Aperture, iPhoto disappear from Mac App Store following Photos debut

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    jmc99jmc99 Posts: 6member

I'm switching to the Photos app but I worry about syncing everything in the cloud. Does anyone know how the photos in the cloud are backed up? Are my photos saved in more than one location? What happens if there is a hard drive glitch or crash in the cloud? What happens if by some stroke of bad luck my photos in the cloud disappear though no fault of mine. If somehow my photos disappear in the cloud, will I loose them on my computer as well if they sync and my computer thinks it should delete everything? This is a concern I have!

• Reply 22 of 107
    jmc99jmc99 Posts: 6member

On the topic of slideshows and photos ... I dont know about Aperture but I used to be able to view slideshows on Apple TV via iPhoto very easily through home-sharing. I could shuffle photos in and iPhoto album and have a music playlist playing. We did that all the time! Now with Photos I cannot view photos from my computer via Homesharing on Apple TV. The option has disappeared from the Apple TV menu altogether. 

• Reply 23 of 107

You can learn more about this here:  http://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Software/Capture-One/Features.aspx ; Click on organize and select. 

• Reply 24 of 107
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestAppleFan View Post

I will miss Aperture too. But I found a great alternative if a bit more pricy. Capture One Pro by Phase One is coming on strong and has a very robust set of tools. It is also a program you can purchase thank God. I'm no fan of the subscription model that Adobe is using.

You can purchase programs from Adobe without a subscription. I never cared for Aperture. Lightroom has always been miles ahead. 

• Reply 25 of 107
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sedney View Post

Aperture works just fine still on mine ;) 

Same here.  Either give us details, please or tall tales are being made up.

• Reply 26 of 107
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    iPhoto and Aperture should continue to keep working in Yosemite. Apple has said this. There was even a recent update to iPhoto, after the announcement that it was being discontinued. Support in future OS versions is what is being discontinued. iPhoto still works fine on my computer and I will keep using it until some of the missing features are added in Photos.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JMC99 View Post

I'm switching to the Photos app but I worry about syncing everything in the cloud. Does anyone know how the photos in the cloud are backed up? Are my photos saved in more than one location? What happens if there is a hard drive glitch or crash in the cloud? What happens if by some stroke of bad luck my photos in the cloud disappear though no fault of mine. If somehow my photos disappear in the cloud, will I loose them on my computer as well if they sync and my computer thinks it should delete everything? This is a concern I have!

Yes, if they get deleted from the cloud, they will be gone from all of your devices.  When you sign up for Photos, Apple tells you to backup your photos yourself.

Photos is an improvement over iCloud Drive.  If you delete a photo, Apple puts it in a deleted folder where it remains for 40 days. It will even tell you how many days left until deletion.

But trust me, that's not a substitute for a legitimate backup.  Last fall I had all my contacts deleted from iCloud. Poof. Gone. From 6 devices. No explanation.  I talked to the highest level of technical support at Apple...No clue how it happened. Luckily I found an old Time Machine backup that had most, but not all, of my contacts.

Apple is storing your data on massive servers that can't be scanned like an old school hard drive. If your stuff gets deleted accidentally from iCloud, whether its your fault or their fault, there is very little chance you can recover anything.

• Reply 28 of 107
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

You can purchase programs from Adobe without a subscription. I never cared for Aperture. Lightroom has always been miles ahead. 

Where? All I see is sub pricing on their site.

