Tidal music service expected to relaunch with exclusives that could hurt Apple's Beats Music

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

What quality is 24-bit?  Is that true lossless audio?

Lossless is either lossless or it isn't. Lossless only means there is no loss of information from the source.

• Reply 22 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    I read the title then the artists then chuckled at the silly title. I have never liked Kanye. Madonna no longer worthy of my money. Daft Punk I have not listened to. So, when Jay Z has at least one artists I cannot live without, i will not be moving my music listening time from my iPhone and iTunes Radio. This means, good luck Z and keep on living the dream. You have made history!!!!!
    I read a longer article about this a few minutes ago. There are a few other artists who have indicated they may offer Tidal some exclusive content, including Coldplay, Nicki Minaj and of course Beyonce.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I read a longer article about this a few minutes ago. There are a few other artists who have indicated they may offer Tidal some exclusive content, including Coldplay, Nicki Minaj and of course Beyonce.

These artists are probably getting rates far and above the normal services, or they may be getting an upfront plus a higher per play rate just to build an audience. Like Twitter, this service will lose many millions right off the bat.

• Reply 24 of 33
    vartvvartv Posts: 10member
    Signed up for the 30-day free trial of the HiFi tier. Though the audio does sound a bit "brighter" than Spotify's 320k bitrate, for most folks, it's NOT worth the money for most listening situations...
  • Reply 25 of 33
    vartvvartv Posts: 10member
    Signed up for the 30-day free trial of the HiFi tier. Though the audio does sound a bit "brighter" than Spotify's 320k bitrate, for most folks, it's NOT worth the money for most listening situations...
  • Reply 26 of 33
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    When I was young, back in the 60s and 70s, music was very important to me. I bought a lot of albums and listened to them often on my pretty good home stereo. Now that I'm almost seventy, i rarely listen anymore. Wish I knew why. I still appreciate current music, and buy it on iTunes sometimes. But the idea of sitting down and listening to an entire album is long gone. Has the ubiquity of music undercut its specialness? Has my taste for great fidelity been spoiled by ear buds? Or has a too long life left me with the feeling that nothing is really new anymore—that I've heard it all (or something much like it) before? It really perplexes me.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

When I was young, back in the 60s and 70s, music was very important to me. I bought a lot of albums and listened to them often on my pretty good home stereo. Now that I'm almost seventy, i rarely listen anymore. Wish I knew why. I still appreciate current music, and buy it on iTunes sometimes. But the idea of sitting down and listening to an entire album is long gone. Has the ubiquity of music undercut its specialness? Has my taste for great fidelity been spoiled by ear buds? Or has a too long life left me with the feeling that nothing is really new anymore—that I've heard it all (or something much like it) before? It really perplexes me.

It's rare to find something really new in music that is surprising and exciting, but the same goes for filmmakers, authors, etc.

• Reply 28 of 33
    cgs268cgs268 Posts: 55member
    Tidal is still the same product that Jay Z bought. There have been no changes to it. All I hear is that Jay Z wants to make more money. It's really shameless. He bought this product, stuck a forced ideology that makes no sense (apart from the "I want to make more money" bit) and now he's flogging it?

Also, the iOS app is still crap and their web player only works with Flash!! unbelievable. They couldn't even be bothered to work on these for the "relaunch".
    I mean, no equalizer on an app which boasts sound quality? what???

Beats, the stage is all yours, please dazzle us with your offering.
  • Reply 29 of 33

20 dollars a month is not worth it I will stick with google music for the time being no complaints yet there and its been almost two years. 

• Reply 30 of 33
    Jay-Z's copycat strategy likely has a puppeteer Samsung. However the value is much lower than beats because Jay-Z isn't a 1/10 as brilliant, hardworking, and talented as any one from the beats/itunes team: Dre, Iovine, Reznor...
  • Reply 31 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Jay-Z's copycat strategy likely has a puppeteer Samsung. ..

The money behind it is coming from Softbank, the owners of Sprint.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Don't be perplexed. Vinyl is still here and sitting down and listening to an entire album is NOT long gone.  Top artists are releasing new music to vinyl and many young people are discovering the medium. Go to Instagram for example and search the hashtags #turnttable or #vinyl and you will see how popular it is. For me, the convenience of digital music and streaming and the ability to listen anywhere is great, but it also made me forget how fun and special it was to sit and relax and listen to actual vinyl or CD on a quality hi-fi system. If you still have your records, you can get a great turntable nowadays that are ready to play right out of the box for about $300, cartridge included! Check out Rega and Pro-Ject and you'll see what I mean. Take those buds out of your ears and rediscover listening.  Rediscover your music. You'll discover what's old is new again and sounds better than before!