Update your Mac: Apple fixes major flaw in OS X Yosemite, but won't patch Lion, Mountain Lion or Mav

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TexDeafy View Post

Yes, I'm huge Apple fans. Apple, **** you for not update Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks with this serious flaw. We old OS X users could NOT afford buy new Apple computer every 2-3 years so we can get the latest OS version with better security. My mid 2007 MacBook run fine and is on Mac OS X Lion even though it's damaged by water (not my fault, there's fault in a water pipe behind the wall at my old apartment, it's horrible, flood my bedroom and it's like heavy rain from ceiling.) ruin my bed and other stuff but my MacBook survived. I'm still use it until it went no good and no longer work. Why waste a lot of money buy new MacBook that compatible with new OS?? That's stupid, IMHO.

You don't need to buy a new Mac. 

Just upgrade the OS. Yosemite is free.

Quite frankly, though, you're running a Mac from 2007. Keep that in mind. 

However, I've got Yosemite running on an early 2008 15-inch MacBook Pro. Popped 6GB of RAM into it back in '09. 

Yosemite is compatible with Macs all the way back to early 2008, and some that are even older. 

Runs Yosemite very nicely. This is information anyone can Google in only a few seconds, and it was made quite clear in the first place. 

FYI:

Yosemite Compatibility

• iMac (Mid-2007 or later)

• MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)

• MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)

• Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)

• Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)

• Xserve (Early 2009)

• Reply 42 of 102
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    There's just no way I'll upgrade to Yosemite at this point. The bashing of Photos alone has convinced me to wait longer, however many other issues have more than convinced me that Yosemite isn't for me yet.

I've had no serious issues with Yosemite. I don't find it any slower than Mavericks either. I'm impressed with Photos so far. It's significantly faster than iPhoto and the UI is cleaner and more logical. So far I'm not missing anything from iPhoto. Photos is much snappier and I like the iCloud photo library option.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I'm sure Daniel Eran Dilger will be all over this as he is with Android flaws /s

Well what do you know! A negative report about Apple and up pops Lord Amhran. 

• Reply 44 of 102
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I certainly hope they reconsider their position on this.

Why? People running obsolete software on obsolete hardware with no intention of upgrading are dead to Apple as customers. What is Apple’s obligation to these types and for how long? Forever? It’s a business, not a religion or social contract.

• Reply 45 of 102
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

I'm sure Daniel Eran Dilger will be all over this as he is with Android flaws /s

Nope.  This is dealing with the desktop OS.  So if anything, it would be compared to Windows which as far as I'm concerned I would never use for my day-to-day computing needs.  

• Reply 46 of 102
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    danielsw wrote: »
    Well I'm no spring chicken, as my first machine was the Macintosh 512 in 1987 which I bought at the age of 37. I've been a full-time professional technical artist, making my living and supporting a family exclusively on Macs since then and have bought many thousands of dollars of Apple computers and products over the years.

I can say in all honesty that I have rarely of ever been seriously disappointed in any of Apple's OSs—especially since OS X.1. Though, admittedly, knowing that it was the first iteration, I was anxious to get the next update, observing the limitations the first version.

As pleased as I've been with each OS as it came out, like Apple, I've never been satisfied with the "status quo" and I've eagerly upgraded to the next best hardware and the next best OS. Each update has enabled me to do more work and more pleasantly than the previous one.

So I have no patience whatsoever with any of you blowhards running off at the keyboard with your righteous indignations and your petty gossip and bad-mouthing a great company and its people.

Apple is constantly "moving on" and so should all of you.

You're a noob here based on your post count.

And you were so busy frothing at the mouth at somebody exercising the basic human right of personal choice that you failed to recognise that you insulted someone who actually SHARES your views on Apple and it's products.

Try not to be such an opinionated jerk when trying to get your point across in the future.
  • Reply 47 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Unsupported as of February 26, 2014.

You're rolling the dice. 

Then again, it's OS X, so you're pretty safe as it is. Just keep in mind that it's an unsupported OS as of over a year ago. 

I have late 2006 iMac I'm putting 2 TB drive in, so I'm kinda stuck. And I use that and mid-2009 MacBook Pro to run arcade ROMs.

Sounds like the key is not installing malware, which I shall try not to do.

I do appreciate the warning!

(O, yeah: And at work [newspaper] we'll never ever ever upgrade. Miracle we got Snow Leopard!)

• Reply 48 of 102
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There's just no way I'll upgrade to Yosemite at this point. The bashing of Photos alone has convinced me to wait longer, however many other issues have more than convinced me that Yosemite isn't for me yet.

