HBO Now streaming subscription channel launches on Apple TV, iOS App Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2015
HBO's cable-free subscription service, HBO Now, launched with a free trial on the Tuesday with a new dedicated Apple TV channel and an app on the iOS App Store , ahead of this Sunday's hotly anticipated premiere of "Game of Thrones."

The new HBO Now channel will automatically appear on second- and third-generation Apple TV hardware. The universal iOS application is a free download on the App Store

After the free window expires, HBO Now will run customers $14.99 per month. That's comparable with what traditional HBO customers pay through cable providers.

HBO Now is a major addition for cord cutters looking to ditch traditional cable subscription services. Requiring juts an Internet connection, HBO Now allows users to watch HBO on-demand content from anywhere.

At launch, HBO Now will be exclusive to Apple hardware, including the Apple TV and iOS devices. The partnership was announced last month at Apple's "Spring Forward" event.

Through the exclusive window, HBO Now will be free for subscribers for the month of April. The service uses streaming technology from MLB Advanced Media, which also powers the existing MLB app on the Apple TV.

Subscriptions to HBO Now include all acclaimed original programming from the network's past, present and future. Though it doesn't include a traditional linear channel to stream, content is available to watch on-demand the moment it begins airing on the standard cable HBO network.

The launch is timed to coincide with this Sunday's premiere of the fifth season of "Game of Thrones," HBO's most popular original program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Sweet.

Need to try it out on my A4 ( :( ) based Apple TV tonight and sign up for the free trial.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Did this replace HBO GO? Can you still use this app with your normal HBO log in?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    j1h15233 wrote: »
    Did this replace HBO GO? Can you still use this app with your normal HBO log in?

No. I do however wonder if a subscriber to HBO Now can use their sign on info to get on HBO Go on another platform.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No. I do however wonder if a subscriber to HBO Now can use their sign on info to get on HBO Go on another platform.

No, HBO Go is part of a cable subscription. Device access is limited to registered devices. HBO Now has the same content at the same time, but it's a standalone service you can use on any device capable of logging in. Comparison here:

http://help.hbonow.com/app/answers/detailHBO/a_id/125/session/L3RpbWUvMTQyODQyMTU3Ni9zaWQvMk44UFlnam0%3D

• Reply 5 of 32

HBO Go works like many other network video apps: You need to sign in with your cable or satellite system credentials. 

• Reply 6 of 32
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Does anyone know if this can be viewed in the UK with a US iTunes account? Is it paid via iTunes or credit card?
  • Reply 7 of 32
    sflagel wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this can be viewed in the UK with a US iTunes account? Is it paid via iTunes or credit card?

You might need to do it via a VPN.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Off to a roaring stop. I signed up for the free trial but cannot create the password to finish the registration despite getting multiple welcome emails.

John
  • Reply 9 of 32
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

General Question and maybe FYI: I assume that if you subscribe to a bundled service that includes other premium content you're kinda screwed here.  I for example have HBO and Showtime bundled, and can't 'unbundle' them through my provider.  I assume you would lose access then in that case?  That's assuming you drop the cable subscription and pick up just HBO Now...

• Reply 10 of 32
    I'm sure HBO will be happy to sell you their streaming service despite your bundle...but you may or may not be able to use the two in the same device(s).

The solution may be to dump the bundle & get Showtime stand-alone...
  • Reply 11 of 32
    I'm sure HBO will be happy to sell you their streaming service despite your bundle...but you may or may not be able to use the two in the same device(s).

The solution may be to dump the bundle & get Showtime stand-alone...

Speaking of which, why isn't there a Max Go app for streaming devices?
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Looking forward to this.
    Cord cutters rejoice.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

This is awesome. First 3 Episodes free of Game of Thrones to hook in everyone. I like HBO's style.

• Reply 14 of 32
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

You would need to use a VPN. 

• Reply 15 of 32
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

You would need to use a VPN. 

Too bad. It seems iTunes and Netflix can be used with a US iTunes account, even if watching it on an Apple TV in the UK. We use it when my brother comes over from the US.

• Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

This is awesome. First 3 Episodes free of Game of Thrones to hook in everyone. I like HBO's style.

Looking at the air dates on thetvdb.com, it would appear you'd get more episodes than that if they start the 30 day timer when you sign up. Could one wait until the end of April and sign up and get 30 days from that point?

1    The Wars to Come    2015-04-12     

2    The House of Black and White    2015-04-19     

3    High Sparrow    2015-04-26     

4    The Sons of the Harpy    2015-05-03     

5    Kill the Boy    2015-05-10     

6    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken    2015-05-17     

7    The Gift    2015-05-24

I haven't found a list beyond episode 7, but there are to be 10 episodes and I would assume they would continue at the rate of one per week, which would give us the following dates for the remaining three episodes:

8     2015-05-31

9     2015-06-07

10   2015-06-14
  • Reply 17 of 32
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Looking at the air dates on thetvdb.com, it would appear you'd get more episodes than that if they start the 30 day timer when you sign up. Could one wait until the end of April and sign up and get 30 days from that point?

1    The Wars to Come    2015-04-12     

2    The House of Black and White    2015-04-19     

3    High Sparrow    2015-04-26     

4    The Sons of the Harpy    2015-05-03     

5    Kill the Boy    2015-05-10     

6    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken    2015-05-17     

7    The Gift    2015-05-24

I haven't found a list beyond episode 7, but there are to be 10 episodes and I would assume they would continue at the rate of one per week, which would give us the following dates for the remaining three episodes:

8     2015-05-31

9     2015-06-07

10   2015-06-14

Apparently only the month of April its free...so no. Only 3 free episodes.

• Reply 18 of 32
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member
    Can you have two people logged in at the same time, like Netflix can do? Is there any option for that?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Apparently only the month of April its free...so no. Only 3 free episodes.

Where did you see that posted specifically? In that case, all their "30 days free" blurb is not correct. It was released today, even if you're able to sign up today, you wouldn't get 30 days by the end of April.

• Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Can you have two people logged in at the same time, like Netflix can do? Is there any option for that?

According to their FAQ/troubleshooting, they allow up to three simultaneous streams from one household/account.