Samsung fighting off its own 'bendgate' controversy, says Galaxy S6 not bendable in normal daily use

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Your point is clear, well argumented, and I subscribe to most of it. However, considering the fact that referring to the very widespread signal issues I and everyone I know who bought the original iPhone 4 experienced as a "meme" was, and still is, a way for some people to outright deny those issues as "trolling" (as per the comment you made, even...), I believe that my own response is also correct.

I believe there is more than one correct way to see things. I hope you will give me the leeway to keep this opinion ;)

Of course!
    I'm not here to tell you what to do or think. I'm only expressing my opinions about what you said.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    jbdragon wrote: »
    The whole 9 thing is just beyond dumb. It was 9 phones a couple weeks after launch, not 9 iPhone's to the end of days. How many after that first 9 Apple has never said. Then again it was never a big issue anyway except to fandroids. Now the so is in the other foot. Samsung joined the fandroids crowd last year, it's pay back time!!!

It underscores the fact that any bending problems experienced is a matter between the affected customers and Apple. The folks who turned this into "Bendgate" weren't part of that customer-Apple relationship. They were outside social media commenters and bloggers who delight in stirring shit up against Apple using those staged bending videos.

It's also the reason Samsung will never face a "Bendgate" over the S6 Edge. Trolls love their Android iPhone knock offs.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Hilarious because Samsung's on the receiving end (to a much lesser extent—the media will show nowhere near the same interest in this story) of what they dished out earlier when bendgate was hyped up for Apple, but it's no more a story than it was for Apple last year. Interesting to see some people a little quick to make the same generalizations they were likely frustrated with previously applied to the iPhone 6. Same would apply to Samsung fans who reveled in the iPhone 6's 'problem' but are now somehow personally offended.

Actually, that's not the case for most. In my case, I don't believe there is an issue with the Samsung phone at all. What I revel is in seeing Samsung and its cohort of fans who went totally bezerk against the Apple phone last year (millions of pages of comments on the internet) being shown as double-faced hypocrites. That's what I enjoy. That's my enjoyment; seeing their changed reaction. Fun.

• Reply 44 of 53
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    desuserign wrote: »
    I'm assuming you were not a physics major . . . 
    [The phone deflects (bends) the most at the lowest pressure. At some point, the rate of deflection decreases greatly and the tinniest bit of movement from the ram requires a comparatively large change in force. Because of this, and to detect irreversible strain (permanent bending,) the ram speed is slowed way down as the test progresses and it's movement is controlled very carefully so accurate force measurements can be made.]
    (And no, I was not a physics major.)

yes that is true, but device like that can be run at a constant rate and stop near the point you want it to as well, also you can run a constant rate to it break the change in resistance is use to determine the break point pressure. No i am not a physicist, but an engineer who use to do this kind of testing and can recognize what they are doing and why.

They did it to pass the test demonstrate it was meeting a design spec. I not saying the SquareTrade test is valid either.

I did also notice that Samsung did change their test from what they showed last fall. Last fall they did not mount the phone in the fixture at the end, it was about 1/2 to 1 inch from the end, reducing the bend radius. This test they had it mounted near the ends of the phone. It like trying to break a stick which is 6 inch long but putting the two fulcrums 4 inch apart, the stick is break a high force at 4 in distance verses 6 inch, notice longer thing break each than short.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken Burns Effect View Post

But will the S6 blend as smooth as the iPhone 6 Plus and Galaxy Note 3?

Pressing the Newton-Button vs Who's Copying Who-Buttton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBUJcD6Ws6s

Tom Dickson leaves me with a big smile, every time...

That makes things perfectly clear:

the good guys produce white particulate debris,

and the bad guys produce black particulate debris.

Was there ever any doubt?

• Reply 46 of 53
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    yes that is true, but device like that can be run at a constant rate and stop near the point you want it to as well, also you can run a constant rate to it break the change in resistance is use to determine the break point pressure. No i am not a physicist, but an engineer who use to do this kind of testing and can recognize what they are doing and why.

They did it to pass the test demonstrate it was meeting a design spec. I not saying the SquareTrade test is valid either.

I did also notice that Samsung did change their test from what they showed last fall. Last fall they did not mount the phone in the fixture at the end, it was about 1/2 to 1 inch from the end, reducing the bend radius. This test they had it mounted near the ends of the phone. It like trying to break a stick which is 6 inch long but putting the two fulcrums 4 inch apart, the stick is break a high force at 4 in distance verses 6 inch, notice longer thing break each than short.

Well, I'd say your engineering degree counts nearly as much as having "majored in physics."

I still don't agree with you though, in that I see no great value in running the test at a more rapid constant rate of increase in force. Nothing is really happening in the early elastic deformation stages of the test so going quickly there is fine. Clearly the test is seeking a maximum non-dynamic load for failure and slowing the rate of deflection near the end optimizes for this.
    As to the distance between the support points, as you say, that is definitely an issue that effects the outcome very significantly. But I'm not aware of any agreed upon external standard for such a test. There would be value in testing both standard distances between the support points and distances based on a percentage of the overall product dimensions. I would assume the test is for internal consumption and satisfaction and that arrangement of the support and load points are standard and consistent to those internal needs. In essence, the test is meant to be consistent and reproducible, but only within the chosen test parameters (whatever they are.)
  • Reply 47 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It underscores the fact that any bending problems experienced is a matter between the affected customers and Apple. The folks who turned this into "Bendgate" weren't part of that customer-Apple relationship. They were outside social media commenters and bloggers who delight in stirring shit up against Apple using those staged bending videos.

It's also the reason Samsung will never face a "Bendgate" over the S6 Edge. Trolls love their Android iPhone knock offs.

Yep. And Apple clearly stated that they got 9 official complaints from customers within XXX time after the launch (I think it was 2 weeks). Of course, liars and trolls jumped on this in order to pretend that Apple is somehow being deceptive, or that they claimed only 9 people in the world bent their phones, and will ever bend their phones, to the end of time. Hence of "one of the 9" horse-shit website that cropped up. 

• Reply 48 of 53
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

The curved sides of the Edge, will nevertheless result in the front glass being more rigid and consequently having less flex and therefore being more prone to cracking when stressed. In the case of a corrugated iron roof or corrugated cardboard, you want the thin board to be more rigid so a transverse curve is introduced, but with a phone screen you want it to flex, like the stem of a plant. 

• Reply 49 of 53
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

I'm not supporting Samsung in any way, shape, or form here; but that test was pure bullshit.

Just because you have a test apparatus doesn't mean you are automatically performing a legitimate and accurate test with it.

And he is not.

• Reply 50 of 53
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

I picked up a Galaxy S6 and it basically folded over in my hand.

Is that 'normal daily use?'

• Reply 51 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I actually think bendgate benefits Samsung. It tells the world, the new Sammy6 is just like the iPhone.

Nothing like it at all.

See, two rows of holes.

• Reply 52 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

The curved sides of the Edge, will nevertheless result in the front glass being more rigid and consequently having less flex and therefore being more prone to cracking when stressed. In the case of a corrugated iron roof or corrugated cardboard, you want the thin board to be more rigid so a transverse curve is introduced, but with a phone screen you want it to flex, like the stem of a plant. 

So how much will it cost to fix such a fragile screen on such an expensive phone?

3, 4, 500 dollars???