I don't get your hate for Yosemite.  I'm curious what your lingering "real" issues are with Yosemite.  I think Apple is doing the right thing by not supporting older OS'es.  Heck, as far as I'm concerned, it would be the equivalent of Microsoft being expected to support WindowsXP right now too.  Not going to happen.  Adapt and move on or stay stuck in your outdated OS slumber.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved Snow Leopard. It was (for me) rock solid and everything worked.  Upgraded to Lion and it was a world of hurt, things broke - even on clean install - and had to buy a new laser printer because my "old one" was no longer supported by HP for Lion.  I was p****d off for a long time.  

Yosemite has been awesome for me.  Best OS update yet.  Zero issues on it from my side.  

So I'm really curious about your stance on it.  What system-issue is preventing you from getting on the wagon?

• Reply 49 of 102
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Great. So let's see what my options are:

1) Upgrade to Yoseshite and lose functionality of some critical, but ageing, 3rd party software.

Or

2) Risk getting hacked by some spotty pubescent teenager

Hmmmm...

Maybe I will just have to return to the mindset of the late 90s early 2000s and disconnect my Mac from the net to continue to use it without a hitch.
  • Reply 50 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    robbyx wrote: »
    I've had no serious issues with Yosemite. I don't find it any slower than Mavericks either. I'm impressed with Photos so far. It's significantly faster than iPhoto and the UI is cleaner and more logical. So far I'm not missing anything from iPhoto. Photos is much snappier and I like the iCloud photo library option.

100% agree.
  • Reply 51 of 102
    mutoneonmutoneon Posts: 51member

I see a hell of a lot of angry, defensive fanboyish froth in this thread in regards to Yosemite.  If you lack the imagination and mental faculty required to recognize that your own experience does not represent everyone's experience, perhaps you'd be better of not saying anything.

Yosemite looks like ass on my 2010 13" MBP.  I didn't like it in beta, and I still don't like it now.  It was designed for a high resolution display.  But far more importantly, web video performance took a massive hit on my hardware, and it has never been completely fixed.  I've tried using ClicktoPlugin, etc. but have never been able to get consistent, reliable results, such that it's simply not worth using.  So many video players chug for me where I used to have a perfectly usable machine.  Whatever they did to try and leverage the GPU for decoding has resulted in a measurably worse experience for me, and this is many many months after release.

Why in the world should I be happy about an operating system that looks and performs worse than its predecessor that came out less than 2 years ago?  This accelerated Mac OS update cycle has directly coincided with some of the worst back-to-back releases I can recall since the days of System 7.5.

I, for one, would gladly welcome a return to a slower, more carefully vetted upgrade cycle.  I had intended to finally migrate this laptop back to Mavericks this weekend, now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  Apple is experiencing substantial QA problems in their software, and if you don't recognize that, you're in denial.  The anecdotes are myriad and plentiful.

• Reply 52 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mobius wrote: »

1) Upgrade to Yoseshite and lose functionality of some critical, but ageing, 3rd party software.

Or

Hmmmm...

Maybe I will just have to return to the mindset of the late 90s early 2000s and disconnect my Mac from the net to continue to use it without a hitch.

Hopefully you forgot the /s tag.

Yosemite is the best OS X so far ... by far.
  • Reply 53 of 102
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    All the more reason I hope Adobe hurries up with resolving the compatibility issues between various components of CC/CC2014 and Yosemite. I have a bunch workstations I can't upgrade to Yosemite for exactly that reason; but now my artists are hanging out in the breeze, vulnerable.
  • Reply 54 of 102
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sflocal wrote: »

I don't get your hate for Yosemite.  I'm curious what your lingering "real" issues are with Yosemite.  I think Apple is doing the right thing by not supporting older OS'es.  Heck, as far as I'm concerned, it would be the equivalent of Microsoft being expected to support WindowsXP right now too.  Not going to happen.  Adapt and move on or stay stuck in your outdated OS slumber.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved Snow Leopard. It was (for me) rock solid and everything worked.  Upgraded to Lion and it was a world of hurt, things broke - even on clean install - and had to buy a new laser printer because my "old one" was no longer supported by HP for Lion.  I was p****d off for a long time.  

Yosemite has been awesome for me.  Best OS update yet.  Zero issues on it from my side.  

So I'm really curious about your stance on it.  What system-issue is preventing you from getting on the wagon?

It's rock steady for me too. From 10.10.1.
    mobius wrote: »

Or

Hmmmm...

