Update your Mac: Apple fixes major flaw in OS X Yosemite, but won't patch Lion, Mountain Lion or Mav

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

The OS upgrade is "free" only in the sense of how much you pay out of pocket. There are other costs associated with changing an OS.

Hardware-wise, little to no hardware enhancements are needed to support Yosemite, unless you have a really old Mac... The majority of software that ran on Mavericks and Mountain Lion still run properly on Yosemite, or have received patches to make them compatible.

Only very specific software or hardware present users with issues moving to Yosemite. The majority of Mac users have no issues going to it.

• Reply 82 of 102
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I call BS on a fix for pre-Yoseshite versions being too complex to patch. We're talking about a company who built the Mac, the iPhone, the iPad, so much amazing software, with more money and resources than any company in the history of the world. And they're unable to provide a patch to hundreds of thousands of loyal users just because it's a little complex?! What a crock of s***! I've stuck with you since1997 but now you decide you can't be assed to help us. There are a bunch of reasons people aren't ready, able or willing to upgrade to Yoseshite and to say otherwise just shows how ignorant you are of the needs of your customers.
  • Reply 83 of 102
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    robbyx wrote: »
    I've had no serious issues with Yosemite. I don't find it any slower than Mavericks either. I'm impressed with Photos so far. It's significantly faster than iPhoto and the UI is cleaner and more logical. So far I'm not missing anything from iPhoto. Photos is much snappier and I like the iCloud photo library option.

Same here. Flawless installation, as usual, and the new Photos app is a dream to work with.

I think everyone has a right to complain, but I always think that if 1% of the use base is unhappy then you will hear (constant) complaints from that single per cent. The other 99% will carry on humming along without saying anything. That's human nature.

Apple has been moving towards being a consumer company for years, so stop acting like this a big surprise.

If you don't like the new Apple then move on to something else. No one is holding you hostage. You've had plenty of time to find alternatives.
  • Reply 84 of 102
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

It's good to see people who are happy with Yosemite in every way because my personal experience has been more mixed. I know over 120 Mac users and while the jury is out on the UI changes in Yosemite, there is a unanimous verdict that it's slower than previous versions of the OS. There are unmistakable delays in basic functions that simply weren't there before, delays that can't be eliminated no matter how much of the new eye candy is disabled.

I think some of the UI changes are a definite improvement and there are lots of useful new features, but that little bit of UI lag is like a grain of sand in your shoe.

• Reply 85 of 102
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    mobius wrote: »
    I call BS on a fix for pre-Yoseshite versions being too complex to patch. We're talking about a company who built the Mac, the iPhone, the iPad, so much amazing software, with more money and resources than any company in the history of the world. And they're unable to provide a patch to hundreds of thousands of loyal users just because it's a little complex?! What a crock of s***! I've stuck with you since1997 but now you decide you can't be assed to help us. There are a bunch of reasons people aren't ready, able or willing to upgrade to Yoseshite and to say otherwise just shows how ignorant you are of the needs of your customers.
    The fact is that Apple did fix pre-Yosemite versions of OS X. The fix is free. The fix is OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite.

We are all free to accept the fix or to reject it. If you reject it, however, then it is on you. The fact that you may have an excuse for rejecting the fix notwithstanding.
  • Reply 86 of 102
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Amazing to me how proud some are to be running obsolete, unsupported software for questionable reasons.

• Reply 87 of 102
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I'd hardly call Mountain Lion or Mavericks obsolete. The only thing making them so is Apple's rather arbitrary policy. I don't think apple has ever left a previously fully supported OS in a crippled state like this before. Not even fixing back 1 rev (they've usually done at least 2) is very un-Apple like.

Then there's the fact that Jony Ive doesn't know his elbow from a tea kettle in the interface design world. Hard to blame anyone for digging in their heels.

Let them dig their heels in all they want. It’s their choice to leave their system vulnerable when a patch is available. They are also free to move to a more secure operating system if they can find one.

• Reply 88 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiao-zhi View Post

So you think Snow Leopard is more secure?  

You seem to be using the internet so you might want a reality check of that.

