Apple Watch orders will be online-only during launch period due to strong demand

Comments

• Reply 81 of 170
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I doubt the music will be stored on the Watch.  The Watch will be a controller for music stored on your iPhone.  It would make zero sense for Apple to expect those with large music libraries to have to pick and choose a subset of their music to download to the Watch when the Watch already needs your iPhone present to provide the earbud jack to wired earbuds/headphones or bluetooth connection to wireless earbuds/headphones or a bluetooth enabled stereo.  Remember, the bluetooth connection from your watch to the phone is BLE, not the same as the standard bluetooth connection used to beam music to wireless bluetooth speakers, earbuds and headphones.  Apple is neither going to fill up available storage on the Watch with music, nor are they going to suck the watch battery dry beaming music from it.

My understanding is that the Apple Watch readily supports music without necessity for an iPhone, but you are probably correct that you would need BLE compatible headphones. This would be a standard paradigm for athletic use with the motion chip; just the bare necessities until you next connect up to a WiFi network or and iPhone.

MacRumors has a writeup just posted on Apple Watch WiFi capabilities sans iPhone. A revelation for me, and beneficial.

• Reply 82 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Yes I am.

Someone who owns an iPhone (you need one to buy the Watch) and wants to buy the watch.  I pretty sure 99.999999% of those people know how to purchase stuff online.  And if they don't the Apple STore employees can help them.

Its almost if you never visited an AppleStore in your life.  Again this isn't Walmart we are talking about.

You're blocked and I've no interest in further communicating with you.
  • Reply 83 of 170
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The lack of clarity in Apple's press release has given rise to spin that makes it seem like you are on your own after you are given limited time to try on watches, then sent on your way to figure out what and where to place a preorder. This needs to be clarified because it's obvious that even people here are under the impression that they must place orders for watches they may not want in the hopes they'll get one they will want. Lack of clarity gives rise to speculation, which drives irrational behavior.

It doesn't matter what Apple says when the naysayers will "spin" it how ever they want regardless. I highly doubt if a customer asks a retail employee how to order the Watch they're going to be told "sorry you have to figure that out on your own".
  • Reply 84 of 170
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    I asked if it was because of interest in the new designs and, therefore, an increase in demand, and his answer was yes. He also said that they also started to adopt Apple's (he used their name specifically) marketing tactic of creating demand via constricted supply and he said that it has had a tremendous, positive effect on their sales.
    That's not even close to proof that Apple does this. That just hearsay on the part of someone. Heck, you don't even have proof that this sales technique works. You only have someone's opinion that it does.

On the other hand, we KNOW that Apple practices JIT manufacturing, which requires that they lock in predicted demand way ahead of time. And we KNOW that there will be constraints on production of things like sapphire screens and special alloy gold watches. So this whole false meme of Apple creating a false shortage is just being perpetuated by you.

The question is, are you just someone who has bought into the propaganda being disseminated by Apple detractors, who are legion, or are you an Apple detractor yourself?
  • Reply 85 of 170
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

blame it on GTAT

Why? have the try on start the 10th and order availability start the 17th.. easy. I'll take 1/1000th of Angela Ahrendts salary please

How does that make any sense.  Flip it around.  What if Apple said, you can come in for a try on on the 10th.  Oh, and by the way, you can also order on the 10th.  So if you are inclined to wait until the 10th to try one on in the store, you then aren't required to also wait until the 17th to order it.  Seems you'd want to order it as soon as you've been able to try it on, and you can do that with the current setup by simply waiting until after you've tried one on before ordering one.  You can self-impose a delay on ordering.  But for those of us who have already gone into the Apple Store app on our phone, have seen the actual size images, automatically adjusted to the known display size of your iPhone screen, and have determined which Watch size is appropriate (I have smaller wrists and so it's obvious to me that the 38mm is the appropriate size for me), and those of us who already know which band and material we want, why should we have to wait until you are able to go take the time to try one on.  We'd be penalized and held back on being first in line simply to allow you to get comfortable with the size and style you want.  Doesn't make sense.

