Samsung expects Q1 profits to drop 30%, but declines are slowing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

We were discussing bigger iPhones. Before 2010 the average touch screen smartphone was 3.5"-3.7". Please pay attention.

Quote:

We were discussing bigger iPhones. Before 2010 the average touch screen smartphone was 3.5"-3.7". Please pay attention.

Mr. Attention, AFTER 2007 and BEFORE 2010 those smartphones were BIG enough for MOST if not ALL.

Apparently, as MOST are getting OLDER and require BIGGER screen now need BIGGER phones.

• Reply 42 of 66
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    The New York Times ran a story on Feb 9th that an investment firm reported that Apple garnered 93% of the handset industry profits.

So just how long can Samsung keep up this unprofitable trend of selling the most handsets for less profit?

Looks like this spells doom to me.

But then again, I am no business analyst.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    That's why millions of people bought Samsung phones instead of iPhones before the 6 was released.

Apple-hate, cheap, BOGO.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    5 years actually, 2010 was the first year bigger phones were introduced.

I doubt people were clamoring for bigger phones on day 1.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    disturbia wrote: »
    Me: Why did you buy samsung?

She: It was soooooo cheap plus it came with a free charger, some fries and gravy too!

Yep, she was one of millions who don't any better.

You need to stop chatting with the bag ladies begging for change.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    jungmark wrote: »
    Apple-hate, cheap, BOGO.
    I doubt people were clamoring for bigger phones on day 1.

Bigger screen.

Nobody said from Day 1
  • Reply 46 of 66
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Motorola is creating some pretty compelling smartphones and with truly useful and innovative features rather than fluff, otherwise staying pretty true to stock Android. They may yet surprise.

More iPhoneys. What a surprise....
  • Reply 47 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cali wrote: »
    More iPhoneys. What a surprise....
    Which Moto smartphones resemble anything Apple ever made? The answer of course is: None of them. :\
  • Reply 48 of 66
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Yeah, I'll call it a "turnaround" when profits actually, y'know, bottom out (ie stop declining).  And "beating" expectations derived from the company's own lowball projections doesn't impress me either, at least while the free-fall is continuing.

If the S6 doesn't sell big, Sammy is in real trouble.

• Reply 49 of 66
    Quote:

You need to stop chatting with the bag ladies begging for change.

Well .... agreed! When I see ladies with iPhone ... ANY iPhone .... it just makes me so ... so ... soooooooooooo .... PROUD!

On the same subject, I will stop reading / responding nonsense posts from the bag boys.

• Reply 50 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Which Moto smartphones resemble anything Apple ever made? The answer of course is: None of them. image

HA HA HAAAA!

You're funny!

• Reply 51 of 66
    Well .... agreed! When I see ladies with iPhone ... ANY iPhone .... it just makes me so ... so ... soooooooooooo .... PROUD!

On the same subject, I will stop reading / responding nonsense posts from the bag boys.

Then you have exceptionally low standards if you're proud of someone simply because of the phone they have.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    HA HA HAAAA!

You're funny!

He is AI's biggest troll. Use your block List.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    He is AI's biggest troll. Use your block List.
    Just can't give it up can you. *sigh*

But I agree that if a responding member is consistently unable to make a respectful reply and worse can't even come up with a supportable counter then using the block list sounds like the perfect solution for him/her. That way truly interested members and especially visitors don't have to read thru so many unhelpful and distracting posts to get to the meat, and the member who finds some posters so intolerable doesn't have to see stuff they don't like or respond with only insults. It's a win-win.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    bizzare wrote: »
    That's a funny headline "but declines are slowing".

Think of it this way:

"We are in freefall, but air resistance has increased to the point where we are no longer accelerating."

For some reason so analysts think that is almost a "turnaround."
  • Reply 55 of 66
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

In 2014 Q1 operating profit was down 3%.

Now 2015 Q1 operating profit is down 30%.

Yikes.

If the 6S does not take off Samdung will literally make HALF the profits they made 2 years ago.  Can you imagine what would happen if Apple's profits were cut in half?  In 2013 Apple's profits were down a mere 10% and the stock crashed 45%

6S will take off but will not fly that far before the Xiaomi copycat jumps in with MiEdge.

• Reply 56 of 66
    Yeah ... declines are slowing .... because ... well ... look at the BEST android phone available ... it's iPhone with f***ng Samsung name on it!

Love the qualification: best android phone.
    We know exactly how to take that.
  • Reply 57 of 66

While Samsung is declining slowly, or slowing decline, Apple is declining up, in a slow slide to success according to the Macalope!

• Reply 58 of 66
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Motorola is creating some pretty compelling smartphones and with truly useful and innovative features rather than fluff, otherwise staying pretty true to stock Android. They may yet surprise.

I have within recent years been all too happy to see Samsung confront the Hoards rather than Apple directly. What you state about Moto (nee Lenovo) may have elements of truth, but that's a long way from dethroning Samsung in the Android Universe, My opinion is that Moto has not yet learned design discipline; customization of cases is not a solution to an inherently uncompetitive product or marketing thereof.

I would note that Samsung is down for custom ARM in its Exynos Processor that will appear first in the S7 (per TheReg). This is a shot across the bow of Qualcomm, and an indication that Apple's business model is to be followed whenever possible. Samsung has that part down. Who will be next to follow?

• Reply 59 of 66
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    While Samsung is declining slowly, or slowing decline, Apple is declining up, in a slow slide to success according to the Macalope!

I think a safe summary is Apple is trending in one direction, and Samsung in another. And neither looks like they will change direction soon.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

It's the Upward Trajectory of Doom™