Touch ID not working in App Store for some iOS 8.3 users

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Apple's newly released iOS 8.3 update is preventing Touch ID from being used to make App Store purchases for some iPhone and iPad owners, according to complaints on Twitter and Apple's support forums.

AppleInsider was able to verify the problem on an iPhone 6 and an iPad Air 2, but the issue is reportedly affecting most or all Touch ID-enabled devices, including the iPhone 5s and 6 Plus. Affected people are being asked to enter their Apple ID when making a purchase even if they have Touch ID enabled for the App Store through the "Touch ID & Passcode" menu under Settings.

Users have tried toggling the option off and on again without success, and the bug appears to manifest even on freshly restored devices. One workaround may be to disable ID requests for free downloads, but a password will still be mandatory for paid apps.

All other uses of Touch ID appear to be unaffected, such as device unlocks and Apple Pay.

iOS 8.3 added features like new emoji, app and interface tweaks, wireless CarPlay support, and Wi-Fi calling for more carriers. More importantly though it concentrated on bugfixes and speed improvements, making the Touch ID glitch stand out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ????!
  • Reply 2 of 36
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    annoying.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    gerardgerard Posts: 83member
    Just tried; it's not working for me either
  • Reply 4 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

I'm experiencing this issue. Not the end of the world, I'm sure they will issue an update soon that addresses it. Looking forward to the bitching, whining, "apple is incompetent", and entitled rants though. 

• Reply 5 of 36
    Oh my gosh, Tim needs to be fired, Apple is doomed, iOS 8 is garbage, and this never would have happened under Steve Jobs.

I think I got them all.

Anyway, happening to me too. Annoying but livable.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I wonder if anybody has tried restarting? Probably not. First rule of troubleshooting Apple devices... whine and complain, sit on your butt and spew your outrage. Heaven forbid you actually try and fix something on your own.

• Reply 7 of 36
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

I try to wait a week or so before updating to see if any major issues arise...  hope I do not need to wait to x.x.2 or 3 update.

• Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Oh my gosh, Tim needs to be fired, Apple is doomed, iOS 8 is garbage, and this never would have happened under Steve Jobs.

I think I got them all.

You forgot to mention that it's snappier and all the debug code has been removed.

• Reply 9 of 36

Would try it myself, but I can't access the update. Right now it tells me it has 31 hours remaining to complete the download.

• Reply 10 of 36
    How about apple pay finger print when buying something in the Apple Store app?

Anyone know if this is affected?
  • Reply 11 of 36
    So...8.3.1 anyone?
  • Reply 12 of 36
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I think I got them all.

You forgot one: Tim Cook should be focusing on Apple and not gay rights. 

• Reply 13 of 36
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    I don't know why some people are having problems but I was on every stage of this beta and now using the GM and never had an issue with apple pay or Touch ID.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

I've not had the opportunity to use Apple Pay yet.

I rarely purchase anything from my iPhone, but it seems like every time I do have to enter my passcode anyway since I restart more often than I make a purchase.

• Reply 15 of 36
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Now I hope people realize that you have to enter your password after a reboot of the iPhone, not only the first time you log into your phone, but also the first time you Log into the App store and then after that the TouchID will work so long as you don't reboot your phone again. Installing a new iOS update means you're rebooting your phone. I hope that's not what's people are having issues with. I haven't had a change to test this this myself yet and see if it's a real issue or not, at least for me.
  • Reply 16 of 36

No this is a bug. This is quite well documented across other apple related websites such as macrumours, 9to5mac.

Normally you dont need to enter password if you have entered it in iTunes first time. It requires TouchID after the first time. This bug is always asking for password and not asking for TouchID at all in App store.

• Reply 17 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I did the update on two devices with zero issues for Touch ID. However I did recently reset all my settings on both. I do this periodically cause things tend to get goofy and that always cleans it up. So I wonder if the issue isn't 8.3 but corrupt user data in those settings files which is incompatible with the new software
  • Reply 18 of 36
    bingo1bingo1 Posts: 25member
    Touch ID doesn't work either in App Store or iTunes Store. 8.3 was done on both iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2. Neither works. :(
  • Reply 19 of 36
    gus005gus005 Posts: 1member

I was able to fix mine on my iPhone 5S by deleting the fingerprint and re-adding it.

• Reply 20 of 36
    cd360cd360 Posts: 2member
    iMore has a fix. worked for me.