Apple launches unprecedented campaign across storefronts to hype iTunes debut of 'Star Wars'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Edition is fantastic.  I strongly suggest you track it down.

I just 'tracked it down.' It's beautiful. Thanks!

• Reply 42 of 65
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Oh I accept that many many many people hate the PT.

But when said people say the PT trilogy never existed and isn't cannon then I need to call them out.

Who the hell cares about canon?  People can choose not to acknowledge parts of Star Wars that they dislike, there's no rule against it.  

"Oh but it's canon!"

• Reply 43 of 65
    Quote:

Then they are living in a dream world detached from reality.

You do realise that Star Wars is fiction, created for entertainment right?

• Reply 44 of 65
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

You do realise that Star Wars is fiction, created for entertainment right?

No Star Wars is real. The movie series is a documentary.

• Reply 45 of 65
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    sog35 wrote: »
    until you realize you don't actually own the content.  Read the fine print.  You are given a license to view the material but you never own the actual content.

With a blu-ray version I own the content and can share it with anyone I please.  Plus it has superior video and true uncompressed audio.

Lossless, DTS-HDMA is still compressed
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:

This is the comment that started all this:

So who's the dilusional nerd?

Someone who thinks Lucas made 6 Starwars movies (Me) or someone who is living in a dream world where there is only 3 Starwars movies (Spam)

Do you actually think he is denying the existence of the films?  You don't think he might be taking an absurdist position in order to express his disdain for films he doesn't like?

I think you are delusional if you think people are, or should, be absolutely literal in expressing their opinions.

• Reply 47 of 65
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    If it isn't exclusive to Apple, who cares?

Giggle and MS have stole Apple's hard work and are running with it.

"Typically, content from Apple's different storefronts is segregated, meaning movie purchases must be made from the iTunes Store and not the App Store."

I've been waiting years for Apple to fix this.
    There's no need to have separate app icons for "app store" and iTunes. It's also weird on my Mac having to click iTunes to find movies and apps.

Keep the names but put them under a new umbrella. Call it "iStore" or something with ALL digital content under it.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    cali wrote: »
    If it isn't exclusive to Apple, who cares?

Giggle and MS have stole Apple's hard work and are running with it.

What hard work would that be?
  • Reply 49 of 65
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I would call the most recent 3 Star Wars "infamous" rather than "legendary"
  • Reply 50 of 65
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

May the Force Touch be with you.

• Reply 51 of 65
    I have possession of my disc.  I can make backups if I want ( I dont).

You you go by the letter of the law you also can't take a picture of a book on your iPhone.  Or make a photocopy of a newspaper article and pin it up on your mirror

Actually you can make photocopies under fair use,

My point still stands, and what you said was incorrect:
    1. You don't own the Blu-Ray content, just the physical media.
    2. The licensing terms for Blu-Ray content doesn't allow you any rights you seem to think owning the media gives you. All you are allowed to do is view the content in a private place.

I argue that iTunes purchased content is more flexible because I can transfer it to my Apple devices which are authorized by my iTunes account.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    joelsalt wrote: »
    I've already bought the entire series on VHS (originals only, as they were the only ones that existed) and Blu-Ray (which I regret).  Even though I'd prefer this digital version for utility, I really don't want to pay 3 times for the same movies (although, knowing Lucas he changed a bunch of stuff for the iTunes version)

You expressed a comment either for sympathy, as if anyone will care that you've invested so heavily, or you are really hoping you get a conversation started about how Lucas is a prick.

Rip'em and enjoy. If you want new footage you'll buy all digital.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    pjt2072pjt2072 Posts: 2member
    Sorry. I pass. Bought the cassettes. Bought the Japanese LaserDisc collection. Bought the DVDs ... twice. Bought the Blu Rays. Enough. I won't pay 150$C for the itunes versions. Sorry George, hope that you'll be able to celebrate Christmas without my contribution.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Lossless, DTS-HDMA is still compressed

DTS-HD Master Audio is lossless when played back through equipment that supports DTS-HD Master Audio.  The Digital Copies offered by iTunes and other vendors have heavy video compression and heavy Dolby Digital compression, both lossy formats.  Dolby TrueHD is the other lossless format on Blu-Ray Discs.  Video and sound is still far superior on Blu-Ray Disc than any digital copy.

• Reply 55 of 65
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

Only a fool would pay $20 per movie for a digital copy.  You can buy the re-issued Blu-Ray/DVD combo sets I-III and IV-VI for $40 each.  Of course the ideal DVD release was in 2006 with the original theatrical versions on the second DVD.  Although they were not anamorphic widescreen, ripping them with Handbrake gives you an anamorphic version through AppleTV.  Would have been nice if they were fully restored, but so far that is the best original version available of IV through VI.

• Reply 56 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm going to have to get my hands on the Harmy versions at some point. All the stills I've seen look impressive.
  • Reply 57 of 65

I'm surprised Sog hasn't said "if the PT exists, you ban yourself for a month, if not, I'll ban myself for a month".

OR

"SpamSandwich - Joined in May 2005. 20,193 Posts. Blocked!"

• Reply 58 of 65
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    hillstones wrote: »
    DTS-HD Master Audio is lossless when played back through equipment that supports DTS-HD Master Audio.  The Digital Copies offered by iTunes and other vendors have heavy video compression and heavy Dolby Digital compression, both lossy formats.  Dolby TrueHD is the other lossless format on Blu-Ray Discs.  Video and sound is still far superior on Blu-Ray Disc than any digital copy.

Compression does not mean lossy, DTS-HDMA, and TrueHD are both compressed, and lossless, and there is nothing wrong with compression. LPCM is uncompressed on a Blu-ray. The streaming video providers, and iTunes also provide lower bitrate videos/audio which reduce the overall size.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    qwrtyqwrty Posts: 6member
    " If the cloud is down you won't be able to watch it.  If license agreements change with studio's you might not even be able to watch it period.
    I hear your point about the superior audio. But regarding your possession and Internet arguments, you can always download a local copy of any movie purchased on iTunes. This way you have possession, offline viewing, and the convenience of cloud streaming and redownloading (should you need it). Not a bad way to go.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    mutoneonmutoneon Posts: 51member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

They need to sell a bundle in the "Machete Order", 4-5-2-3-6.  

I recently partook in this sequence, and my final feeling is that episode 2 is still better left unseen.