Angela Ahrendts tells retail employees to push customers online for Apple Watch, 12" MacBook launche

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    eightzero wrote: »
    Angie Fail.

I am trying to be generous by assuming the article contains only a snippet of the complete email. But it is email like this from very senior management that sort of drive me crazy. AAPL pays her how many 10s of millions to write this? Angie, the watch is a new product that requires (dare I say it?) a "personal" approach. Your boss uses this word over and over every time he talks about it. Why aren't you using this touchphrase? "Come see the watch in person! Try it on and marvel at it's uniqueness and personal expression of your taste, style...and tech savvy!" Then you can order right online, right from our store, for pickup on launch day or delivery to your door." Apple store employees should be concierges, not shills to an online store that everyone (everyone) who will even be remotely interested in buying a watch knows about.

This whole memo is a solid C+ in any marketing class. And Angie makes how much? This would be a moment for her to shine, show her value. Fail, Fail, Fail.

I'll bet even Ben Frost could do as well.

Stop with the "Angie" crap. It's plain sexism.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

No, they actually screwed this up because the try-out sessions begin the same day as the actual sales. This means that anyone who schedules a try-out session runs the risk that the store will not have their preferred model/size at the time, and by then even an online order will be delayed or backordered.

They should have planned for in-store displays at least a week prior to actual sales.

This is actually a reasonable proposition. Only customers who come into an Apple Store with a reservation are allowed to reserve online. But that's thwarted with problems too, because you know there are going to be thousands of people who will make appointments merely to look at the watch with no intention of buying, especially the Edition. So if Apple limited the initial pre-orders to just customers who come into the stores to see the watch, they might find a very limited number of customers doing that. Still, they could have put the watch in the stores last Friday, and given a week of previews before general online pre-orders began this week, even if all it did was get more publicity. 

As it is, there's really nothing to prevent scalpers and the like from buying up watches online and re-selling them on the sidewalk outside of the Apple Store on the 24th. They just got rid of the lines. I don't really see customers benefiting from being able to order online without first having the opportunity to see the watch. For those planning to get the Sport watch, or a stainless with the Sport band,  then it's a pretty simple buy for most, assuming they can accurately choose which size to order.

• Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The 'crazy ones' (and I say that with affection) that line up, do it for the fun and possible media coverage I suspect. Doing anything to try to change this is messing with tradition. That's never a good idea. As others have said, just try to find away to have more inventory show up where there are long lines.

Exactly.  Is she saying that Apple does *not* want all the free marketing that comes from every local news station in the country doing stories about the lines around their local Apple store?

• Reply 44 of 59
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sierrajeff wrote: »
    Exactly.  Is she saying that Apple does *not* want all the free marketing that comes from every local news station in the country doing stories about the lines around their local Apple store?

The only lines these days are around iPhone launches and as far as I know this memo doesn't apply to iPhone.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    sierrajeff wrote: »

Another possibility: lines for the Watch will lead to some very bad press. Say each sale takes three times longer than an iPhone sale. The long line seems to move agonizingly slowly. People start kvetching on camera. The story becomes "Apple blows the watch intro, retail division in trouble."

Or say the news crews interview the standees and ask why they want a watch, and they get nothing but fluff-headed answers, because none of us really knows what it's about.

Stuff like that. They're probably just thinking ahead in ways you would not think of from your vantage point at the keyboard.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Nope.

Only highly successful international fashion and retail corporation CEO's can give an opinion of any value on the work of Angela.

But anyone else can say what they want.

That's utter elitist bollocks.

They can chat about whatever they want, but any opinion about any value of VP Retail's work will be given by the customers. She's holding the position for one year, having enormous creative potential in the company and in one year she faced customers with changing position of logo on the T-shirt of the same colour.

London Apple stores, for example, haven't changed a bit. There isn't one little innovation there. We still type in our data into stone aged POS terminals to get an invoice by email and we can't test earphones before we buy, yet returns cost a fortune. Apple or whoever. Linking Apple ID and retail with aspect of Touch ID should be the first thing that would have to be done in Apple stores. Right VP of Retail, with technology background, would understand that.

I'm pretty much clear there are reasons for hiring her. But her work and results are leading me to believe it is more because of a personal Tim's preferences rather than real abilities and fit. Burberry shares quality and limited, highly focused branding with Apple. But there is a huge difference: Apple's biggest value, or at least one of the biggest is innovation, whereas Burberry's is tradition. It's just not match.

Apple has traditional issues in Retail leadership. Whether this is because it is not engineering position or something else, I don't know. But not if someone wants to idealise Angela just because she was like high profile catch and well advertised as new VP.

• Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Another possibility: lines for the Watch will lead to some very bad press. Say each sale takes three times longer than an iPhone sale. The long line seems to move agonizingly slowly. People start kvetching on camera. The story becomes "Apple blows the watch intro, retail division in trouble."

Or say the news crews interview the standees and ask why they want a watch, and they get nothing but fluff-headed answers, because none of us really knows what it's about.

Stuff like that. They're probably just thinking ahead in ways you would not think of from your vantage point at the keyboard.

All this stories are here for years. They haven't hurt Apple a bit. Quite contrary! :)  Even if this would have any substance of whatsoever, Angela has much more to fix in the stores, especially concerning user experience she is like addressing here...  

• Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

"I consider her as a weak part of Apple's VP chain . . ." —yeah, being a ten-year customer of Apple stores gives you automatic keen insight into the top tier of Apple management. That's all you need to tell us.

I've been a retail customer since the first store opened in Glendale, and I think she's the one to take the stores into the real global phase, which is happening now. It's very possible that this particular move is directed squarely at scalpers. You left that out as a strategic possibility, brother customer.