Are you also running Windows XP on Boot Camp by any chance?

According to this Appleinsider article (which is where I get most of my worldly knowledge) this particular problem started in Lion. So that's one issue I've licked. I can't upgrade on at least one of my machines, so I'm just trying to see the upside.

On the second question ... HECK NO! If I infected my Macs with Winblows, I would promptly carry them outside and huck them in the creek!

• Reply 89 of 102
    According to this Appleinsider article (which is where I get most of my worldly knowledge) this particular problem started in Lion. So that's one issue I've licked. I can't upgrade on at least one of my machines, so I'm just trying to see the upside.
    If you read the source article, the author says that he knows it works at least as far back as Lion, because that's how far back he tested. He didn't test Snow Leopard, so whether it works there is unknown.

At any rate, Snow Leopard has been officially unsupported since late last year, which means it's probably full of other security flaws that haven't been patched by now. You really should upgrade your Mac.
  • Reply 90 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Wow, just wow, from the sounds of things, you pulled that bovine excriment right out of your posterior, because it sounds to me like you've never even tried using Yosemite on a non-Retina display. I run Yosemite on 2011 MBP's, 27" Thunderbolt displays, and various non-Apple displays, and guess what? The icons, type faces, and Accessibility options, all work and look great, and just as legible and usable as pre-Yosemite. Same thing with non-Retina iOS devices. Use the right Accessibility tweaks, and the system legibility is actually SUPERIOR to pre iOS 7 versions. How do I know this? Because I've setup a LOT of older users who poor eyesight on iOS 8, and configured the options for them, and they love it!

Are you fucking kidding? You think Apple has reached a crisis point with their software?! Are you daft?! Probably... Their software has never been more sophisticated in their history! Why would ANY company support a depreciated, obsolete OS, when a newer, better, faster, fully-supported, FREE upgraded version is available to the masses?!

Yup, I think we got another up-tight, hissy-fit-throwing troll here folks... Damn, my block function has been pulling double-shifts at this site lately!

This person refuses to believe my experience, calls last year's OS obsolete, and then announces that he is blocking me.

If you can't handle hearing someone's opinion, why would you hang out on a message board?  I'll leave it up to the rest of you to judge whether or not iOS 8 on a retina display is in any way comparable to Yosemite on a non-retina display when it comes to legibility.

• Reply 91 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

This person refuses to believe my experience, calls last year's OS obsolete, and then announces that he is blocking me.

If you can't handle hearing someone's opinion, why would you hang out on a message board?  I'll leave it up to the rest of you to judge whether or not iOS 8 on a retina display is in any way comparable to Yosemite on a non-retina display when it comes to legibility.

I haven't yet blocked you, and did receive this little nugget from you in a PM, because apparently you're a bit too cowardly to say it in public:

Quote:

Your response is pathetic.  Refusing to believe someone who has a different experience from you is incredibly immature.

You call accessibility a non-issue because you've configured iOS 8 for some octogenarians?  What does that have to do with Yosemite on a non-retina display?

You should pay closer attention to what you are reading, and spend less time thinking of how you're going to respond.  It's obvious that you don't listen.

I refuse to believe someone whom I can prove, at the drop of a hat, to be full of crap. I've been using Mac's and iOS devices for a LONG time, and I've witnessed the progression of the Accessibility options in both. I know the options available, their impact, benefits, advancements and regressions. I have setup many such Mac's and iOS devices for users with various impairments with eyesight, as an example, and have been able to get both platforms to behave exactly to their liking, above and beyond what was possible with the older platforms.

There is NOTHING you can say to me that will change my stance on this matter. And knowing what I know about the two platforms reassures me of my position, and the fact you don't have a leg to stand on.

And next time, post your comments in public, so others here may judge for themselves, not throw them my direction in a PM.

• Reply 92 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

The moment a new OS is released with new and/or enhanced features, better security, and support for new technologies, everything before it technically becomes obsolete in the world of IT, so the statement is valid.

