Ousted HP CEO Carly Fiorina calls Apple's Tim Cook a hypocrite for stance on Indiana law

Comments

• Reply 361 of 394
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Public criticism of the Apple CEO seems an appropriate subject for Ai to report on. It's not like they report "rumors from the far East that possible presidential candidate Fiorina might have said something not so nice about some group of Americans have surfaced".

Tim Cook's personal politics are mutually exclusive from Apple business, so this is not Apple-related "news". The author of this article chose to hide behind the anonymous "AppleInsider Staff" moniker to write a hit piece and avoid revealing their personal politics on what is supposed to be an Apple/tech-related news site.

• Reply 362 of 394
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Oh, sorry, I should have realized you were stuck on that question. No, I don't think all Christians are bigots, but I think the ones championing these bull**** "religious freedom" laws from the comfort of their legally protected position in society are total bigots. And hypocrites. And generally all around worthless meat sacks.

Wow. Throw out differences of opinion and civility toward different beliefs, and rip out the throats of anyone who doesn't meet your approval. Great job breaking off your chain, buddy! 

• Reply 363 of 394
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zapf Brannigan View Post

Wow. Throw out differences of opinion and civility toward different beliefs, and rip out the throats of anyone who doesn't meet your approval. Great job breaking off your chain, buddy! 

Differences of opinion do not cover supporting this kind of law. Differences of opinion, generally speaking, cover civil disagreements over preferences. Once it turns into "preventing a different type of people from living their life freely in the way they choose", for example "preventing Jewish people from running a business in nazi Germany" (point clear enough?), it's not a difference of opinion, it's an attempt at stifling freedom.

Please go attempt that in the Islamic State, maybe, I hear they quite have the state of mind to approve of it.

• Reply 364 of 394
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:

Religion is a CHOICE.  These hypocritical "Christians" slam gays for wanting "special rights" when it is they themselves who enjoy a special, legally protected status in society.  I'm sick and tired of this bogus "war on Christians" and these stupid, treasonous laws that try to chip away at the SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE.  No one is stopping anyone from practicing his or her chosen religion.  But we do NOT live in a religious state.  Business serves the public good.  If you go into business, you leave your judgmental religious beliefs at home.  You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.  The same bogus excuses were used decades ago to justify segregation.

• Reply 365 of 394
    Quote:

Differences of opinion do not cover supporting this kind of law... etc, etc.

I was addressing the tone that robbyx has taken towards those opinions/believes that do not jive with his own... ie. "worthless meat sacks"... seriously?? There is nothing civil about that. Funny how "progressives" love to throw around vilifying terms like "bigotry", "hate mongering", etc., but often will be completely nasty towards anyone with an opposing point of view. 

But thank you for using my observation about the comment - NOT this article's opinion piece - as another opportunity to plug your activist opinions some more!

• Reply 366 of 394
    Quote:

I was addressing the tone that robbyx has taken towards those opinions/believes that do not jive with his own... ie. "worthless meat sacks"... seriously?? There is nothing civil about that. Funny how "progressives" love to throw around vilifying terms like "bigotry", "hate mongering", etc., but often will be completely nasty towards anyone with an opposing point of view. 

But thank you for using my observation about the comment - NOT this article's opinion piece - as another opportunity to plug your activist opinions some more!

About the precise words used, I actually agree with you. However, it is always a very difficult thing to characterise people who want to remove freedoms from others because of their own beliefs without getting slightly carried away. "Worthless meat sacks" is not correct, but "humans sporting scandalously outdated thinking and total lack of care for others' rights" might suit you better.

Love you too.

• Reply 367 of 394
    Quote:

Sorry, I personally believe that anyone who tries to cement discrimination into law is a worthless meat sack.  Maybe you're just offended because you want to live in a country that reinforces your desire to discriminate?

• Reply 368 of 394
    Quote:

Religion is a CHOICE.  These hypocritical "Christians" slam gays for wanting "special rights"... etc., etc.

What scientific evidence do you have that a religious person can mentally separate themselves from their beliefs? Is there scientific evidence that homosexuals can mentally separate themselves from their sexuality? Talk about hypocrisy. LOL

• Reply 369 of 394
    Quote:

Sorry, I personally believe that anyone who tries to cement discrimination into law is a worthless meat sack.  Maybe you're just offended because you want to live in a country that reinforces your desire to discriminate?

He's not worthless, he tries to argue back instead of using weapons. While misguided, he deserves as much "human-respect" as any of us.

It is a bit sad, though, that he forgot that the main teaching of Christ is love unto others... not "discriminate unto others".

• Reply 370 of 394
    Quote:

What scientific evidence do you have that a religious person can mentally separate themselves from their beliefs? Is there scientific evidence that homosexuals can mentally separate themselves from their sexuality? Talk about hypocrisy. LOL

Maybe a few classes in biochemistry, psychology and neurosurgery might help answer this question? I'm woefully inadequately armed for this level of discussion ;)

• Reply 371 of 394
    Quote:

How many people covert from one religion to another every year?  How many gay people switch teams?

