Android Wear support may soon arrive on Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Google is almost ready to bring support for Android Wear devices to the iPhone, but public availability will be dependent not only on Apple approval but whether Google decides to release it, a new report claims.

Citing a source close to the project team, The Verge reported on Thursday that Google is "close to finishing the final technical details," and that in the technology's current state, Wear devices would support many of the same functions they're capable of when paired with Android phones. Through a companion iOS app, Wear owners would be able to get notifications, Google Now cards, and voice commands such as search.

More complex features, like replying to email, might be dependent on a person installing other Google apps such as Gmail. Also ambiguous is whether people would have access to functions like music controls, but that is already supported by Pebble smartwatches, which pair with both iOS and Android.

Google is likely to want to bring Android Wear to the iPhone, since while it doesn't make any smartwatches itself, support could strengthen the Android ecosystem and increase the use of its services.

There has been speculation that Apple may be resistant to allowing its chief rival to compete with the Apple Watch, which ships April 24. But the company may not have any reasonable basis for objection, given that Pebble is already on the App Store and targeting Google might be seen as anti-competitive.

Word of Android Wear coming to the iPhone first emerged in early March. It was suggested that Google could announce official support at May's Google I/O conference, but that it might arrive even earlier with the Apple Watch soon to launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Why not? The wearables market is about to explode. Might as well right the back of the Apple Watch to victory.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Will anyone with a iphone care? Not like Android Wear or any Android watches have been flying off the shelf's. This is all based on a RUMOR anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Who/what is an 'Android Wear'?

• Reply 4 of 27
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Obviously, so long as Google follows the App store policies, Android Wear apps can be accepted to the Apple App Store. No problems with that. So any speculated objects are simply the author of this article stirring the rumor pot for no good reason other than click baiting.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    They can bring Android Wear to iOS but that doesn't mean anyone will actually use it.

There are very few Android Wear devices out there, and most of them were probably bought by die-hard Android fans who'd never go near an iPhone.

Then again, it would be funny if sales of Android Wear devices took off and iOS users buying them surpassed Android users. What a slap to the face that would be.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator

I believe it's pronounced 'Android Where'. It's a competition to see if you can spot anyone actually using Android devices to backup their activation numbers. You win a watch if you can spot anyone.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member

I would have probably purchased the Motorola watch had they supported iOs at or near when it launched. 

Adding support several months after launch and just when the Apple watch is going to launch? Nope. If they cared about the users instead of the platform, support for iOs users would have been there all along and that tells me all I need to know.

• Reply 8 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I'm not sure if I want an Apple Watch but I definitely don't want a Google tracker.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

It's how a gatorguy is attired. ;)
  • Reply 10 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

I know it's all about consumer choice, but why would anyone with an iPhone even want to attempt using such trash as an Android watch?

• Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I believe it's pronounced 'Android Where'. It's a competition to see if you can spot anyone actually using Android devices to backup their activation numbers. You win a watch if you can spot anyone.

I've actually seen a few Moto 360s, mostly because they are a complete eyesore.  

They look good in renders, but they look terrible on wrists.  You can spot from a mile away.  

• Reply 12 of 27
    sflocal wrote: »
    I know it's all about consumer choice, but why would anyone with an iPhone even want to attempt using such trash as an Android watch?
    Google apps on iOS lover here!

I would love a second or third gen. Moto 360 that allowed you to respond to notifications through voice. Don't think Apple will allow this though. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

I think it's slightly amusing that some articles are painting this as some sort of sneaky move where Google is going to jiu-jitsu Apple and steal the Apple Watch's thunder and/or profits.

To me, it's just one less reason to consider an Android phone over an iPhone (which, of course, is the real money-maker).  If Android feels the need to hitch to Apple's star to find success, I don't see how that's a bad thing.

• Reply 14 of 27
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Do you ever get out of your posh villa? Because in Real Life, lots and lots of people use Androids. Even my own elder sister has one of the things, though my youngest sister got a brand new iPhone last week, which kind of compensates the shame :p

• Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by slickdealer View Post

I've actually seen a few Moto 360s, mostly because they are a complete eyesore.  

They look good in renders, but they look terrible on wrists.  You can spot from a mile away.  

Tell me about it. It looks huge, like a hockey puck, and the way the straps connect looks horrible.

• Reply 16 of 27
    I don't think Apple cares, really. They allow apps that connect iPhones up to Microsoft and Fitbit watches, as well as the Pebble watch. What's special about the crappy Android Wear watches? I don't get who is stirring up this rumor that Apple will block this.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Yes.  One of my friends has a Moto360 and its as ugly as sin.  The thickness of it is what makes it look so horrible.  My friend is not  a small guy, but still the Moto looks like a hockey puck on his wrist.
    The initial build of most products could benefit from improvements, and they generally do if there's a v.2. From the Moto forums it seems there's a new version of the Moto 360 in final testing now with the retail release just around the corner. It's said to be much thinner among some other improvements.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I think we all know what the v2 version of all smart watches will look like after the Apple Watch is released. It'll be like smart phones after the iPhone, all over again.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Yes.  One of my friends has a Moto360 and its as ugly as sin.  The thickness of it is what makes it look so horrible.  My friend is not  a small guy, but still the Moto looks like a hockey puck on his wrist.

Yup not ugly, but hardly a fashion statement is it? they could have 'hidden' some of the depth by making the strap connect anywhere except where they had to do it, and the reason they had to fit it there was otherwise the diameter would have been effectively increased

I would imagine, that every 'smart' watch manufacturer that wants to become relevant, is going to go away from round faces to square ones. Round can look cool when displaying the analog watch face, but for every other screen its just awkward.

• Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think we all know what the v2 version of all smart watches will look like after the Apple Watch is released. It'll be like smart phones after the iPhone, all over again.

yes- either square faced, or, squishy. In squish mode the shape changes - round when its displaying analog hands, square when its displaying anything else. Samsung managed to bend an LCD round a corner, to dramatic but sofa useless effect - maybe they can do the Samsung Squishable.