Apple Watch Edition initially limited to 53 retail outlets worldwide

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Consumers who want to purchase a gold Apple Watch Edition --?or those who simply want to see it in the flesh --?may need to travel a bit if they live outside of the world's major cities, as Apple will initially stock the device at just 53 locations worldwide.

In the U.S., supplies will be limited to stores on the coasts and in Chicago --?aside from the Windy City, Las Vegas is the farthest inland the gold models will travel. The data comes from Apple's online store finder, and was first noted by MacRumors.

Other U.S. outlets include three of New York's six stores; two in the Bay Area; three in Los Angeles; and one each in Boston, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Miami, Tyson's Corner, Newark (Delaware), Houston, Dallas, and Seattle.

Apple's new department store spaces in London (Selfridges), Paris (Galeries Lafayette), and Tokyo (Isetan) bring those cities to three locations apiece. In China, the Edition will be available at every Apple Store in Hong Kong along with 12 of 19 locations on the mainland.

A full list of stores is below:

U.S.:
  • New York City - Fifth Avenue, SoHo, Upper West Side
  • Boston - Boylston Street
  • Chicago - North Michigan Avenue, Lincoln Park
  • Philadelphia - Walnut Street
  • Washington DC - Georgetown
  • Atlanta - Lenox Square
  • Miami - Lincoln Road
  • Virginia - Tyson's Corner Center
  • Newark, Delaware - Christiana Mall
  • Bay Area - San Francisco, Stanford
  • Los Angeles - The Grove, Third St. (Santa Monica), South Coast (Costa Mesa)
  • Las Vegas - Fashion Show
  • Houston - Highland Village
  • Dallas - Northpark Center
  • Seattle - Bellevue Square
UK:
  • London - Covent Garden, Regent Street, Selfridges
Canada:
  • Toronto - Eaton Centre
  • Montreal - Sainte-Catherine
Australia:
  • Sydney - George Street
  • Brisbane - MacArthur Chambers
  • Melbourne - Southland (Cheltenham)
France:
  • Paris - Carrousel du Louvre, Opera, Galeries Lafayette
Germany:
  • Berlin - Kurfurstendamm
  • Munich - Rosenstrasse
Hong Kong:
  • Festival Walk
  • International Finance Centre (IFC)
  • Causeway Bay
Japan:
  • Tokyo - Isetan, Ginza, Omotesando
  • Osaka - Shinsaibashi

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Atlanta is not a coastal city.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

*whew*  Thank goodness it's available in San Francisco!  I was getting worried for a moment... /s

• Reply 3 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Atlanta is not a coastal city.

But it is in a coastal state.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Does this mean I can't order mine online?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Does this mean I can't order mine online?

I'm thinking that most people interested in purchasing the Edition would want to try it out first?

But I guess there are plenty of people who either want to turn around and resell it at a profit, or don't have to think about dropping $10k+ on something they might not even like...

• Reply 6 of 26
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

How am I supposed to choose between Covent Garden, Regent Street and Selfridges on Oxford Street?

• Reply 7 of 26
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Surprised the edition is not going to be shown at the Apple Store in Irvine.

Missing out on the wealth in OC.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Don't worry the wealthy can afford the helicopter trip to Santa Monica Apple Store.

• Reply 9 of 26
    This is a first in many ways, a mix of fine jewelry and mainstream electronics/software. Nice to see Apple staying ahead of the pack :) Who else could pull this off?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    It sounds like they think the Edition will do well in China.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    richl wrote: »
    How am I supposed to choose between Covent Garden, Regent Street and Selfridges on Oxford Street?

Whichever one is easiest to get to.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

• Los Angeles -South Coast (Costa Mesa) is in Orange County (upscale compared to Irvine too)

I hope they accept cash and have a big safe.

• Reply 13 of 26

Chinese buy gold for investment. I'm unsure of the gold weight on a watch. This is the value it is based on only for investment purposes.

Let alone the re-sell value, one year we see maybe iWatch2, 10years time do we think ios20 would support iWatch 1.  Wise and safe is to just buy cheapest within reason for full functions.

Gold model offers nothing more, personally Apple missed the mark here except trying to make it harder for western people to try and  buy, but in China it's almost every store has. I wonder if they made even fake gold samples as testers, as this would of been better.

Few hours to go before can even go take a look.

• Reply 14 of 26
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

South Coast Plaza = OC

(reread the list on the same line as Los Angeles)

• Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

I hope they accept cash and have a big safe.

Spam Sandwich wants to buy one with Bitcoins /s

• Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

• Los Angeles -South Coast (Costa Mesa) is in Orange County (upscale compared to Irvine too)

Wealth-wise Irvine is much more upscale than Costa Mesa but not as much as Newport Beach, however both Fashion Island and the Spectrum are smaller stores, and South Coast Plaza is a more accessible store although possibly not as safe walking back to your car with your $10K Apple shopping bag.

I bought my iMac 5K there and they have a concierge service where you drive around to the back and they put in your car for you.

• Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wealth-wise Irvine is much more upscale than Costa Mesa but not as much as Newport Beach, however both Fashion Island and the Spectrum are smaller stores, and South Coast Plaza is a more accessible store although possibly not as safe walking back to your car with your $10K Apple shopping bag.

I was comparing malls, South Coast vs. Spectrum, and believe that South Coast has the superior stores (Gucci, Prada, Tiffany, De Beers, Fendi). It's a few miles closer to wealth centers like Newport Beach. No one wants to live in Costa Mesa or Irvine.

Just stop and get a bag from H&M.

• Reply 18 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Looks like the main locations include these:

http://www.mapsdata.co.uk/portfolio-items/map-world-millionaires-bilionaires/

I don't think they'll make more than 100,000 units of the Edition version to maintain exclusivity so under 2,000 units per store. Given the ordering process and for security, the stores probably won't hold more than a few at a time.

If they sold the top Apple Watch to every millionaire worldwide (12 million of them), they'd make more revenue than they currently make from all their other products but not by much ($204b vs $183b).

That's the problem with the Edition model, if they made even 1 million of them, they aren't exclusive enough to command the premium price.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

It's a few miles closer to wealth centers like Newport Beach. 

How can Costa Mesa be closer to Newport Beach than Newport Beach itself. You do know that Fashion Island is in Newport Beach right? And that it is also closer to Laguna Beach, the real wealth center, than South Coast Plaza is. The Newport Beach Apple Store is closer to the major OC wealth residential areas, but it is too small and has poor access from the parking areas. I agree SCP is a better location but not for the same reasons you do. SCP is more centrally located in OC, has better access and is a larger store. And BTW, I live in Irvine and like it very much thank you.

• Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's the problem with the Edition model, if they made even 1 million of them, they aren't exclusive enough to command the premium price.

I don't believe the Apple Watch necessary needs exclusivity with regard to the number of units produced to sell well. Lots of wealthy people buy similar cars as they don't want to be seen in anything lesser.