Apple Store goes down ahead of Apple Watch preorders

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple took down the Online Apple Store late Thursday night as the company made preparations for what is expected to be an onslaught of Apple Watch preorders.

Apple's online storefront is scheduled to open up for Apple Watch preorders at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, 3:01 a.m. Eastern on Friday. Earlier today, Apple announced that initial Apple Watch orders would be limited to online sales, expecting huge demand for its first foray into wearables.

"We are excited to welcome customers tomorrow and introduce them to Apple Watch, our most personal device yet. Based on the tremendous interest from people visiting our stores, as well as the number of customers who have gone to the Apple Online Store to mark their favorite Apple Watch ahead of availability, we expect that strong customer demand will exceed our supply at launch," said Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts. "To provide the best experience and selection to as many customers as we can, we will be taking orders for Apple Watch exclusively online during the initial launch period."

Pricing starts at $349 for Apple Watch Sport, while the stainless steel Apple Watch version ranges from $549 to $1,099. Solid gold Apple Watch Edition models start at $10,000.

Following in-store previews and preorders, both of which kick off today, Apple Watch is slated to ship on April 24 to brick-and-mortar Apple Store locations and specialized boutiques including colette in Paris, Dover Street Market in London and Tokyo, Maxfield in Los Angeles and The Corner in Berlin and select Apple Authorized Resellers in China and Japan.

Those planning to buy an Apple Watch when the Online Apple Store returns at midnight can prepare by taking a look at AppleInsider's preorder guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    The iTunes iOS Store also seems to be down at the moment
  • Reply 2 of 48
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    Bring it on! Got my dial-up internet logged in and ready to go!
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Wow, they really know how to build excitement by shutting their online store!
  • Reply 4 of 48

And now the waiting game...

• Reply 5 of 48
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Can't sleep anyway - Jet lag.

• Reply 6 of 48
    xzuxzu Posts: 139member

Wasting so much time, waiting for a watch. Ironic.

• Reply 7 of 48
    tylerdtylerd Posts: 33member

This might actually break the internet.

Does anyone know if they will ship my watch to Korea? Perhaps if I mark it as a gift? I don't want to wait until I get back to the US, but I assume that I will have to....

• Reply 8 of 48

5... 4... 3... 2...

• Reply 9 of 48
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

REFRESH REFRESH REFRESH REFRESH 

• Reply 10 of 48
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    Still offline
  • Reply 11 of 48

4 minutes late already... do the iPhone preorders usually start on time?

• Reply 12 of 48
    Well, its 0305 here in the east coast and the Apple Store online is still down........tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic and the waiting continues
  • Reply 13 of 48
    ailowailow Posts: 8member

Done and Done! (His & Hers) via the iOS Apple Store App.

(Website is still down).

• Reply 14 of 48
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Got my order in at 12:02 PST using the Apple Store app on my iPhone
  • Reply 15 of 48
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Still with the We'll be Right Back page! WT???
  • Reply 16 of 48

Just got my Apple Watch using the iPhone App and Apple Pay.

Go get it boys and girls.

Good Luck to all...

• Reply 17 of 48
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Is back up and my orders are in :)
  • Reply 18 of 48

What......?! Says Black/Black 'Available to Ship: June'?

What the.....

Add: Ordered the 38" Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop instead; will deliver 4/24 - 5/8. 

• Reply 19 of 48
    Bought my wife the sport, pink, small size via iPad. I tried buying via my MacBook Pro but it still shows store down. I used Apple ID no problem. Whole thing took 10 seconds.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Got my order in at 12:02 PST using the Apple Store app on my iPhone

great- how long to delivery 4-6 weeks?