 of 394
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 286member

    If you want to live your life according to some made up horseshit from 2000 years ago, fair play to you.  Don't assume to discriminate against people who don't.

    You can disagree with the comment but you show your utter ignorance when calling I assume you mean the Bible made up. Do some honest investigation before you spit out crap comments.
  • Reply 313 of 394
    Carly for President........... NOT!!

    If a lady voted as one of the worst tech CEOs ever actually gets to go to the White House, I really don't know what to say about politics Stateside...
  • Reply 314 of 394
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RapunzelCorona View Post



    Carly for President........... NOT!!



    If a lady voted as one of the worst tech CEOs ever actually gets to go to the White House, I really don't know what to say about politics Stateside...



    Trust me, you don't have to worry.  She might think of herself as some great person, but she stands no chance.  You don't have to worry.

  • Reply 315 of 394
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post





    Most of today's fundamentalists Christian churches are not that different from the conservative Jews they replaced in that they reject Jesus' teachings and hold to the Laws that He came to supersede. If you understand exactly who the pharisees represent, and why Jesus hated them so, you would see that is what fundamentalists Christians are today.

    You clearly know nothing about the Bible. Fortunately this forum is full of people who have degrees in history, philosophy, religious studies and literature so no neo-con-Christian brainwashed indoctrinated ditto head is going to get away with any typical talk radio talking point. You are not the person to argue that case though.

  • Reply 316 of 394
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilly33 View Post

    You can disagree with the comment but you show your utter ignorance when calling I assume you mean the Bible made up. Do some honest investigation before you spit out crap comments.

    While I might not choose to call the bible "made up horse shit," I would certainly call it an "authored work of art."

    What "honest investigation" would lead me to believe otherwise? It was "authored" (in essence, "made up,") no?

     

    Or are you implying it is "the word of God," and that we should take your word on this?

  • Reply 317 of 394

    All the Indiana law is meant to do is prevent gay activists from shutting down mom-and-pop businesses who do not wish to be conscripted into the culture wars to honor things they are spiritually repelled by. If I am a Christian (which I personally am not) and I feel that homosexuality is a sin (which I personally do not), it should not be possible for some hate group posing as a "civil rights" organization to send a couple of gay activists into my shop and basically serve me with a legal demand that I perform some service for them at their wedding, be it baking a cake or taking pictures. That's all this Indiana law is meant to do. My sympathies are ENTIRELY with the little shops, the ones some of you are perhaps sending hate mail and death threats to, because those shops have the temerity to NOT AGREE with prevailing attitudes about homosexuality. And let's clear something else up while we're at it. Disagreement is not the same as hatred. They may exist on the same emotional continuum, but they are worlds apart, in the same way that an AK-47 is worlds apart from a Colonial-era musket, though both are firearms. I see far more honest-to-God pedal-to-the-metal hatred on the part of liberals and the left (including in this thread). It's disgusting and it makes my heart sick.

  • Reply 318 of 394
    steveausteveau Posts: 248member
    Dear Sestewart, Romans 1 is St. Paul the rallying the persecuted almost 2000 years ago by raging against their oppressors, for something more relevant try 1 Corinthians 8-13 instead.
  • Reply 319 of 394
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post



    I heard a similar argument from the right saying that "liberals" (is there anything more demonic in the US!) are hypocrites because they want equality for homosexuals in Indiana, but are also wanting a nuclear deal with Iran, who demonize gay people.



    They don't seem to understand that just because you can't make everything better, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make something better.



    If Cook and others are able to play a part in making the world a more equal place, good on them.



    Same goes for the CEO of Wal Mart who's pressure seems to have had a positive outcome in Alabama.

     

    I believe what you really heard was trolling, because I don't think anyone could be that stupid. It's also silly to point out issues around the world without looking at our own country first.

     

    edit: changed my mind, I'll leave my thoughts on other middle eastern governments out of it

  • Reply 320 of 394
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by apeterson View Post

     

    All the Indiana law is meant to do is prevent gay activists from shutting down mom-and-pop businesses who do not wish to be conscripted into the culture wars to honor things they are spiritually repelled by. If I am a Christian (which I personally am not) and I feel that homosexuality is a sin (which I personally do not), it should not be possible for some hate group posing as a "civil rights" organization to send a couple of gay activists into my shop and basically serve me with a legal demand that I perform some service for them at their wedding, be it baking a cake or taking pictures. That's all this Indiana law is meant to do. My sympathies are ENTIRELY with the little shops, the ones some of you are perhaps sending hate mail and death threats to, because those shops have the temerity to NOT AGREE with prevailing attitudes about homosexuality. And let's clear something else up while we're at it. Disagreement is not the same as hatred. They may exist on the same emotional continuum, but they are worlds apart, in the same way that an AK-47 is worlds apart from a Colonial-era musket, though both are firearms. I see far more honest-to-God pedal-to-the-metal hatred on the part of liberals and the left (including in this thread). It's disgusting and it makes my heart sick.


     

    I don't give a crap how they feel. If they want to live in a theocracy, they know where they are. The constitution and the supreme court will kill them back to their own churches and home were religion can be exercise in privacy.

     

    The use of "culture war" means your some GOP zombie reading off a cue card; that's it.

Sign In or Register to comment.