Apple to offer in-store launch day pickup option for Apple Watch preorders

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
After announcing online Apple Watch preorders would commence on April 10, Apple on Friday said it will allow buyers to pick up their reserved device at brick-and-mortar locations on April 24, launch day.

In an updated Online Apple Store section, Apple says customers will be able to pick up their Apple Watch orders in store as an alternative to home delivery. AppleInsider has confirmed the service applies to preorders and will be available on launch day.

Prior to Friday, it was unclear how exactly Apple intended to roll out its first wearable device. Even when Apple announced it would begin accepting Watch reservations starting on April 10, the company failed to detail order fulfillment choices, leaving some to speculate that in-store pickup would not be an option.

Unlike recent hardware releases, the company decided to make demo Watch units available at Apple Stores and Apple Watch shops two weeks before launch for personalized try-on sessions.

After sampling different models at participating brick-and-mortar stores on or after April 10, customers can place an order with sales floor staff, though launch day availability is not guaranteed. Those interested in being one of the first to own Apple Watch should consider preordering online prior to participating in a try-on session as orders can always be modified or canceled as long as they have not shipped.

As launch day approaches, Apple is ramping up advertising efforts across all forms of media, including print and television. On Friday, a new section called "Guided Tours" was posted to the Apple Watch webpage, offering virtual demonstrations of tentpole device features.

Apple Watch goes up for preorder on April 10 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific. The anticipated device will hit store shelves two weeks later on April 24.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This was how I bought my iPad mini retina. It wasn't launch day, but it was still the period where supply was so constrained you had to reserve a unit online before going in to the store to pick it up.

It wasn't a great experience because they didn't have a dedicated sales assistant dealing with all the people coming in to pick up their reserved units. So it ended up a small group of us there milling around waiting for sales assistants to become available, who were of course busy (as the Apple Store always is) and then it wasn't clear who was first, who was second etc.

They need to have a sign, e.g. "Watch reservations this way" and a lecturn where you line up, manned by a dedicated person.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    You just know Angela Ahrendts has a ton of experience with this sort of thing. Where is Ron Johnson when you need him?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    The try on thing is a pretty slick idea, really embracing the "personal-ness" of the watch for anyone that's on the fence about getting one.

Of course, if you're like me and pretty close to convinced, then the 14 day return window gives you plenty of time, too, especially if you just gotta have one on launch day.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Do you no longer provide links to the source anymore?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Yeah, I'm going to pre-order the minute it becomes available, then wait for it to arrive.  Assuming everything's cool (it fits, etc.) that will be easier.  I don't think I'll bother with going for in-store pick-up.  I really love the Apple Store, but it's all the way on the other side of town.  And I just don't really bother with leaving the house that much anymore, other than to go to the bar. :)

• Reply 6 of 15

What happens if you get to the store and find out that the band you ordered does not fit? Can you swap it with a different band in the store or will they make you get a reservation?

• Reply 7 of 15
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stanhope View Post

You just know Angela Ahrendts has a ton of experience with this sort of thing. Where is Ron Johnson when you need him?

he's been gone a very long time. apple will be fine.

• Reply 8 of 15
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

What happens if you get to the store and find out that the band you ordered does not fit? Can you swap it with a different band in the store or will they make you get a reservation?

if they have inventory they aren't going to tell you to shove off.

• Reply 9 of 15
    juanm105juanm105 Posts: 49member
    "What happens if you get to the store and find out that the band you ordered does not fit? Can you swap it with a different band in the store or will they make you get a reservation?"

If you are buying the Sport model, it comes with TWO bands, each of which are different lengths. For the 38mm watch one band is the S/M size (130-180mm) and the other is the M/L size (150-200mm). For the 42mm watch, the two sizes are 140-185 and 160-210mm.

The other watches only come with one band but but most of the bands have a much wider ranges than that of the sport model. Some have small ranges but there are different sizes to choose from.

Download the sizing guide at
    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/pdf/static/pdf/content/Watch-Sizing-Guide.pdf
  • Reply 10 of 15
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post

"What happens if you get to the store and find out that the band you ordered does not fit? Can you swap it with a different band in the store or will they make you get a reservation?"

If you are buying the Sport model, it comes with TWO bands, each of which are different lengths. For the 38mm watch one band is the S/M size (130-180mm) and the other is the M/L size (150-200mm). For the 42mm watch, the two sizes are 140-185 and 160-210mm.

The other watches only come with one band but but most of the bands have a much wider ranges than that of the sport model. Some have small ranges but there are different sizes to choose from.

Download the sizing guide at

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/regional/amr/pdf/static/pdf/content/Watch-Sizing-Guide.pdf

But you can still can get the Milanese Loop for the Sport, right?

• Reply 11 of 15
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    aaronj wrote: »

But you can still can get the Milanese Loop for the Sport, right?

If you purchase it separately, yes.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    ascii wrote: »
    They need to have a sign, e.g. "Watch reservations this way" and a lecturn where you line up, manned by a dedicated person.

Nope.,that's why when you reserve you also select a time. That is when you can pick it up. No just going and standing around. No lines outside and then you walk up to someone and say gimme. You don't have a reservation you don't get a watch. This is part of their attempt to shut off resellers buying a ton of units and shutting folks out
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ilovestuffilovestuff Posts: 143member

Never had a problem with FedEx dropping goodies at my door, but I have had an Apple Store make a mistake on a pickup item. 

• Reply 14 of 15
    ilovestuffilovestuff Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stanhope View Post

He's over at Nasty Gal.

• Reply 15 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Nope.,that's why when you reserve you also select a time. That is when you can pick it up. No just going and standing around. No lines outside and then you walk up to someone and say gimme. You don't have a reservation you don't get a watch. This is part of their attempt to shut off resellers buying a ton of units and shutting folks out
    Please provide a link to this policy. My understanding is that anyone can walk in off the street on 4/24 and buy a watch if it's in inventory, no reservation required. Just like every other product launch.