• Reply 86 of 170
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    cgs268 wrote: »
    I truly wish them the best of luck... but the pricing of these watches is ridiculous. I was expecting the price to be half as much and I was still not convinced I needed one. But now it's a definite no.
    Price to be half? You're fcking kidding? POS Gear is already $300 and has 10% features of Apple watch. Beside the short battery life, Apple watch makes the rest of smart watches look like garbages.
  • Reply 87 of 170
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This is totally logical and makes complete sense. I don't get all the knee jerk reactions questioning if Ahrendts "gets" Apple or knows what she's doing,

She gets that Apple Retail wasn't perfect in its current form. The least perfect aspect of Apple Retail historically has been the new product introductions. Her fingerprints seem to be all over the Apple Watch intro.

• Reply 88 of 170
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Slightly off-topic. Walked by the Samsung Store in our local mall to see a giant LED TV/billboard out in front. Just had to snap a picture. Click for full size.

To clarify, since it's kinda dark, there are ZERO customers in the Samsung Store. So much for the "worth lining up for" on their giant TV. And yes, there are people in the mall (it's just after lunch). Since a lot of people don't like someone snapping their picture I had to wait a couple minutes until there was a break in the crowd.

That's the way it was in the Samsung store in the Boca Raton mall (Town Center Mall), a mall that supports both an Apple store (always busy) and a Tesla store, so there are customers with money to spend here in one of the most exclusive communities on the planet.  And yet, there the Samsung store sat, nearly empty, every time I walked by.  Well, until they closed it, after which is was completely empty.  LOL!

• Reply 89 of 170
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Great points.  Apple is transitioning from being a cute Tech company to a full blown luxury/lifestyle company.

Can you imagine hundreds of people waiting in line to buy the latest LouisVutton bag?  Hell no.

Note that this press release specifically says "at launch". So this may not be some wholesale change in how Apple retail works. Also the only product people have been lining up for these days is iPhone. We have no idea how Apple will handle the next iPhone launch.
  • Reply 90 of 170

AngAhs doesn't understand the basic relationship that the Mac users and potential users have with the company. When you bring people into the store, you invite them into your home - so to speak. And that makes a personal relationship possible. And that leads to sales. I know Apple stands above the rest of the industry in its approach to product, service and retail experience. But Apple doesn't need a stick-your-nose-up-in-the-air British caste system to define its market place.

• Reply 91 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sacto joe wrote: »
    That's not even close to proof that Apple does this. That just hearsay on the part of someone. Heck, you don't even have proof that this sales technique works. You only have someone's opinion that it does.

On the other hand, we KNOW that Apple practices JIT manufacturing, which requires that they lock in predicted demand way ahead of time. And we KNOW that there will be constraints on production of things like sapphire screens and special alloy gold watches. So this whole false meme of Apple creating a false shortage is just being perpetuated by you.

The question is, are you just a dummy who has bought into the propaganda being disseminated by Apple detractors, who are legion, or are you an Apple detractor yourself?

He's no detractor. I'd call him a huge fan of Apple.
  • Reply 92 of 170
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Great points.  Apple is transitioning from being a cute Tech company to a full blown luxury/lifestyle company.

Can you imagine hundreds of people waiting in line to buy the latest LouisVutton bag?  Hell no.

I'd argue that the way Apple's new product intros were conducted before never really were conducive to good customer relations. Pretty clearly Tim Cook believes this aspect of Apple's business is more important than Steve Jobs did. I'd bet that Ahrendt's calling card in her interviews with Cook was that she wanted fix this.

• Reply 93 of 170
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    You cannot say with certainty that Apple does not employ this practice. It is used by many companies and brands, especially the high-end ones. I'm not saying this is the case with, especially, iPhones, because they sell themselves, but you can't say that they are not using it now with a new device in a nascent category.

I spoke with the VP of N. American sales for Alfa Romeo at the International Auto Show in NYC this past weekend. We were discussing their line of cars and the fact that Alfa Romeo has a 9 month backlog for their vehicles, which surprised me. Alfa Romeo?.....seriously? I asked if it was because of interest in the new designs and, therefore, an increase in demand, and his answer was yes. He also said that they also started to adopt Apple's (he used their name specifically) marketing tactic of creating demand via constricted supply and he said that it has had a tremendous, positive effect on their sales.

