Apple Watch orders will be online-only during launch period due to strong demand

Comments

• Reply 41 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The 2001 iPod was 5GB. I know. I bought one.

So no inflation since 2001?  Nice job.

What?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:

What?

the point is to claim this device is overpriced at 350 in today's dollars is insane, especially compared to $399 in 2001's dollars.

I totally agree, which is why I chimed in.

$350 is expensive for a watch that's not jewellery class and $17000 is ridiculous for one that is.

But this is not just a watch.

$350 is cheap for what the Apple watch does. I'm paying an extra $200 for the durability and look of the steel one.

Meanwhile, $350 is expensive for what a Samsung Gear watch does and how it looks.

• Reply 42 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by therfman View Post

Quote:

Apple Store in Hong Kong told me they will have watches on display at opening time tomorrow morning, so, if accurate, the same should be true for Australia.

Problem for me is that I'm not currently using my credit cards, so I guess I can't preorder, even if I'm holding $600 in cash to get one in my hand.

You can always go to a store today, buy a gift card, and use that to order online.

That's a possibility.

• Reply 43 of 170
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok let me get this straight....I'm seeing all these comments everywhere that ?Watch isn't necessary, people don't know why they'd need it, it's not going to sell, blah blah blah but yet there's this huge uproar about having to order online. Make an appointment to try it on, decide on the one you want and order it online. Also the press release says the online process is for launch period only. So if people are bothered by having to order online or order sight unseen wait until the launch period dies down and more than likely you'll be able to get one in store without an appointment.
  • Reply 44 of 170
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member

you need to suck air in hell.....the comment was valid

• Reply 45 of 170
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    robbiuno wrote: »
    all they've done is removed the ordering/buying queue and replaced it with picking up queuing.

So this launch will be standard for Apple.
    That may be ... But I'm wondering now ... Apple Stores won't have any extra inventory for sale in the 24th, but does this mean other stores will?
    Also beginning April 24, the Apple Watch will be available at boutiques in major cities including colette in Paris, Dover Street Market in London and Tokyo, Maxfield in Los Angeles and The Corner in Berlin, and select Apple Authorized Resellers in China and Japan.

Did Apple just move the lines from their stores to high end jewelry dealers!? That statement makes it sound like the only place to get an ?Watch on the 24th if you didn't pre-order in time will be at one of these stores. Yikes.
  • Reply 46 of 170
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member

Truly spoken like someone who has never been in Cartier, Harry Winston nor even Neiman Marcus precious jewels.  I am sure they are delighted with your absence as likely you are one of those rude people who always loudly exclaims "For that?  I would never pay that for that"  LOL all the while with a debit card in their wallet with a 3 figure balance.  If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT!  simple as that.

• Reply 47 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 wrote: »
    So why do you post on a product that you have no intention of buying?

The only motivation I see is you are trying to convience others not to buy it also?

Am I wrong?

I own a hell of a lot of Apple stock, so I am definitely not going to go out of my way to tell someone to not buy something from Apple. Is that understood?
  • Reply 48 of 170
    So what is  your motivation then?

Why talk about a product you have no intention of buying?

The very first post of mine you objected to stated that there was no proof this story was accurate. Do you recall reading that critical piece of information?
  • Reply 49 of 170
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    tonton wrote: »
    Apple Store in Hong Kong told me they will have watches on display at opening time tomorrow morning, so, if accurate, the same should be true for Australia.

Problem for me is that I'm not currently using my credit cards, so I guess I can't preorder, even if I'm holding $600 in cash to get one in my hand.

Can't you use a debit card?
  • Reply 50 of 170
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    tonton wrote: »

The 2001 iPod was 5GB. I know. I bought one. The Apple Watch has more storage than that.
    Well it may only have 8GB storage, but only 2GB will be allowed for music, and only about 75mb for photos. So in terms of user available storage it seems like it's much less. But then it does so much more.
  • Reply 51 of 170
    there is a direct quote from Anherts.  How can that be no proof?

Did you talk to Ahrendts yourself? You're getting third-hand information.
  • Reply 52 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I heard Nilay Patel was on CNBC this morning trashing ?Watch but the hosts were having none of it and pushing back. I hope they put that video on line. I'd love to see it.

He is on a crusade to make a name for himself by being the most negative reviewer of the apple watch.  Won't work.  

• Reply 53 of 170
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I heard Nilay Patel was on CNBC this morning trashing ?Watch but the hosts were having none of it and pushing back. I hope they put that video on line. I'd love to see it.

That guy is a self important asshole. The Verge review is the worst of all the ones I've come across, and by far the most negative- and it got he the most press. Nice to see he's now doing the media rounds. The site really went to shit after Topolsky left. His review at Bloomberg is much more balanced. I've barely agreed with anything nilay has said in the past, he tends to look at everything in a cynical light. They really should have gotten someone else to review the watch, like pierce.
  • Reply 54 of 170
    He is on a crusade to make a name for himself by being the most negative reviewer of the apple watch.  Won't work.  

Patel is a boor. Ever since he got the top job at The Verge their reporters have been fleeing that site.
  • Reply 55 of 170
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I won't take this story as the last word on the matter since important details may have been left out, but if such a story were accurate it certainly would hobble the entire order process. I wouldn't place an order for a watch that I couldn't try on first.

The story is true, and makes a lot of sense.

If you need to try it on, you have to go to an Apple retail store, with a reservation, though there will be an option  at the store to sign up for an available time slot. Then I would assume that you would want to use the app to order online after finding a suitable watch/band combination.

For the Edition, there will only be select Apple Retail stores and select 3rd party retailers.

If this procedure doesn't work for you, then the option is to wait until the stores have enough stock to both show, sell, and deliver.

Just not seeing the problem.

• Reply 56 of 170
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Why wouldn't you have the in store try on launch BEFORE online availability? That way people would know what watch they want to order and have less returns.
  • Reply 57 of 170
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence about this about-face on lineups and the decision to make online the only channel.

I still feel that lineups are a great barometer for early product success.

Let's hope Apple's servers don't go down from all the activity .... or hope they do? ;)

We don't need barometers, and if Apple is pushing online orders only, it's pretty certain that they've prepared their infrastructure for the launch window.

In fact, online is the best strategy, as it's far more expandable than trying to shoehorn more stock and more customers into already crowded stores, and dealing with ever longer wait lines.
  • Reply 58 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Quote:

Can't you use a debit card?

Debit cards don't exist here. Yeah, I know.

• Reply 59 of 170
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

We don't need barometers, and if Apple is pushing online orders only, it's pretty certain that they've prepared their infrastructure for the launch window.

In fact, online is the best strategy, as it's far more expandable than trying to shoehorn more stock and more customers into already crowded stores, and dealing with ever longer wait lines.

"online is the best strategy" Yes it is until you start getting lots of returns because you didnt try the watch on before you ordered because you were worried you would not get one for months if you didn't order the first day and when it comes its too big, or too small and you don't like the band color so you want to go exchange it.

Makes no sense why you wouldn't have the try on available before online sales went live.

I forsee a lot of refurbished watches available pretty fast
  • Reply 60 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:

The 2001 iPod was 5GB. I know. I bought one. The Apple Watch has more storage than that.

Well it may only have 8GB storage, but only 2GB will be allowed for music, and only about 75mb for photos. So in terms of user available storage it seems like it's much less. But then it does so much more.

Well, I expect to only use my Apple Watch for work music, so 2GB is enough. I'll use my Nano for my preferred playlists and iTunes Match for everything else.