Ousted HP CEO Carly Fiorina calls Apple's Tim Cook a hypocrite for stance on Indiana law

1141516171820»

Comments

• Reply 381 of 394
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No, they take years to finally embrace the fact that they are. They got married, and had kids because of family, and peer pressure. There isn't a sudden epiphany, or revelation.

Agreed.  But let's be honest  It's religiously-inspired peer pressure.  I have yet to meet a gay person who came out later in life but grew up in a household/environment that viewed gay people as equals.  It's only the people who grew up in oppressive, fear-driven religious households/communities that feel this kind of peer pressure.

• Reply 382 of 394
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zapf Brannigan View Post

Obviously, the fact that Saudi Arabia as a society that is extremely oppressive towards women is apparently completely lost on you. And Tim Cook clearly isn't nearly as bothered by clitoridectomy as he is about gay rights, thus "personal politics" and thusly, this article is an anonymously written opinion piece.

I get where you're coming from, though: anything that does not jive with your narrowly focused activist beliefs are automatically part of the "far right wing", and should justly (and unimaginatively) be disparaged as "Fox news participants". LOL

Well, I expect two good things came out of this.

1- you obviously care about the status of women, good for you.

2- you understand that Fox views might not be entirely "truth".

As for the rest, you seem to have difficulty separating "fact" from "personal guess", my dear. Come to my street's gay bar someday, I'll get you a drink <3

• Reply 383 of 394
    Quote:

There isn't a sudden epiphany, or revelation.

Yes, societal pressure is definitely a factor in a lot of cases. And inasmuch as I wouldn't suggest that any/all face a "sudden epiphany", there are a lot of homosexuals who just don't recognize that they're actually gay, and it may take years to come to the realization. Point being that the seed of the person is/was always there, in the same way that people don't change religions or their beliefs on a whim as one ignoramus suggested.

• Reply 384 of 394
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    robbyx wrote: »

A lot do.  I've heard multiple Christians say things like "why not believe it, just in case?"  That's fear.  I'm not saying that all people of faith come to their faith via fear, but fear is the strong stick to go along with the carrot of eternal life.  Just watch a few TV preachers.  It's mostly fear.

Anybody that finds God in fear is not a true believer. Nobody finds God, he finds us, and good deeds are done to show thanks, not to find favor.
  • Reply 385 of 394
    Quote:

Yes, societal pressure is definitely a factor in a lot of cases. And inasmuch as I wouldn't suggest that any/all face a "sudden epiphany", there are a lot of homosexuals who just don't recognize that they're actually gay, and it may take years to come to the realization. Point being that the seed of the person is/was always there, in the same way that people don't change religions or their beliefs on a whim as one ignoramus suggested.

Societal pressure?  Give me a break.  RELIGIOUS pressure.  There's only one source of anti-gay bigotry.  Religion.  If anything, society is opening up to gay people and there's less pressure to deny one's truth.  The sole source of such pressure these days is religion.  But I appreciate your acknowledgement that gay people are born that way ("the seed of the person is/was always there" = "born that way") even if you're not willing to acknowledge that RELIGION is the reason they choose to live falsely for years in an attempt to be accepted as heterosexual.

You're utterly wrong that religion is there from the start, though.  Kids believe with 100% certainty that Santa Claus is real.  Why?  Because everyone tells them he is from day one.  And society supports and encourages the myth.  I remember one kid in my grade school class whose parents told her Santa Claus wasn't real from day one.  She was just as certain that he was a fantasy as the rest of us were certain that he was real.  If you start early, you can make people believe anything.

As for not changing on a whim, what about when you marry someone of a different faith and convert?  So, you were wrong all along until you met Mr./Ms. Right and now you need to change your fundamental belief system in order to get married?  Must not have meant that much to you in the first place.

• Reply 386 of 394
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

1- you obviously care about the status of women, good for you.

As for the rest, you seem to have difficulty separating "fact" from "personal guess", my dear. Come to my street's gay bar someday, I'll get you a drink <3

1. You obviously put a lot more weight on Tim Cook's personal politics than women's rights. Awesome! Bigotry comes in many flavors, personal beliefs and political stripes, and at least in your case a remarkable inability to separate your own opinions from facts and reality.

You, Tim Cook, a burka wearin' Muslim lady and a religious baker of your choice should all get together at your favorite local gay bar (OR sports bar, you guys get to decide amongst yourselves) for a drink or three. If you're lucky, maybe Carly Florina will be your server. Count me out, I'll be enjoying the weather. 