Religion is 100% a choice.  That doesn't make it easy to separate oneself, especially when one has been brainwashed since birth to believe in Santa Claus for Grownups.  But believing in one fantasy myth or another, or choosing to believe nothing at all, or, my favorite, not caring because no one has any way of knowing (so why not be a good, fair and ethical person because it's the RIGHT thing to do, not because you're scared of a sky wizard)...these are ALL choices.

• Reply 372 of 394
    Quote:

..."humans sporting scandalously outdated thinking and total lack of care for others' rights"....

You're confusing your personal opinions with the nature of a free market society. If freedom and concern for "anyone else's rights" are truly an issue, shouldn't Apple refuse to do business in Saudi Arabia?

• Reply 373 of 394
    Quote:

You're confusing your personal opinions with the nature of a free market society. If freedom and concern for "anyone else's rights" are truly an issue, shouldn't Apple refuse to do business in Saudi Arabia?

1- what makes you think Apple doing business with SA doesn't make it more open? Closing business would then be damaging to freedom.

2- in the same line as your question...  If freedom and concern for "anyone else's rights" is not truly an issue, shouldn't you go live in Saudi Arabia? They share your concerns about homosexuals.

?Also, you know... It's not a "free market society". It's a free society that happens to currently function pretty well as a free market. Reducing it to a "free market society" is a very weird tendency of far right wing activists (and right wing Fox news anchors, but they're "far right wing" to the rest of the world anyway).

Do you by any chance work for Fox?

• Reply 374 of 394
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    robbyx wrote: »
    How many people covert from one religion to another every year?  How many gay people switch teams?

Religion is 100% a choice.  That doesn't make it easy to separate oneself, especially when one has been brainwashed since birth to believe in Santa Claus for Grownups.  But believing in one fantasy myth or another, or choosing to believe nothing at all, or, my favorite, not caring because no one has any way of knowing (so why not be a good, fair and ethical person because it's the RIGHT thing to do, not because you're scared of a sky wizard)...these are ALL choices.

You know nothing if you think people act a certain way because they're scared of the 'sky wizard'.
  • Reply 375 of 394
    Quote:

Religion is 100% a choice.... + extraneous snark

How many homosexuals take years to come to the realization that they are in fact gay? Obviously you've never met someone who got married, had kids and then realized years later that they only ever had the desire to be with someone of the same sex. I've known people in that situation personally. By comparison, some people may take years to realize that they agree with the tenets of one religion more than another. Your presumptions about religion are misguided, and disrespectful toward religious people. A better argument can be made when you're civil about differences of opinion... so far you're failing miserably.

• Reply 376 of 394
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    How many homosexuals take years to come to the realization that they are in fact gay? Obviously you've never met someone who got married, had kids and then realized years later that they only ever had the desire to be with someone of the same sex. I've known people in that situation personally. By comparison, some people may take years to realize that they agree with the tenets of one religion more than another. Your presumptions about religion are misguided, and disrespectful toward religious people. A better argument can be made when you're civil about differences of opinion... so far you're failing miserably.

No, they take years to finally embrace the fact that they are. They got married, and had kids because of family, and peer pressure. There isn't a sudden epiphany, or revelation.
  • Reply 377 of 394
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You know nothing if you think people act a certain way because they're scared of the 'sky wizard'.

A lot do.  I've heard multiple Christians say things like "why not believe it, just in case?"  That's fear.  I'm not saying that all people of faith come to their faith via fear, but fear is the strong stick to go along with the carrot of eternal life.  Just watch a few TV preachers.  It's mostly fear.

• Reply 378 of 394
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Ah but which "beliefs"? The ones that demand death be meted out to those working on Sunday (or the Sabbath of choice)? The ones wearing a polyester blend? What if the offer for their daughter's virginity is deemed to low? Must they immediately stone the bidder or can they contract that out?

Lot's of religious people separate themselves from their sexuality. Roman Catholic Priests?

And show me where in any Bible there's anything about denying pizza to anyone? While there most certainly IS about stoning to death violators of the Sabbath. How's your throwing arm?

• Reply 379 of 394
    Quote:

1- what makes you think Apple doing business with SA doesn't make it more open?

...blah, blah... 

Do you by any chance work for Fox?

Obviously, the fact that Saudi Arabia as a society that is extremely oppressive towards women is apparently completely lost on you. And Tim Cook clearly isn't nearly as bothered by clitoridectomy as he is about gay rights, thus "personal politics" and thusly, this article is an anonymously written opinion piece.

I get where you're coming from, though: anything that does not jive with your narrowly focused activist beliefs are automatically part of the "far right wing", and should justly (and unimaginatively) be disparaged as "Fox news participants". LOL

• Reply 380 of 394
    Quote:

I've known a few people who have come out later in life.  And they all had one common thread.  RELIGION.  They stayed in the closet, denied their truth for years, struggled, and lived a lie for decades BECAUSE of religion.  You're an utter fool if you think someone just one day decides that he or she just isn't really a heterosexual after all and switches teams.  It's only when these people finally free themselves from the oppressive, discriminatory and hateful anti-gay bigotry fueled by their "faith" that they finally come out.