If there is low supply, regardless of demand, and a buzz is created about it, it draws interest to the item or device because it makes people wonder what all the hubbub is about and think that they're missing out on something. It's mental salivation.
    dude, stop that shi.t. Every fcking company in the world wants to sell more products and meets the demands. Fixconn hired 100000 more people to meet the production. Apple in no where slowed it down. Why don't you look at th manufacturers? 16 hrs/day workers at Foxconn doesn't tell that story.
  • Reply 94 of 170
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:

How does that make any sense.  Flip it around.  What is Apple said, you can come in for a try on on the 10th.  Oh, and by the way, you can also order on the 10th.  So if you are inclined to wait until the 10th to try one on in the store, you then aren't required to also wait until the 17th to order it.  Seems you'd want to order it as soon as you're been able to try it on, and you can do that with the current setup by simply waiting until after you've tried one on before ordering one.  You can self-imposed a delay in ordering.  But for those of us who have already gone into the Apple Store app on our phone, have seen the actual size images, automatically adjusted to the known display size of your iPhone screen, and have determined which Watch size is appropriate (I have smaller wrists and so its obvious to me that the 38mm is the appropriate size for me), and those of us who already know which band and material we want, why should we have to wait until you are able to go take the time to try one on.  We'd be penalized and held back on being first in line simply to allow you to get comfortable with the size and style you want.  Doesn't make sense.

Because online orders start at 3:01 EST and most likely will sell out by the time you go to try it on?
    Also not everyone can go in day 1 and try it on, most likely it will be a mob scene. If they had a week for try ons before ordering was available then you could order a 3:01 and get a watch you know will be the right size and band instead trying to look at an image in the apple store app on your iphone and fantasizing on how it will look on your wrist.

Makes no sense. They obviously have watches available right now since allot of employees have them.

Again I'm sure people will appreciate the early watch refurbs
  • Reply 95 of 170
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I think we're looking at this like an iPhone pre-order with a limited number of available units to ship by the 24th. Instead, Apple is offering so many varieties that there will be adequate volume to supply the orders by April 24th, and they just need to be custom assembled to match customer options. If nothing else, there's a pile of "guts" ready to go and Apple only need to fabricate more of a particular case and band.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see the delivery date remain for the 24th even for watches pre-ordered up to a week later. It won't be like the iPhone which delivery dates begin slipping within 24 hours. That gives customers plenty of time to get in and see one before they order.

I was thinking they should have started showing the watch in stores last Friday, and then starting pre-orders tomorrow, but if I'm right about supply, then it's pointless. Just offer preorders as soon as they can logistically get the watches into the stores.

Hmm maybe you're right. but it sounds like they are saying that demand is strong and to order right away,
    Instead of saying: your watch is built to order so you should be fine to order it with in the first week.
  • Reply 96 of 170
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgs268 View Post

I truly wish them the best of luck... but the pricing of these watches is ridiculous. I was expecting the price to be half as much and I was still not convinced I needed one. But now it's a definite no.

You were "expecting" the Apple Watch to start at around $150?

Yeah, just like the iPhone pricing was "ridiculous". The iPad was "ridiculous". So is every single other product they've released, if you take an internet poll. If only Apple knew how much you wanted to pay, they could have avoided this massive over-pricing mistake. I mean just think, they could have cut the price in half and then had the remote POSSIBILITY that someone like you might buy it. I mean, if they priced it at $50, maybe they could have gotten a GUARANTEED sale from someone like you. Quick, maybe it's not too late and you can send Tim Cook an email advising them of this "ridiculous" pricing. 

Seriously, I'm not sure you realize how silly and self-entitled you sound, announcing that the product should be priced 50% lower, in which case you might not buy one anyway. Trust me, Apple has enough people willing to buy the product, and doesn't need to cater to people like you so that they go out of business. 

