Apple releases OS X 10.10.3 update with new Photos app, iCloud Photo Library

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pfunk View Post

thats commitment (unless you made a backup).   Just got told by another on this forum that you can't view the converted Photo database in Aperture.  I'm not touching this thing...will be going to Lightroom. 

Photos just finished converting all my Aperture content, and it seems to be working just fine... I use Lightroom as well, but it's a different animal than Photos, so can't really compare the two.

• Reply 22 of 67
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Did Photos add the ability to manually geotag photos (as iPhoto did)?
  • Reply 23 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rotateleftbyte View Post

I might consider trying this IF you can totally disable any interaction with the Cloud.

I took close on 80GB (64Mb/shot) worth of Pictures last weekend. Do I want to blow my ISP quota uploading this lot?

No I don't and I don't think I am the only one who will have these sorts of concerns.

Sorry, I don't understand people like you. Do you HONESTLY believe that uploading photos to iCloud library is not optional? Why can't you do 10 seconds of research if you're considering doing something? Yes, your concern is invalid because its based on fiction. It is off by default and will remain off unless you enable it. 

• Reply 24 of 67
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rotateleftbyte View Post

I might consider trying this IF you can totally disable any interaction with the Cloud.

I took close on 80GB (64Mb/shot) worth of Pictures last weekend. Do I want to blow my ISP quota uploading this lot?

No I don't and I don't think I am the only one who will have these sorts of concerns.

Sorry, I don't understand people like you. Do you HONESTLY believe that uploading photos to iCloud library is not optional? Why can't you do 10 seconds of research if you're considering doing something? Yes, your concern is invalid because its based on fiction. It is off by default and will remain off unless you enable it. 

A little harsh don't you think? Give the guy a break. Some actually use these forums as research and it is a legitimate question. 

• Reply 25 of 67

The real question is does this update fix the typing lag in Mail? That has been bugging the sh1t out of me!

• Reply 26 of 67
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by houseley View Post

Being brave and pludging now...

Being brave has nothing to do with it. Try ignoring all the bull excrement from anonymous posters claiming all manner of nastiness with updates. Most of that nonsense is caused by poorly maintained systems, screwball extensions and plugins, weirdly configured preferences and third party workarounds for perceived UI issues.

Maintain your system, use Disk Utility before updating, have common sense and no bravery is required. Apple updates are almost always completely stable and trouble free these days.

• Reply 27 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techno View Post

The real question is does this update fix the typing lag in Mail? That has been bugging the sh1t out of me!

No because that’s you only. There is no such bug no matter how many Google hits you claim.

• Reply 28 of 67
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:

thats commitment (unless you made a backup).   Just got told by another on this forum that you can't view the converted Photo database in Aperture.  I'm not touching this thing...will be going to Lightroom. 

You don't have backup copies of your Aperture libraries? Seriously?

• Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:

Well thats good to hear! But still not useful to me given the size of my photo databases...

Still total crap for Apple to drop Aperture without a feature matched replacement. 

Aperture still works, right?

Previous comments by Apple about Photos were that it would, some time after launch, support third-party extensions. So I continue to use Aperture for work, and get to experiment with Photos as it develops. (I've got Lightroom, just don't like it enough to switch. Besides still being increasingly annoyed with Adobe's policies.)

• Reply 30 of 67
    pfunkpfunk Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steveH View Post

You don't have backup copies of your Aperture libraries? Seriously?

God I love internet forums.  Seriously.

• Reply 31 of 67

ok ...

in Photos ...

1. does it seriously not prompt you whether you want to import or ignore duplicate photos?  iPhoto's done that since the wee early versions.

2. is there no de-duping feature at all?

3. is there really no way to create a smart album containing only photos that have NOT been given a keyword?

or am I just missing this functionality?

• Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Aperture still works, right?

Previous comments by Apple about Photos were that it would, some time after launch, support third-party extensions. So I continue to use Aperture for work, and get to experiment with Photos as it develops. (I've got Lightroom, just don't like it enough to switch. Besides still being increasingly annoyed with Adobe's policies.)

Yes it does...but unless Apple commits to a path forward for Aperture users, I don't trust them either. I need software that is being maintained and staying current. Terrible handling of the situation.

I'm not an Adobe fan either, but at least they are showing a commitment to their users. Especially not a fan of subscription software (but perhaps that is the new direction for everyone). 

I'm glad you have the disk space and time to experiment.   The thought of maintaining a whole duplicate database (aside from my backup)....well....does not sound good or cheap. 

• Reply 33 of 67
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member

So far so good! 

• Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:

Yes it does...but unless Apple commits to a path forward for Aperture users, I don't trust them either. I need software that is being maintained and staying current. Terrible handling of the situation.

I'm not an Adobe fan either, but at least they are showing a commitment to their users. Especially not a fan of subscription software (but perhaps that is the new direction for everyone). 

I'm glad you have the disk space and time to experiment.   The thought of maintaining a whole duplicate database (aside from my backup)....well....does not sound good or cheap. 