Customer couldn't care less about any insight in top tier management of any company. Customer faces retail. Online and brick&mortar. Stores in London where I'm buying are swamped with problems and no one is solving them. Meaning, she is bringing these problems on a global scale. Scalpers? Yes, sure, but you don't fight fire by making matches illegal...

• Reply 49 of 59
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

London Apple stores, for example, haven't changed a bit. There isn't one little innovation there. We still type in our data into stone aged POS terminals to get an invoice by email and we can't test earphones before we buy, yet returns cost a fortune. Apple or whoever. Linking Apple ID and retail with aspect of Touch ID should be the first thing that would have to be done in Apple stores. 

Is there any store that lets you test earbuds? Besides the perfectly understandable hygiene issues, the noisy environment of an Apple Store would hardly be the ideal place to test earbuds, although headphones are not quite as impractical, it is still not ideal. I always study online reading reputable reviews before I purchase that type of gear.

I have never been to the Apple Store in London, however in California we just open up the Store app and pay using ?Pay. Then walk out with your item without talking to anyone. Obviously you will need assistance with large items such as Macs, but anything hanging on the wall or shelves is available.

• Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is there any store that lets you test earbuds? Besides the perfectly understandable hygiene issues, the noisy environment of an Apple Store would hardly be the ideal place to test earbuds, although headphones are not quite as impractical, it is still not ideal. I always study online reading reputable reviews before I purchase that type of gear.

I have never been to the Apple Store in London, however in California we just open up the Store app and pay using ?Pay. Then walk out with your item without talking to anyone. Obviously you will need assistance with large items such as Macs, but anything hanging on the wall or shelves is available.

If there is a store in the world that has to let you test earbuds, this should be Apple store. I don't know, if you've heard, you obviously haven't, but they are supposed to prepare this finally. Getting a pair of hygienic caps to test 150 GBP earbuds is at least what would customer expect in the store that should lead the example of electronic retail.

I'm not talking about payment here, but getting my Invoice by email from Apple store. As far as I understand the nature of anonymous payment with Apple Pay, you shouldn't get an Invoice automatically. Or perhaps you do in US?

• Reply 51 of 59
    The 'crazy ones' (and I say that with affection) that line up, do it for the fun and possible media coverage I suspect. Doing anything to try to change this is messing with tradition. That's never a good idea. As others have said, just try to find away to have more inventory show up where there are long lines.

Agreed just show up with a giant semi with rows of touch screen ordering interfaces down each side that drops the product like a vending machine and you'll get publicity.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    therfmantherfman Posts: 52member
    But what about the MacBooks? I don't care too much for the watch right now, but I'd like to pickup a MacBook Friday. There is no information available.

There are no pre-orders, so nobody knows how long it will take to get one after ordering online. There is also no indication of whether the MacBook will even be available in stores Friday. A bit more information would be very welcome...
  • Reply 53 of 59
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Crickets chirping?

if youre not a troll saying things for whatever value trolls get out of saying them, how about you wager to ban yourself should your supposed expectation be mistaken?

• Reply 54 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

what suggests that apple needs that free publicity? vs the opportunity cost incurred from those masses?

• Reply 55 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poksi View Post

I'm pretty much clear there are reasons for hiring her. But her work and results are leading me to believe it is more because of a personal Tim's preferences rather than real abilities and fit. Burberry shares quality and limited, highly focused branding with Apple. But there is a huge difference: Apple's biggest value, or at least one of the biggest is innovation, whereas Burberry's is tradition. It's just not match.

Apple has traditional issues in Retail leadership. Whether this is because it is not engineering position or something else, I don't know. But not if someone wants to idealise Angela, just because she was like high profile catch and well advertised as new VP.

what on earth are you talking about? What data could you possibly possess that would give you an enlightened idea of her "real abilities" and fit? do you know her personally or something? did you work together on some other projects? are you eavesdropping on the executive staff meetings?

if not, you have no idea what youre talking about.

• Reply 56 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

what on earth are you talking about? What data could you possibly possess that would give you an enlightened idea of her "real abilities" and fit? do you know her personally or something? did you work together on some other projects? are you eavesdropping on the executive staff meetings?

if not, you have no idea what youre talking about.

I don't talk much and especially not many times. But when I do, I operate with facts and put argument behind my claim, because this is base of any discussion in a real dialectic fashion. If you don't have any argument, then just write simple: "I don't agree". Challenging me personally, instead of my arguments above is childish and makes you ridicule yourself. 

Or if you believe it's OK that VP of Retail in one year changes nothing in b&m flagship stores, then write so, but don't spill any rubbish about some executive staff meetings, working on god know what kind of super duper projects in a patronising way, because let's be honest, you know absolutely nothing about them either. And why should you, anyway?  VP, any kind of, sells herself/himself to the Board during hiring process. After that the customer is in the store...

• Reply 57 of 59
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    Thanks, Angela, you made my day, Luv.

Sincerely,

Another Satisfied Customer

/s
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

what suggests that apple needs that free publicity? vs the opportunity cost incurred from those masses?

...and of course you elaborated already how fine and even better Apple is without articles on first page of mass media with photos of queues, of course, you are on top of figures calculating profitability of each customer by the segment, online, b&m, queueing in Covent Garden, etc...

• Reply 59 of 59
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    As I've said before I think the lining up outside Apple stores is kind of passé now. I think it died after the first iPad launch, certainly after Steve died. These days the only thing people line up for are iPhones. Maybe Apple will keep the tradition for that but for the rest I think it's much ado about nothing as people weren't lining up anyway. And witth the Watch there's no possible way Apple could know exactly what combinations and how much of each to have at stores on launch day. Maybe after a month or two once they have solid data on which models/combinations/bands are most popular they can start stocking the stores more and somone can just walk in and get one.