Apple releases OS X 10.10.3 update with new Photos app, iCloud Photo Library

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    dklawik wrote: »
    do you have to import an entire iPhoto library into Photos?  no way to select just what you want to import?   concerned on how much I can fit into my iCloud space.

Just assuggestion, export a second Library from iPhoto of what you want and import that into Photos.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    lkrupp wrote: »

Because everybody has this issue, right? A tiny minority with the same problem does not a bug make. And I’ll bet no one made an attempt to coordinate the issue to see what those few systems have in common. Just blame Apple, sit back and wail for a fix.
    techno wrote: »
    The real question is does this update fix the typing lag in Mail? That has been bugging the sh1t out of me!

Yes It does. 8-)

That was a pain in the ass wasn't it? I had it on three Macs, a nMP and two MBPs. It was fixed several betas ago in 10.10.3 to be honest but you are good to go with this release for sure.
  • Reply 43 of 67

Just did update. Can no longer boot Mac. I get a folder with a ? in it. Bricked my system good. Thank you Apple. :-) 

UPDATE: Figured out that if you have enabled Firmware Password (which I did), you need to turn it off for your Mac to be able to boot after this update.

• Reply 44 of 67
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Silly question - Can I delete the old iPhoto library as it seems to have created a Photos Library?

this isn't silly

i've got 14k photos (prob 12k selfies of my daughter---argh)   

hope i can

basically i've got 256gb and can't upgrade (could with transcend lite) but

anyone---is it saving ssd valuable space???

i'm doing my super duper clone tonight and watching this forum .........close

• Reply 45 of 67
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

FYI - I actually did a manual backup and then deleted the old library and it didn't hurt anything.  I think the conversion made a backup and then upgraded the new library, the one one had a 'migrated iPhoto library' (or something like that) in it.

Of course your milage may vary.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

this isn't silly

i've got 14k photos (prob 12k selfies of my daughter---argh)   

hope i can

basically i've got 256gb and can't upgrade (could with transcend lite) but

anyone---is it saving ssd valuable space???

i'm doing my super duper clone tonight and watching this forum .........close

• Reply 46 of 67

Well, that was exciting... This was probably the most difficult 10.x release update I've ever had. 2011 17" MacBook Pro stalled at the very end of the installation process (before reboot). I eventually had to power off. Restart did the usual fdsk repair and then the spinning gear spun forever with the cursor momentarily appearing on the screen every 15 seconds. Eventually powered off again. Restart and it came up quite surprisingly quickly to the login screen. Logged in as normal and it updated my Mail folders but everything appears to be "back to normal." Sweated through the two forced restarts though...

• Reply 47 of 67
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    FYI:
    do a time machine backup before installing 10.10.3

If you right-click on your iPhoto library you can find all your original photos (buried in a mass of folders, but they're there). Copy that to an external drive if you want to be extra careful.

Every single iOS and OS X upgrade lately has tried to push me hard to iCloud. No thanks.

People are justified in wondering if they'll get pushed off a cliff into 'the cloud' with these apple upgrades.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

1. does it seriously not prompt you whether you want to import or ignore duplicate photos?  iPhoto's done that since the wee early versions.

2. is there no de-duping feature at all?

3. is there really no way to create a smart album containing only photos that have NOT been given a keyword?

1 and 2 - I have no idea.

3 - To get photos with no keyword in a smart album:

Create a smart album — e.g. File > New Smart Album…

In the file dialog that appears, choose as shown below (the selected item in the third dropdown menu is the default one):

• Reply 49 of 67
    takupertakuper Posts: 1member

Me too. Have to hold the Option key while booting so it asks which startup disk to use. I choose the one and only startup disk and it boots properly. Thanks Mr Cook.

• Reply 50 of 67
    jteditjtedit Posts: 1member
    A Yosemite first. No hung processes in the Activity Monitor.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    For those who have already taken the plunge: can you upload old photos and assign them a date and have them display correctly in chronological order?

Example: i have old family photos from film days that I have scanned and would like them to display on the date I assign to them. The old beta would display them on the date I uploaded them. Is this fixed? How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No because that’s you only. There is no such bug no matter how many Google hits you claim.

I have also that typing lag problem on my MacPro (2009 quad core) it is very annoying!  I haven't  updated yet so I don't know if it got fixed

• Reply 53 of 67
    gavzagavza Posts: 19member

Admittedly I haven't played with it for very long, but I dislike:

0.  When I first launched it, it didn't offer to allow me to import my iPhoto library, which is in a non-standard location (actually in my Dropbox folder), so it instead created another library that appears to be connected to iCloud.  When I searched on how to import my iPhoto library, it turns out I had to launch Photos while holding down the option key, and this would allow me to select another library - in this case my iPhoto library.  That I needed to do it that way, rather than use File->Import, which did not work, is stupid, and tells me that Apple no longer sweats even the most obvious details.

1.  Faces have the pictures in circles - obviously to be consistent with iOS, but I don't like it in iOS either.  There's no reason to use a circle, as the space outside the circle, to the size of the enclosing square, doesn't have any other content anyway - i.e. it just makes blank space.  Why would you do that?  It makes no sense.