• Reply 97 of 170
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo View Post

Quote:

How does that make any sense.  Flip it around.  What is Apple said, you can come in for a try on on the 10th.  Oh, and by the way, you can also order on the 10th.  So if you are inclined to wait until the 10th to try one on in the store, you then aren't required to also wait until the 17th to order it.  Seems you'd want to order it as soon as you're been able to try it on, and you can do that with the current setup by simply waiting until after you've tried one on before ordering one.  You can self-imposed a delay in ordering.  But for those of us who have already gone into the Apple Store app on our phone, have seen the actual size images, automatically adjusted to the known display size of your iPhone screen, and have determined which Watch size is appropriate (I have smaller wrists and so its obvious to me that the 38mm is the appropriate size for me), and those of us who already know which band and material we want, why should we have to wait until you are able to go take the time to try one on.  We'd be penalized and held back on being first in line simply to allow you to get comfortable with the size and style you want.  Doesn't make sense.

Because online orders start at 3:01 EST and most likely will sell out by the time you go to try it on?

Also not everyone can go in day 1 and try it on, most likely it will be a mob scene. If they had a week for try ons before ordering was available then you could order a 3:01 and get a watch you know will be the right size and band instead trying to look at an image in the apple store app on your iphone and fantasizing on how it will look on your wrist.

Makes no sense. They obviously have watches available right now since allot of employees have them.

Again I'm sure people will appreciate the early watch refurbs

I agree with your logic that there won't be any watches available for pre-order by the time that even the first customers have been through their allotted reservation time, but then again, most of us pre-ordering will know exactly what SKU we want, and most of us will not return our watches because we "chose poorly". Arguably, most of those sales will be Sport Watches, which aren't even that big a deal financially.

• Reply 98 of 170
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

I'd argue that the way Apple's new product intros were conducted before never really were conducive to good customer relations. Pretty clearly Tim Cook believes this aspect of Apple's business is more important than Steve Jobs did. I'd bet that Ahrendt's calling card in her interviews with Cook was that she wanted fix this.

In addition to your points, the opening-day circus began to get very ugly in New York and other gateway cities for scalpers. This was for the recent iPhones, a far simpler in-store product to move predictably.

The Watch selling process is full of unknowns and complications, and it's supposed to be a class product besides. No way will those lines be encouraged for this product.
  • Reply 99 of 170
    cgs268cgs268 Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

You were "expecting" the Apple Watch to start at around $150?

Yeah, just like the iPhone pricing was "ridiculous". The iPad was "ridiculous". So is every single other product they've released, if you take an internet poll. If only Apple knew how much they wanted to pay, they could have avoided this massive over-pricing mistake. I mean just think, they could have cut the price in half and then had the remote POSSIBILITY that a troll like you might buy it. I mean, if they priced it at $50, maybe they could have gotten a GUARANTEED sale from a troll like you. Quick, maybe it's not too late and you can send Tim Cook an email advising them of this "ridiculous" pricing. 

Seriously, I'm not sure you realize how silly and self-entitled you sound, announcing that the product should be priced 50% lower, in which case you might not buy one anyway. Trust me, Apple has enough people willing to buy the product, and does need to cater to bargain-bin trolls like you so that they go out of business. 

You are delirious.  And you think I'm the troll?  

You're the one up in my arms about what I wrote which is just a personal statement and affects me and me only. 

Why are there always people trolling these forums? FFS.  If you have nothing good to say don't say anything. 

• Reply 100 of 170
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

You are delirious.  And you think I'm the troll?  

You're the one up in my arms about what I wrote which is just a personal statement and affects me and me only. 

Why are there always people trolling these forums? FFS.  If you have nothing good to say don't say anything. 

Nice try. Your statement was extremely trollish. Basically making an announcement that the Watch is not worth half what they are selling it at- and even at half the price you wouldn't buy one. And that Apple made a ridiculous mistake not pricing it at your absurd level, because YOU will not buy one, because you don't have interest in the product anyway.  You can't tell how childish that sounds? Why does anyone care if you buy it or not? Why should they value it at the level that people who don't give a shit about the product would be willing to buy it at? Even if the Mac Pro was half the price I would not buy it, because I do not need one- that doesn't mean I believe Apple SHOULD price it that low, or that its not more than worth its value to those that need it or choose to buy it.