Fox Business News apologizes after commentator calls Apple CEO Tim Cook a 'bigot'

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 276
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't mean to be contentious, but what do you think this whole thread is about!?

Not a contentious observation either, here is the title of the article: Fox Business News apologizes after commentator calls Apple CEO Tim Cook a 'bigot'

I'm not the guy to interpret laws. All my comments are based on interpretations I have read about, or have been posed to me as hypothetical situations. My opinions express how I feel any laws should work. I make no warrantee, express or implied, of the legal underpinning of any of my opinions ;)

• Reply 262 of 276
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Let's wait and see as these people get older.

BBC fired Jeremy Clarkson and killed TopGear, they're dead to me now.

Maybe he shouldn't have punched someone at work.

It's common sense, in almost any job it's immediate dismissal.

• Reply 263 of 276
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Let's wait and see as these people get older.

He doesn't have the right to punch his work colleagues in the face. The BBC made the right call. They sacrificed £60million a year to do the moral thing.

Surprised you don't support that. Actually no; I'm not surprised at all.
  • Reply 264 of 276
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Also, they didn't fire him (they didn't renew his contract, not the same thing), and they haven't made any announcement about the future of Top Gear.

Plus, Clarkson is an ass, always has been an ass, and should've been removed from TV years ago.

• Reply 265 of 276

Using religion as an excuse to purposefully harm someone else is totally different from exercising your religious belief to *not* to participate in an activity.  If you are of Belief A and I am Belief B and you don't want to participate in my religious ceremony due to your beliefs, I respect that. 

And Tim Cook, as a stock holder and employee of the company, you do not and and cannot speak for all of us, period.  We did not hire you to make broad political or social statements acting as a representative for all of us.  Please go back to the job of managing the company.

• Reply 266 of 276
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary Deezy View Post

Using religion as an excuse to purposefully harm someone else is totally different from exercising your religious belief to *not* to participate in an activity.  If you are of Belief A and I am Belief B and you don't want to participate in my religious ceremony due to your beliefs, I respect that. 

And Tim Cook, as a stock holder and employee of the company, you do not and and cannot speak for all of us, period.  We did not hire you to make broad political or social statements acting as a representative for all of us.  Please go back to the job of managing the company.

Great so when you're in an emergency situation and the closest doctor is Scientologist (yes the USA recognizes them as a legit religion) refuses to work on you because your are not "clear" its totally fine for them to watch you die. AWESOME! Really want to live in this world!
  • Reply 267 of 276
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    peteo wrote: »

Great so when you're in an emergency situation and the closest doctor is Scientologist (yes the USA recognizes them as a legit religion) refuses to work on you because your are not "clear" its totally fine for them to watch you die. AWESOME! Really want to live in this world!
    We actually don't have to look very far back in history to see this in action -- African Ameicans were routnely turned away from white hospitals pre Civil Rights legislation, sent to their own "Colored" hospitals, even if doing so delayed medical attention for an urgent trauma, often resulting in death.
  • Reply 268 of 276
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    shen wrote: »
    There was a quote about something like this once.  What was it?

And for the record, we won't look back on this in 20 years like we look at race. Most of us already look at it that way. Now. This won't be 20 years away, but a year to 3.

The free person asks, who cares what society or government says... It's none of their business!
  • Reply 269 of 276
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    Florina just lost her bid for president with those remarks. He sells products in indiana and Arkansas too. But that doesn't mean he likes the politics that is going on there like the rest of the world. I'm sure if he had some measure of power he would also put his two cents in for the rest of the world like Iran and Saudi Arabia. And just because he is CEO of a company doesn't mean he can't express his views. Maybe he actually cares unlike Florina who seems to be the typical worthless republican who is still in the stone ages. And I think he is already speaking out for China and the middle east since he is publicly doing that now. And you know anything that effects the stores in those countries he will definitely say something.
  • Reply 270 of 276
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    b9bot wrote: »
    Florina just lost her bid for president with those remarks. He sells products in indiana and Arkansas too. But that doesn't mean he likes the politics that is going on there like the rest of the world. I'm sure if he had some measure of power he would also put his two cents in for the rest of the world like Iran and Saudi Arabia. And just because he is CEO of a company doesn't mean he can't express his views. Maybe he actually cares unlike Florina who seems to be the typical worthless republican who is still in the stone ages. And I think he is already speaking out for China and the middle east since he is publicly doing that now. And you know anything that effects the stores in those countries he will definitely say something.

On the other hand, I think if she wants to run for president she absolutely should. Anyone who wants to run should do so.
  • Reply 271 of 276

McGuirk: "He sells products to Saudi Arabia where they execute people if they're gay."

The rational and more intelligent view is that Apple sells high technology products to enlightened people in all parts of the world, allowing them to be more informed citizens of the world and providing them with authoring and communication tools with which they can improve the attitudes of their local culture.

The level of moronity to which many radio talk show hosts and alleged television news shows gravitate is exactly why people are instead heading to more informative and balanced Internet-based information sources.

• Reply 272 of 276

Oh frabjous day!
  • Reply 273 of 276
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    The same could be said about liberal media outlets such as MSNBC. I like to watch national/world news without the liberal bias other outlets have such as CNN. Obviously Fox News caters to the right with their talk shows, but I like watching Shepard Smith. Just basic news without the political bias. 

You are living on some strange planet if you think anyone is providing news on mainstream TV without political bias. You need to do some media studies.
  • Reply 274 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm starting to agree with people here saying Tim should have kept quiet about this. Perhaps it would have been wiser to donate some of is billion dollar net worth to others to take the fight to Indiana and elsewhere. He's going to give away the money anyway. Then he could distance himself one level and just tweet a thumbs up. None of these otherwise rational posters here would have nervous breakdowns and pollute these threads with their their religious zealotry and anger. We AI readers would be spared all the hate since Tim would be seen as just a minor player in the world of politics yet his cause would be advanced by his donations.

I personally have nothing against him speaking out, but these threads are a disaster.

Pretty much all of us aren't in a position to judge what is "wiser" because each of us has a subjective individual take on why or why not our suggestion would be wiser. (Note I said individual, not necessarily thoughtful, logical or reasonable. Ahem, flamers and trolls.) We are not Tim Cook, the person or Tim Cook, captain of industry. None of us has the perspective that he has, personally or through his myriad connections, personal and corporate. The suggestion that he should just lob some of his fortune at a target, plug his ears and hope the damage from the resulting explosion makes things happen the way he wants them to is doesn't show much attention to considering probable outcomes versus desirable outcomes. The man is seriously smart and his measured, respectful approach makes critics look like thoughtless, childish bullies. He shows amazing restraint as a spokesperson and influencer, yet still manages to have his say with perspicuity. And that approach will probably win more allies and convince more on the other side of this debate to switch sides than financial brute force will.

• Reply 275 of 276
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    muppetry wrote: »

Plus - even if they were, it would only be (arguably) inconsistent if Apple were refusing to do business in Indiana. It would only be hypocritical if Tim Cook were, himself, discriminating against gays. The actual meaning of "hypocrisy" appears to have been lost in the excitement of the religious outrage.

Finally somebody gets it. Thank you!
  • Reply 276 of 276

World leaders in equality? Apparently, we're also the leaders in the "hypocritical" thing, too.