Which is why I'm still using Aperture for work, and experimenting elsewhere. Multiple eggs, multiple baskets. (And I'm glad there are useful alternatives to Lightroom.) Yeah, about Adobe "showing a commitment to their users", well, let's just say once burnt twice shy. My relationship with the company over a couple of decades has been a mixed bag. Again, hooray for DxO, Capture 1, and other alternatives. Who knows, Photos could turn out to be a great tool, similarly to FCPX's growth between initial release and today.

Since I have multiple Aperture libraries, I can afford to pick one to experiment with. Even if I didn't, migrating a library to Photos leaves the original intact and still usable.

• Reply 35 of 67
    sualfonssualfons Posts: 13member
    Your iPhoto & Aperture Libraries will continue to exist. Photos will create a hard-link copy of the photos (the same time machine does so that identical files will look like they are there but only take up space once).

Been in the beta and MAN DO I HATE THE PHOTOS App! It discontinues about everything I liked in iPhoto.
    - No more events - go make an album of everything or find your stuff in a ever lasting scroll of pictures.

- No more assigning locations in photos - bye by travel-map style photoshow template. And guess what, OSX sucks at defining my Home adress, so my library is full of awkward location tagged photos... In Apple maps, the streets are not simply outdated, no they are in a layout they never have been in the entire history of our village, which is way longer than when Columbus hit the shores of America...

- Photo shows - the included new music but left out the old. And the templates changed (and are fewer). Our old photo shows only are transferred sort-of. Music is different and the standard template is applied if you used one of the discontinued ones (at least the travel-map and the mobilee style ones were missing from the second pre-release version, Origami came back from the missing in pre-release one, don't remember about one of the album/photo frame styles, IIRC one of them misses, too)

- I don't care for iCloud integration or easy sharing - the Mac is my only Apple device apart from an old iPod and nobody I would share a pic with runs an iDevice or Mac.

- Also, I do not like all that whiteness and transparency in OSX and Photos. In the same way there is too much of an interface in Aperture there are too few features for the eye to grasp the structure of your photo library.

- Don't think about having more than one photo library. It is the same as with iPhoto - Alt-Start the app to choose one library, no improvement on managing several of them (like it is possible in iMovie). A PITA for people using Aperture and splitting your libraries. On top, only one library can be THE library which is shared via iCloud (OK, that's understandable).

The direction in software design and hardware features leaves my comfort zone totally - I fear I cannot justify the next Mac as a family PC the next time around :-(
  • Reply 36 of 67

Thank you for your view on my question. I was merely asking the question about use of the Cloud.

If you could have pointed me at some documantation etc then I would have gone away quietly and read it.

I did try to find some official statement about this but due to the unreleased nature (until today) of the update this was a bit thin on the ground.

I only have one Macbook so I wasn't inclined to install the beta release.

• Reply 37 of 67

Yeah, it is what it is.  I'm going to kick the tires on Lightroom which I have never tried (and since it supports the Nik plugins I use all the time), but I hope other options emerge and compete against these too.  

I'm mostly upset because honestly I've been so happy with Aperture over the years.  I'm done complaining, I'm just going to vote with my wallet and move on...

• Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No because that’s you only. There is no such bug no matter how many Google hits you claim.

Lag in Typing in Yosemite's Mail w/ External Ap... | Apple Support Communities

• Reply 39 of 67
    rick 007rick 007 Posts: 16member

For those that have both Aperture and iPhoto, this has been very frustrating (at least for me).

Background: We used both applications.  iPhoto has all our original photos from years ago and I typically sync iPhone images/movies to that.  Over the past two years, have used Aperture for my DSLR photos.

When I launched Photos, I was able to pick just one library to import.  I selected iPhoto since that was the larger of the two.

But after that import was done, I couldn't figure out how to import Aperture.  Import command refused to select its library.  On a whim, I dragged my Aperture library to the Photo's dock icon (while app running).  Photos then asked if I wanted to switch to the Aperture library.   I answered yes at which point it then imported photos.

But now, Photos is pointing to a "Photos Library 2" collection and I'm finding no method to switch back to the original "Photos Library" from the iPhoto import!

How is one suppose to import from both Aperture and iPhoto and end up with a consolidated library?

I was also very disappointed with the in-app help.  There is a topic entitled "From other apps" under the "Import photos and video" section.  Sounded promising, but only included help on importing from Mail, Messages, Safari.  One would have though Aperture/iPhotos would have been in that section.

UPDATE: You can switch between the two libraries by double-clicking on the actual Photos Library "document" in Finder.  This will open the document in Photos and you're then asked if you want to switch to using that other library.   Still found no method to consolate the two libraries.

UPDATE 2: I just reshuffled my Adobe app subscriptions to add in Lightroom.   Thankfully, I ended up with a reduction in price.  Of course that could go up after a year.  But this does give me a proper replacement for Aperture.  Photos will thus simply be a replacement of iPhoto for me.

• Reply 40 of 67

Because everybody has this issue, right? A tiny minority with the same problem does not a bug make. And I’ll bet no one made an attempt to coordinate the issue to see what those few systems have in common. Just blame Apple, sit back and wail for a fix.