• Reply 93 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know the technical reasons why it's too complex to patch older versions? No, so stop trying to make yourself look like someone who knows something about this situation, when in reality, you, and no one else outside of Apple's engineering teams, know anything. No one knows what level of patching is required in the older versions of OS X in order to solve this, and also whether the API's in question will break older software that use them after they've been patched. This can often lead to MASSIVE headaches for IT departments who not only need to patch older machines, but then start troubleshooting why all of a sudden software that runs on them becomes unstable.

Also, proceeding to call Yosemite "Yosemeshite" just makes you look like a ranting looney. Yosemite 10.10.3 is one of the most rock-solid OS X versions I've used in the last several years, so please educate yourself before bashing a product that isn't anywhere near to what you call it.

• Reply 94 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

It's good to see people who are happy with Yosemite in every way because my personal experience has been more mixed. I know over 120 Mac users and while the jury is out on the UI changes in Yosemite, there is a unanimous verdict that it's slower than previous versions of the OS. There are unmistakable delays in basic functions that simply weren't there before, delays that can't be eliminated no matter how much of the new eye candy is disabled.

I think some of the UI changes are a definite improvement and there are lots of useful new features, but that little bit of UI lag is like a grain of sand in your shoe.

Agreed... On older machines, such as my 2011 MBP, certain UI animations are a bit slower / choppier than they were in Mavericks. However this is to be expected, as Apple updates the graphics engine of OS X to take advantage of newer hardware, and thus occasionally sacrifice the performance on older machines. On anything 2013 or newer, I've found Yosemite every bit as snappy as Mavericks and before.

Besides, let's not forget the dog of an OS X version called Lion. That was probably their WORST version of OS X in a while, as everything on that version ran like a total dog... Compared to that, everything is better now!

• Reply 95 of 102
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Upgrading to Yos can be a significant performance hit for those with older C2D Macs.
    If the user has to enter their password for this malware to get control, I see little problem for many users, including us.
  • Reply 96 of 102
    Good on you Darryn Lowe - your ignorance is worthy of the most rabid fanboi. My perfectly functioning mid-2007 iMac struggles with Yosemite (I updated and used for 2 weeks before rolling back) and there arn't any new items in the update that materially improves my use of the machine. Ah.... except now there is this huge bogeyman that means I have to update and possibly predicate the purchase of a new machine when I finally get fed up with the sluggishness. Nice one Apple - way to look after your customers. Looks like I will have to roll back even further.

I also wonder how tech companies can get away with this kind of behaviour - if there is an issue that fundamentally affects the operational safety of pretty much ANY other device there are massive recalls and often damages or fines.

I comfortably use 3 different systems - this kind of behaviour does push me towards other alternatives for my next purchase when finally forced into it.
  • Reply 97 of 102
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Seriously, those railing on the new system and refusing to move to it are missing out on heaps of benefits. So Photos doesn't live up to some people's expectations. Whoopdeedoo. It's not like there's no other options for them.

The security and performance benefits alone are a great reason to upgrade. The fact it's FREE to do so shouldn't even be a reason to not upgrade.

Frankly you deserve to  have someone gain root access to your machine.

Performance benefits?? Snow Leopard boots, shuts down, and operates faster on my MacBook Pro 5,5 from an external USB hard drive than 10.9.x does from the internal drive on the same machine (even with 8GB of RAM). Has the performance of OS X improved over 10.9?? From what I've heard here on this forum, OS X continues to get slower and more bloated and Yosemite is slower than all prior versions. Free isn't meaningful when your computer downgrades in performance. I love the features in 10.9, but it's slow. There's nothing in 10.10 I need or want, it's uglier on non-retina machines, and it's reportedly slower. I see no benefits at all other than this dumb security flaw.

