Apple sunk $38M on Apple Watch TV ads since March, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

There's something about every new product introduction by Apple that brings out the worst of the worst. I've come to the conclusion that these people are a bunch of losers who have a hard time dealing with someone else's success. It's as though someone else doing well diminishes them. It happened with the iMac, then the iPod, then the iPhone, then the iPad, and now the AppleWatch. Pathetic.

But we know what the outcome will be, a couple of years from now.

I heard Nilay Patel was on CNBC this morning trashing the Watch but the anchors were having none of it and pushing back. Good. Someone needs to put that arrogant douchebag in his place.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    rogifan wrote: »

I heard Nilay Patel was on CNBC this morning trashing the Watch but the anchors were having none of it and pushing back. Good. Someone needs to put that arrogant douchebag in his place.

What's a really laughable is that the average commenter on The Verge -- whose IQ typically seems to equal his age -- constantly berates Patel saying he's an Apple tool! :lol:
  • Reply 23 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's a really laughable is that the average commenter on The Verge -- whose IQ typically seems to equal his age -- constantly berates Patel saying he's an Apple tool! :lol:

How in the world anyone can call that site iVerge is beyond me. They are so NOT pro-Apple it isn't even funny. On their Vergecast they actually questioned why someone would want maps on their wrist. Well douchebags, maps on your wrist with walking directions and haptic feedback could actually be quite useful. But my guess is these guys don't do a lot of walking outside of their bubble. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 24 of 27
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    rogifan wrote: »

How in the world anyone can call that site iVerge is beyond me. They are so NOT pro-Apple it isn't even funny. On their Vergecast they actually questioned why someone would want maps on their wrist. Well douchebags, maps on your wrist with walking directions and haptic feedback could actually be quite useful. But my guess is these guys don't do a lot of walking outside of their bubble. :rolleyes:

Tbh, it bothers me when Tim Cook approvingly quotes The Verge in his keynotes sometimes. TV has always struck me as a well-produced, but somewhat low-quality tech site (the opposite of AI).
  • Reply 25 of 27
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

I think that they are realising that this initial release will be, by Apples standards, a flop. It will be the most functional, and best selling smartwatch out there, but will sell well under initial forecasts and well under what the market expects from Apple. Why else will they be selling by appointment only if not to up conversion of interest into sales.

Steve Jobs's greatest gift was to know when the masses were ready for a product and what that product needed to deliver in order to create excitement in the population at large. Without Jobs at the helm, Apple seem to have jumped into this market a year too soon IMO.

• Reply 26 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    nairb wrote: »
    I think that they are realising that this initial release will be, by Apples standards, a flop. It will be the most functional, and best selling smartwatch out there, but will sell well under initial forecasts and well under what the market expects from Apple. Why else will they be selling by appointment only if not to up conversion of interest into sales.

Steve Jobs's greatest gift was to know when the masses were ready for a product and what that product needed to deliver in order to create excitement in the population at large. Without Jobs at the helm, Apple seem to have jumped into this market a year too soon IMO.

I don't think it'll be a "flop", although I agree it's probably too early. Another year or two and processing power and battery life will be where they need to be. Either way, it's selling now.