Patent could delay Apple Watch debut in Switzerland, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

The Swiss watchmakers are desperate.

They are gonna be toast and they know it and they just cannot dodge the bullet.

8.0+ Richter disruptions coming to the watch industry only to be followed by tsunamis.

Here is a link to the document

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1700140/2015-04-02-detail-marques.pdf

Thats a stretch seeing Apple hasn't sold a single watch yet and Rolex was founded in 1905 and moved to Switzerland in 1919. To compare a first generation Apple Watch to a Rolex is a bit much even for this forum. Rolex made the first waterproof watch in 1926 so far in 2015 the best Apple could do is let you wash your hands with it on. 

Apple is trying to push this as fashion putting the full court press on the fashion industry, the jury is still out if the consumer will see it as fashion or wearable technology. Apple may sell these like crazy or there may be no bullet to dodge. 

• Reply 22 of 56
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    I think the market for Swiss watches that have battery life longer than 18 hours is safe.

Best comment by far.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    That just gives me more time to smuggle some in from the US and resell them in Switzerland for a premium.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    When I used to have to wind my watch, it lasted 12 hours.
  • Reply 25 of 56

Why those chocolate eating cheese holing neutral bastards.

Can't take credit for this, saw it posted somewhere once.

• Reply 26 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The Swiss are a rich and hi-tech people, it's not a market you want to miss out on.

• Reply 27 of 56
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

People keep talking about Swiss watch brands like they're these magical timepieces that once you buy them and put them on your wrist, they keep time forever, perfectly and without power – That couldn't be further from the truth:

The nature of a fully mechanical watch is that it requires servicing and is prone to faults. While anecdotal I have recently been enquiring with fellow watch wearers and I'm yet to meet anyone that hasn't run into trivial faults: from diamonds falling out to even a crown that came free, these are not what you'd expect for a luxury item over 10k AUD.

Automatics lose their winding when taken from the wrist for a short amount of time, most will operate for around a day off the wrist, but will still need to be topped up by manual winding once wearing resumes. It's a PITA and I find myself resetting the date/time/phases about once a week due to inconsistent wear. The apple watch not only keeps time longer than an automatic (up to three days on the lower-capacity model), but losing charge doesn't result in having to reset the time/inconveniences.

Luxury watch bands rarely perform well with water and not even stainless steel chain links are recommended for showering. (These tend to bleed lubricant onto the wearer.)

The apple watch isn't there to replace switzerland, but it will certainly win much of the money that would automatically go to them. There is now competition for the wrist and frankly that's better for everyone.

• Reply 28 of 56
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Thats a stretch seeing Apple hasn't sold a single watch yet and Rolex was founded in 1905 and moved to Switzerland in 1919. To compare a first generation Apple Watch to a Rolex is a bit much even for this forum. Rolex made the first waterproof watch in 1926 so far in 2015 the best Apple could do is let you wash your hands with it on. 

Apple is trying to push this as fashion putting the full court press on the fashion industry, the jury is still out if the consumer will see it as fashion or wearable technology. Apple may sell these like crazy or there may be no bullet to dodge. 

OK... following your analogy, can I ask you to imagine what a descendant of the AppleWatch will look like in the year 2111?

After all, you're comparing an as-yet-unreleased product to a 96-year old Swiss version of it.

• Reply 29 of 56
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Of course, just like the feature phones and dumb phones on sale today.

Not even remotely compairable

Nonsense. Of course they are. The $350 - $1,000 segment of the Swiss watch market (where most of the unit sales happen) is screwed. The $10,000+ crowd will be less impacted, but it's quite likely that people with that level of affordability will own both a Patek Philippe equivalent and an AppleWatch Edition.

• Reply 30 of 56

Of course, just like the feature phones and dumb phones on sale today.

Actually, more like rotary dial POTS analog land line phones.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OK... following your analogy, can I ask you to imagine what a descendant of the AppleWatch will look like in the year 2111?

After all, you're comparing an as-yet-unreleased product to a 96-year old Swiss version of it.

That was exactly my point. Talking about a first generation watch making Swiss watch makers nervous or saying they "can't dodge the bullet" is a bit of a stretch when the watch hasn't even been released. Also another point that I feel is valid even if the Apple Watch sells 80 million units a year that doesn't mean people don't own more then one watch. 

I'm fairly excited about the Apple Watch but that doesn't mean I will never buy another watch made by someone else. 

• Reply 32 of 56
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

People keep talking about Swiss watch brands like they're these magical timepieces that once you buy them and put them on your wrist, they keep time forever, perfectly and without power – That couldn't be further from the truth:

In fact watches with incredibly complex 3 axis tourbillon movements have been argued to reduce accuracy, but it's there for the beauty of its complexity. 

• Reply 33 of 56
    Ah, so it seems like the Swiss watchmakers are getting jittery about Apple's impending entry into their market eh... But this is only delaying the inevitable anyway, i.e. the Watch's debut in the home of luxury watches and taking away some market share!
  • Reply 34 of 56
    I don't think people buying Rolex's are running out to replace them with an I-Watch I know I'm not.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    As a Swiss citizen I find it extremely interesting how a population that couldn't tell Switzerland apart from Swaziland and Sweden yesterday have become experts on anything Swiss over night, simply by the fact that some old trademark surfaced somewhere in a dusty folder. Kudos to you!
  • Reply 36 of 56
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Today's word of the day boys and girls is "Protectionism."

That's spelled with a capital "P" - as in "Pathetic" and "Puny."

The easy workaround: Basel.

Do read the article.  It might help your understanding of the actual issue and then you could attempt to make a comment that makes sense.  Pay particular attention to the date 1984 in the article.

• Reply 37 of 56
    This may be a storm in a teacup.

According to "The Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property" the trademark owner has an obligation to use the trademark:

Obligation of use

After a five year period of grace, the applicant is obliged to make use of the trademark in relation to the goods and services entered in the register. If the trademark is not used for an uninterrupted period of more than five years, it may be deemed to have become invalid. Invalidity means that the trademark right is cancelled and can no longer be asserted.

See: https://www.ige.ch/en/trademarks/after-registration.html
  • Reply 38 of 56
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    atlapple wrote: »

So you're saying it took Rolex over 20 years to finally produce a waterproof version. Hmm how long do you think it will take Apple? Be honest.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    tbelajonas wrote: »
    I don't think people buying Rolex's are running out to replace them with an I-Watch I know I'm not.

What's an I-Watch?
  • Reply 40 of 56
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

As a Swiss citizen I find it extremely interesting how a population that couldn't tell Switzerland apart from Swaziland and Sweden yesterday have become experts on anything Swiss over night, simply by the fact that some old trademark surfaced somewhere in a dusty folder. Kudos to you!

What population?

Swaziland, most people wouldn't know were that is, even the Swiss. Though, watching too many movies about Mandela have told me that its  an independent state that is an enclave inside South Africa.

- Most people know at least more cultural cliches (and even facts) about the Swiss (more than the Swedes)

- Banking, strong money and economy, neutrality, punctuality & watches, cleanliness chocolate & cheese, mountains, herders, Yodel, Olympics, diplomats, winter sports, own guns (been in the army), frugal, conservatives, women are blonde

- Speak sort of German, in the middle of Europe somewhere close to France and Germany