Was that their way of securing the API, making it undocumented? :-p
  • Reply 98 of 102
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    magman1979 wrote: »

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know the technical reasons why it's too complex to patch older versions? No, so stop trying to make yourself look like someone who knows something about this situation, when in reality, you, and no one else outside of Apple's engineering teams, know anything.
    Oh look, you answered your own question. I do not, but "anyone else" is a pretty big slice of the world so I'd say they may well do. What I do know is that this issue boils down to money, not complexity. There is no financial gain to diverting resources to fixing Mavericks or older builds and, therefore they will not do it. I refuse to believe it cannot be done. I say this purely on the pedigree of programming excellence that this company has earned over many decades, and the resources they have at their disposal. There is probably more engineering talent at Apple than any other company. Ever since Steve died its mantra to always focus on great products and great customer experience seems to have fallen by the wayside.
    No one knows what level of patching is required in the older versions of OS X in order to solve this, and also whether the API's in question will break older software that use them after they've been patched.

That may be true, but security is more important. If it breaks older software then that is up to the manufacturers to patch.
    This can often lead to MASSIVE headaches for IT departments who not only need to patch older machines, but then start troubleshooting why all of a sudden software that runs on them becomes unstable.
    The same can be said of upgrading all their machines to Yoseshite. This may in fact be even more troublesome due to the larger changes that the upgrade brings with it.
    Also, proceeding to call Yosemite "Yosemeshite" just makes you look like a ranting looney.
    Not really. It succinctly describes what I think about the product.
    Yosemite 10.10.3 is one of the most rock-solid OS X versions I've used in the last several years, so please educate yourself before bashing a product that isn't anywhere near to what you call it.

It may be rock solid for you. And that's great. I'm happy for you - I really am. But how does your satisfaction help me or all the other complaints I am reading from so many sources about how Yoseshite has broken their Wifi, slowed down their machine, causing hangs and general instability problems. Not to mention issues with the GUI which are not entirely down to personal preference. When the GUI changes also negatively affect productivity because the system font is less clear on non retina Macs, and the flattening of all the UI elements and general iOS-ification slow you down because they are so jarring to look at. Then you have a problem.

I think you are the one who needs educating.

You sound like you are taking negative criticism of Apple personally. I have been a proud Apple fan for nearly 20 years so I can totally understand this point of view. But I also have an opinion, and I think it is a valid one.

Answer me this: what about the countless number of people with pre-Yosemite machines who do not follow tech journalism, and do not wish to upgrade their machines. They may not have a clue about software security. That's probably one of the main reasons they got a Mac in the first place - because, on the whole, you don't need to worry about that as much as you would on a Windows machine. Well, those people are now going to be more vulnerable. They won't know about this security hole. What about them?
  • Reply 99 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

I haven't yet blocked you, and did receive this little nugget from you in a PM, because apparently you're a bit too cowardly to say it in public:

I refuse to believe someone whom I can prove, at the drop of a hat, to be full of crap. I've been using Mac's and iOS devices for a LONG time, and I've witnessed the progression of the Accessibility options in both. I know the options available, their impact, benefits, advancements and regressions. I have setup many such Mac's and iOS devices for users with various impairments with eyesight, as an example, and have been able to get both platforms to behave exactly to their liking, above and beyond what was possible with the older platforms.

There is NOTHING you can say to me that will change my stance on this matter. And knowing what I know about the two platforms reassures me of my position, and the fact you don't have a leg to stand on.

And next time, post your comments in public, so others here may judge for themselves, not throw them my direction in a PM.

There are other online communities where I expect this kind of behavior.  AI wasn't one of them.  It's truly sad to see how degenerate the state of discourse has become.  This person's vitriol stems entirely from the fact that I don't like the Yosemite experience on my hardware.

I hope, for everyone's sake, that the "Banned" tag on this user's profile is accurate.

• Reply 100 of 102
    Yosemite is the most unstable version of OS X I've ever used, and I've been using OS X since 2001. Random reboots occur several times a week. Every day my machine now reboots several times during cold start, 3-5 times, before it successfully boots. And now when I shut down, almost every day it will restart instead of actually shutting down.

This all started the very day I installed Yosemite. When I boot back into Mavericks everything is fine.

Just the random reboot thing is bad enough. I wish I had never "upgraded", this version of OS X is pure beta garbage. If you haven't installed Yosemite yet, don't let Apple try to scare you into it with security horror stories of events so unlikely that you're more likely to be struck by lightning first. Stick with whatever pre-Yosemite version of OS X you're currently using, because I guarantee it's more stable.