• Reply 29 of 107
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    jmc99 wrote: »
    Very sad to see iPhoto fade away. Homesharing photos from you Mac to AppleTV no longer works if you download the new Photos app. The option to view photos from your computer on Apple TV goes away. iCloud Photos is the only option to view photos but it is slow and worst yet, I can no longer play a slideshow from an album from my mac on Apple TV. The whole reason I got Apple TV. Very disappointed.

jmc99 wrote: »

You are not going to lose your pictures if there's a hard drive crash in the cloud. There are all sorts of redundant storage implemented in iCloud. However, it's mo guarantee that you are not going to lose some or all of your pictures. One example that comes to mind is if your account is hacked. Another one is if you make a mistake and accidentally delete a certain photo. I would suggest making a copy of your library and keeping it off site.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    jackansi wrote: »
    Photos app is garbage... crashed so many times just trying out the sharing feature.  Now I have shared albums in my list with 0 photos and I can't delete the album or add photos to them without the app crashing (won't work with even a single photo).

What is with this x.0 beta crap Apple has been putting out lately?

Cool story bro. Been running Photos since the beta on 3 machines and not a single crash, ever. It's not a x.0, they're been refining it for months. But no, of course it couldn't be your fault, your machine, or configuration, it has to be Apple's fault and their "crap" software. Please, switch to another operating system if you think what they develop is such garbage.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Where? All I see is sub pricing on their site.

Regular pricing without monthly plans for their software is somewhat hidden on Adobe's site. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_mostpopular.html

With Lightroom for example, you click on buy and it gives you upgrade pricing or full version pricing. You can also buy boxed versions of Lightroom 5 on Amazon and other retailers. 

Here is a link if you are interested in Photoshop:

https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?start=10

• Reply 32 of 107
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Confirming that both Aperture and Photos are running just fine with the following configuration:

OS X 10.10.3

MacBook Pro

Early 2008 model

15 inch 

Model Name:    MacBook Pro 

Model Identifier:    MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:    2.4 GHz

Number of Processors:    1

Total Number of Cores:    2

L2 Cache:    3 MB

Memory:    6 GB

Bus Speed:    800 MHz

Boot ROM Version:    MBP41.00C1.B03

• Reply 33 of 107
    djkfisherdjkfisher Posts: 130member

Yes!

• Reply 34 of 107

It was not much anyway :( Not to worry, just use Lightroom which is a real photo program :)

• Reply 35 of 107

It was not much anyway :( Not to worry, just use Lightroom which is a real photo program :)

• Reply 36 of 107

Running is one thing< operating as a photo program is another...

Just use Lightroom which is a real photo program :)

• Reply 37 of 107
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    jackansi wrote: »
    Photos app is garbage... crashed so many times just trying out the sharing feature.  Now I have shared albums in my list with 0 photos and I can't delete the album or add photos to them without the app crashing (won't work with even a single photo).

What is with this x.0 beta crap Apple has been putting out lately?

...Release the Adobe Trolls!!
  • Reply 38 of 107
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member

Never mind...

• Reply 39 of 107
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    ash471 wrote: »

Yes, if they get deleted from the cloud, they will be gone from all of your devices.  When you sign up for Photos, Apple tells you to backup your photos yourself.
    Photos is an improvement over iCloud Drive.  If you delete a photo, Apple puts it in a deleted folder where it remains for 40 days. It will even tell you how many days left until deletion.
    But trust me, that's not a substitute for a legitimate backup.  Last fall I had all my contacts deleted from iCloud. Poof. Gone. From 6 devices. No explanation.  I talked to the highest level of technical support at Apple...No clue how it happened. Luckily I found an old Time Machine backup that had most, but not all, of my contacts.
    Apple is storing your data on massive servers that can't be scanned like an old school hard drive. If your stuff gets deleted accidentally from iCloud, whether its your fault or their fault, there is very little chance you can recover anything.

So your saying Apple has never heard of RAID?... Please save us the FUD and broad sweeping allegations about cloud storage... It's just not helpful... But I guess that is your intention.
  • Reply 40 of 107
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member

Photos is crap. It wastes your entire screen by displaying whitespace everywhere, and you can't even do the most basic things like sort your albums by date either ascending or descending. I literally just can't wrap my head around how anyone could possibly think emasculating iPhoto was a good idea. And I don't even use Aperture! It must be 10 times worse for those users!