Apple Watch orders will be online-only during launch period due to strong demand

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 170
    tonton wrote: »
    The 38mm is definitely too small for my wrist.

Thanks for the informative post. Do you happen to know the circumference of your wrist? Mine is around 190mm, which puts me in the range for either the 38mm or 42mm Milanese Loop band. Kind of torn between the two.

I think my wrist is about the same. If I were you I'd choose the 42mm.

For reference, I'm average build, 5'10" and 185lb.
  • Reply 162 of 170
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apparently, you've never been to Paris. There are always dozens of (typically Japanese) tourists lined up around the block from the flagship LV store on Champs Elysses: http://m8.i.pbase.com/g4/25/480025/2/133264428.lK7Q8c07.jpg

In fact, in other cities too, like Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Asian people don't know style. They line up to buy a brand that used to make cargo box and luggage and called it style.

• Reply 163 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Apple charges restocking fees. I imagine they will be hefty on the watch considering constrained supply.

Stocking fee? You must be in Samsung store.

• Reply 164 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

My sense they expect demand will probably outstrip supply in the short term, as it does for most Apple products in the weeks following their introduction, and particularly for this product, with the number of variants they will have to keep in the pipeline. What I see as being different here is the hand of Angela Ahrendts as the new head of Apple Retail. She seems to be determined to smooth out this introduction and match as many potential buyers up with product as readily as possible, without the sidewalk circuses that accompanied the last few of them. Honestly I don't think Steve cared much if it looked like the Apple moonies were prepared to scratch each other's eyes out to be first to own the newest tech toy from Apple. Maybe he found that to be exciting, or it stroked his ego. I don't know. But what I do know is Apple is a more grown-up company under Tim Cook. I suspect one of the reasons he hired Ahrendts was for her to transform buying a new Apple product into a more civilized experience. If it works out, this should turn into a permanent change in the way Apple conducts its retail operations. Personally, I am all for it.

Angela Ahrendts...(what kind of last name is that btw?) actually fcks up bunch of Chinese scalpers...lol.

• Reply 165 of 170
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Angela Ahrendts...(what kind of last name is that btw?) actually fcks up bunch of Chinese scalpers...lol.

I think it's a German name. And it doesn't stop scalpers, it just replaces physical scalpers with online scalpers, who sell their preorders on ebay.

• Reply 166 of 170
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

My sense they expect demand will probably outstrip supply in the short term, as it does for most Apple products in the weeks following their introduction, and particularly for this product, with the number of variants they will have to keep in the pipeline.

What I see as being different here is the hand of Angela Ahrendts as the new head of Apple Retail.

She seems to be determined to smooth out this introduction and match as many potential buyers up with product as readily as possible, without the sidewalk circuses that accompanied the last few of them.

Honestly I don't think Steve cared much if it looked like the Apple moonies were prepared to scratch each other's eyes out to be first to own the newest tech toy from Apple. Maybe he found that to be exciting, or it stroked his ego. I don't know. But what I do know is Apple is a more grown-up company under Tim Cook.

I suspect one of the reasons he hired Ahrendts was for her to transform buying a new Apple product into a more civilized experience. If it works out, this should turn into a permanent change in the way Apple conducts its retail operations.

Personally, I am all for it.

Excellent response, now that I have read it.

I would also add, that contrary to most of the previous introductions which were primarily launched ONLY in the USA, and which received considerable consternation that it created with the rest of the world, this rollout is not only far more civilized. Both for the consumer and all the people that help to fill it.

As we have seen in the past new product introductions, the store lines are getting longer. And for this one, just how long would it take to address each and every customer if they had more than 4 dozen to choose from. 

As the adage goes, the more choices you have the longer it takes to make a decision. And often, the wrong one or none at all. Upsetting yourself and the persons in line behind you.

• Reply 167 of 170
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I think my wrist is about the same. If I were you I'd choose the 42mm.

For reference, I'm average build, 5'10" and 185lb.

I'm a lot taller than you but also a lot thinner. Pretty much the classic ectomorphic body type. My wrists are skinny like the rest of me.

I threw caution to the wind and preordered the 42mm, hoping for a try-on appointment before the ship date to confirm.

• Reply 168 of 170
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

Excellent response, now that I have read it.

I would also add, that contrary to most of the previous introductions which were primarily launched ONLY in the USA, and which received considerable consternation that it created with the rest of the world, this rollout is not only far more civilized. Both for the consumer and all the people that help to fill it.

As we have seen in the past new product introductions, the store lines are getting longer. And for this one, just how long would it take to address each and every customer if they had more than 4 dozen to choose from. 

As the adage goes, the more choices you have the longer it takes to make a decision. And often, the wrong one or none at all. Upsetting yourself and the persons in line behind you.

The other old adage is, the more expensive the decision, the less time we expend on making it. Realtors and car salespeople know that one all to well.

• Reply 169 of 170
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Media already saying and hinting that Apple artificially throttled supply.  

This is why some of us are pissed off when 'Apple Fans' say that Apple is probably throttling supply for marketing purposes.  It pisses me off that even Apple fans can't give Apple credit for making a great product.  They sound like the ass clowns on TV who say the only reason the Watch sold out was because Apple made so few of them.

This is not about tolerance and openness.  This is about a group of Wall Street manipulators and Apple haters who are spreading myths to discredit Apple's greatness.  Saying that Apple is using Marketing tricks to artificially build up hype and demand is the same as saying Apple does not believe in their product.  If you are going to make that type of accusation you better bring some SOLID proof to the table.

I am with you on this. I hate that every Apple product launch they blame apple for not making enough. Well is hard when everybody wants it at the same time. I don't think that that apple makes to little supply, they just have to much demand! It is what it is. You want it now be the first in line. If you weren't than sorry, be earlier next time.