• Reply 387 of 394
    Quote:

Anybody that finds God in fear is not a true believer. Nobody finds God, he finds us, and good deeds are done to show thanks, not to find favor.

Were believers like you the majority, we'd have a much better society.

• Reply 388 of 394
    robbyx wrote: »

Were believers like you the majority, we'd have a much better society.

Any Christian that doesn't know that really needs to find a better church. :lol:
  • Reply 389 of 394

Come to think of it, every epiphany is sudden. ;)
  • Reply 390 of 394
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Societal pressure?  Give me a break.  RELIGIOUS pressure... etc.

Understood, Robby Pants. You're bigoted against religion, and can't separate your presumptions and disposition from societal realities, let alone the tenets of religious beliefs/practices. You see? Bigotry does exist in many shapes and forms, races, religions, sexuality and political stripes. Believe it or not, you can have a difference of opinion without vilifying them and getting nasty about it. Unless of course, you're only capable of being an antisocial jerk. It's counter productive to torch an entire orchard just to save a handful of nuts. Live and let live.

I hope the weather is nice wherever you're at; it definitely is here. I'm going to go out and enjoy it.

• Reply 391 of 394
    Quote:

Understood, Robby Pants. You're bigoted against religion, and can't separate your presumptions and disposition from societal realities, let alone the tenets of religious beliefs/practices. You see? Bigotry does exist in many shapes and forms, races, religions, sexuality and political stripes. Believe it or not, you can have a difference of opinion without vilifying them and getting nasty about it. Unless of course, you're only capable of being an antisocial jerk. It's counter productive to torch an entire orchard just to save a handful of nuts. Live and let live.

I hope the weather is nice wherever you're at; it definitely is here. I'm going to go out and enjoy it.

I don't consider myself bigoted.  I definitely think religion is silly, but I don't believe anyone should be prevented from believing whatever he or she wants, even if I think it's absurd.  I value freedom and the right to chose to live one's life as one sees fit.  I don't believe anyone has the right to shove his or her belief system down someone else's throat, nor do I believe that someone's chosen belief system magically rises above everything else and serves as a legitimate reason to restrict the rights and freedoms of others.

You might not care for my tone, but I have no problem vilifying anyone who seeks to hide behind his or her chosen faith in an effort to vilify and discriminate against others.  You might want to give people like this a pass (because, I suspect, you're one of them), but I won't.  And if that hurts your feelings, that's your problem.

I answered an earlier post where someone asked me if I thought all Christians were bigots because I had written "Christian bigots" in another post.  I responded that I do not, but that I think ones that use their faith to discriminate against others are "worthless meat sacks", and you got your panties in a nice tight bunch over that.  And here you are, still arguing with me, so I'm left to believe only one thing.  You are the type of Christian who DOES use his faith as an excuse to discriminate.  Otherwise you would have had no problem with my clarification as I clearly stated that I do NOT believe that all Christians are bigots, just the ones who support these thinly veiled attempts at cementing discrimination into law under the guise of protecting "religion freedom".

• Reply 392 of 394
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

I don't consider myself bigoted.  I definitely think religion is silly...  I value freedom and the right to chose to live one's life as one sees fit.  I don't believe anyone has the right to shove his or her belief system down someone else's throat... etc.

It would do you a world of good to do some soul searching... you're remarkably short of self-awareness. And it'll take a lot more than what you have to offer to hurt my feelings; my self worth is definitely not bent around the comments of a blog post.

I don't have a problem calling a spade a spade, either. ;) 

• Reply 393 of 394
    Quote:

It would do you a world of good to do some soul searching... you're remarkably short of self-awareness. And it'll take a lot more than what you have to offer to hurt my feelings; my self worth is definitely not bent around the comments of a blog post.

I don't have a problem calling a spade a spade, either. ;) 

Nor do I.  So what's your problem?  You keep attacking me but you don't really respond to anything, nor offer any points of substance.  Just personal attacks.

I think Christians (and anyone else) who use their religion to codify discrimination into law are horrible people.  And I think people of faith who accuse gays of demanding "special rights" when THEY THEMSELVES have special rights are total hypocrites.  That's where all this started.  Since you don't have a problem calling a spade a spade, why don't you stop dodging issues and actually make a point?  What have I said that is so offensive to you?  The fact that I called people who use faith as a reason to discriminate "worthless meat sacks"?  So what?  You support using faith as a reason to discriminate?  What exactly is your problem?  Or point?