2.  Faces are not in alphabetical order, nor is there an option to sort them as such.  This is inane and insane, and truly makes no sense.  They also did this in the photos app on iOS which has since rendered it useless for finding photos of a particular person.  This tells me that Apple no longer cares about the software it puts out, and clearly can't be listening to users.

3.  No places.  Really?  I mean I tagged a bunch of photos in iPhoto with the places they were taken, and now that looks like wasted effort, as I can't do it in Photos.

4.  I had an "unnamed" smart album in iPhoto, that consisted of people who were not named - I don't appear to have that anymore.  There is kind of a replacement, in that when in Faces view it shows you photos with faces that are not yet named, but I can't make that part of the screen take up all the screen real estate.

5.  In the view of Faces for a particular person, they are segregated by Events (or something like that), so often there are only 1 or 2 photos on a line.  This wastes an incredible amount of real estate, and makes it much harder to look at all my pictures.

6.  When presented with a set of photos that might contain a person's face, I can indicate that they are or aren't that person, but I can't control click and say who that picture actually is, if it does not match the suggestion.

On the plus side, the facial recognition seems better than it was in iPhoto.  This does not make up for the other stuff.  I regret updating for sure.  If you want to release a replacement app, it should at least be on a par with the app it replaces, feature wise.

• Reply 54 of 67
    camccamc Posts: 45member

After the upgrade, I'm noticing an odd behaviour with multiple screens.

Maybe it's just me, but when I flip through applications, from time to time the selected application menu appears on the wrong screen, leaving the main menu to the previous app. 

This happens for example when I'm switching from Safari to InDesign with no open docs: InDesign menu pops out on secondary screens, leaving me with the Safari menu on top of my main monitor. InDesign shortcuts work fine though: if I press COMMAND+N,  a new empty document opens up.

• Reply 55 of 67
    dklawikdklawik Posts: 3member

Upgraded last night and imported my main iPhoto library (after it first created a new library and I had to figure out how to switch to my external iPhoto library and re-import - argh!)

I clicked the button to make this library my System library and all of the iCloud settings are turned on, on all of my iOS devices and my mac. 

1) I don't see any change today on iCloud.com or on my iPhone.   I assume the pictures would start showing up. 

2) I don't see my Shared folders in Photos.  It only has an option to create a new shared folder.   I have many shared with my extended family members.  I do still see them on my iPhone and iPad.  but not on the Photos app on the Mac.

any ideas?   others seeing the same kind of behavior?

thanks!

Update:   seems to be working now.    I had to turn off iCloud drive.   then turn it back on, then select the iCloud drive package that fits my library, then it started syncing.   looks like it will take a few days at least.

• Reply 56 of 67
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Because everybody has this issue, right? A tiny minority with the same problem does not a bug make. And I’ll bet no one made an attempt to coordinate the issue to see what those few systems have in common. Just blame Apple, sit back and wail for a fix.

Because it does concern me, read the thread. It is full of people experiencing the same issue. There are a lot of "same here" responses, but there are a lot of people trying to find a common thread, extensions, using Mark Up, etc. So yes, there was plenty of coordination, or at least as much as you can expect in a forum. In my opinion, there are enough people with the same problem, that it isn't just "blame Apple for everything" issue. 

But, I am sure whatever I am saying doesn't satisfy you. So go back to trolling and have a nice day.

• Reply 57 of 67
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pfunk View Post

Has anyone tried accessing an Aperture library with this? Just wondering if this new app converts the photo database so it is then inaccessible by Aperture (which I plan on using until I figure out what I'm going to do...most likely go to Lightroom at some point I guess).

There are instructions on how to convert an Aperture library to a Photo Library so I expect they are not interchangeable.

• Reply 58 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Photo editing using Photos looks to be quite the mess. Who is responsible for this at Apple and what in the world is going on over there?

http://www.imore.com/how-use-external-editor-photos-os-x

• Reply 59 of 67
    techno wrote: »

Because it does concern me, read the thread. It is full of people experiencing the same issue. There are a lot of "same here" responses, but there are a lot of people trying to find a common thread, extensions, using Mark Up, etc. So yes, there was plenty of coordination, or at least as much as you can expect in a forum. In my opinion, there are enough people with the same problem, that it isn't just "blame Apple for everything" issue. 

But, I am sure whatever I am saying doesn't satisfy you. So go back to trolling and have a nice day.

It was a weird one and one out of my four Macs didn't suffer from it and i could never figure out why. Believe me I did 100% clean installs on all to test. It had to be hardware related in some way I think. The work around tip that worked was using the 'Enable Slow Keys' in Accessibility settings which I got from the Apple Developer Group but you lost Caps lock. You have to forgive those that cast doubts as so often folks do have self imagined 'bugs' and then often there is a group mentality that all claim the same thing but in this case it was real.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Mail doesn't seem to be able to access my Gmail after the update. Google keeps sending me emails saying someone's trying to access my Gmail from my location, an they know my password.

Yeah, because that's me. :???: Anybody else having this issue with Mail?