Look. Root access is overblown. You give all non-Mac store non-sandboxed apps admin access. Anyway.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member

I can see a lot of people, even some I didn't expect to be, bashing Yosemite, for various different reasons... Some are legitimate, like those experiencing bugs which, like Slurpy said, will ALWAYS be present in software.

With the 10.10.3 update, Yosemite is now rock-solid, and solves the majority of issues people experienced. I've already deployed it to several Yosemite Mac's we have at work, and the owners have come back saying all their issues are gone, and that speed has improved. Which brings me to my next response to people claiming it slowed their machines down, again, bullshit. I had two identical 2011 MBP's side-by-side, one with Mavericks 10.9.5, the other with Yosemite 10.10.3, both freshly minted via USB installations onto blank drives. The Yosemite rig booted faster, responded quicker, and ran smoother. The only thing I can see Yosemite having issues with vs Mavericks on the other machine is certain translucent animations being a bit choppier on Yosemite, but not a deal breaker by any means.

The others going on about the look of it, and some because of the new Photos app... To those screaming they won't upgrade because of the new look, get over yourselves. The same bullshit arguments were made about iOS 7 when it launched, and now, looking back at iOS 6 and older, how the hell did we ever get by with them? The OS is clean, crisp, and vibrant.

I've found people to be highly resistant to changes of any kind, but we're not talking Microsoft's wholesale change methodology of screwing with a proven OS UX and dumping a steaming pile of horse dung onto its users! The changes in OS X Yosemite were mostly just "skin deep", and the addition of tons of features and security enhancements to the back-end negate ANY argument against upgrading to it!

As for the Photos app, like someone here already said, you're not tied to it, there are plenty of alternatives available. Using that as a bullet point against upgrading is quite frankly adolescent and foolish.

• Reply 56 of 102
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    There are two things that strike me about this, the first is that bearing in mind my 2007 iMac runs Yosemite, I can understand why Apple will not support older versions of OS X. It is unfortunate for people with machines that cannot be updated, but they have to draw a line somewhere I suppose!

The second one is, the whole reason I moved over to OS X in 2007 was that Windows Vista had a totally put me off buying another Windows machine. This was compounded with what they subsequently managed to do with Windows 8, making the changes that Apple have made in Yosemite seen minor in comparison.

Whilst Windows 10 seems to be getting good reviews, I would worry that the next version after that would be another dogs dinner, whereas with OS X, I don't have that fear.
  • Reply 57 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Nope.  This is dealing with the desktop OS.  So if anything, it would be compared to Windows which as far as I'm concerned I would never use for my day-to-day computing needs.  

The only time I use Windows is for gaming and using Word. Other than that I pretty much stay away.

• Reply 58 of 102

I do want to ask for those that are using it, what is the consensus on the new Photos app? Pros? Cons?

• Reply 59 of 102
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why? People running obsolete software on obsolete hardware with no intention of upgrading are dead to Apple as customers. What is Apple’s obligation to these types and for how long? Forever? It’s a business, not a religion or social contract.

I'd hardly call Mountain Lion or Mavericks obsolete. The only thing making them so is Apple's rather arbitrary policy. I don't think apple has ever left a previously fully supported OS in a crippled state like this before. Not even fixing back 1 rev (they've usually done at least 2) is very un-Apple like.

Then there's the fact that Jony Ive doesn't know his elbow from a tea kettle in the interface design world. Hard to blame anyone for digging in their heels.

• Reply 60 of 102
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I'd hardly call Mountain Lion or Mavericks obsolete. The only thing making them so is Apple's rather arbitrary policy. I don't think apple has ever left a previously fully supported OS in a crippled state like this before. Not even fixing back 1 rev (they've usually done at least 2) is very un-Apple like.

Then there's the fact that Jony Ive doesn't know his elbow from a tea kettle in the interface design world. Hard to blame anyone for digging in their heels.

I like Jony Ive just fine as an industrial designer. As a person in charge of UI and graphics, he himself has said he has little interest in that area. That is a significant issue that cannot simply be waved away as if it didn't exist, which is another reason for concern regarding Yosemite.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/daily-news/2014/10/jony-ive-graydon-carter-new-establishment-summit

I'm critical of Apple when it comes to things I think are important and need to be addressed, full stop.

Does Jony Ive need a stronger internal advocate at Apple for UI and graphics? All signs point to "yes" in my book. I know how political fights can overshadow and detract from serious areas of concern in large companies and if Jony lacks a significant challenger, it is easy to lose perspective.