Aperture, iPhoto disappear from Mac App Store following Photos debut

Comments

• Reply 41 of 107
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Cool story bro. Been running Photos since the beta on 3 machines and not a single crash, ever. It's not a x.0, they're been refining it for months. But no, of course it couldn't be your fault, your machine, or configuration, it has to be Apple's fault and their "crap" software. Please, switch to another operating system if you think what they develop is such garbage.

Apple has completely betrayed their own design philosophies the last couple years. Lately I HAVE been contemplating the eventual move away from Apple because of how much they've pulled the rug out from under their loyal users. I had been an Apple apologist my entire life, but now it bothers me how prevalent the line is that Apple can do no wrong.

• Reply 42 of 107
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member

Another crappy program by Apple. Gosh, why can't they make great software? (OS's aside).

• Reply 43 of 107
    Photos app is totally not useful for pro users. It took from me along time to organize 25000 photos in aperture and it is not easy to familiarize myself with a new pro software. It is really difficult to rely on apple softwares. They are abandoning the pro users with every update. Their main concern is to make a good experience for iOS users. For this reason they made the photos app looks like the one on iOS devices.

Can anyone recommend a good pro software without subscription model?
  • Reply 44 of 107
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    zroger73 wrote: »
    "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away."

Oh, for the Love Of Jobs! Don't get Apple and The Almighty confused!

????
  • Reply 45 of 107
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member

I don't understand the obsession with the cloud.

There are useful applications, but my personal photos have no business being hosted on Apples servers.

But when I want to use my Apple TV to stream my photos to my TV I have to save the photos in the cloud.

I don't mind if Apple offers this option to those that don't mind but why do they remove an option

that was working perfectly for the rest of us?

• Reply 46 of 107
    Photos is not good. Any changes made to images in iPhoto such as time and date have been lost. Does not allow geotagging anymore. And the whole interface is very user unfriendly obviously designed by someone that doesn't work professionally with images. IPhoto still works but the map feature per image doesn't appear. In short. A total disaster. Don't update to Photos if you have to work with iPhoto and Photoshp. Also, Photos is just a way to get you to pay for photo storage on iCloud. It's a con
  • Reply 47 of 107
    My Aperture is still working fine. I can't figure out how Photos works. Tried to get started in it and there was nowhere I could import a library. And I didn't want to go to cloud storage at $20 a month given what I've already spent on storage and backup. Now, if Apple would double or triple the memory allotments at each price point for the cloud storage, it could yet become a viable alternative. In my dreams, Apple would serve up reasonable amounts of storage, Photos would work and work well with third party applications and I could round-trip to Capture NX-D for mission-critical stuff. But I doubt those things will happen.

Probably I will switch to Capture One, as it is the closest in terms of UI to Aperture. But while its editing tools are very advanced indeed, I don't think it's quite as far along in DAM as Aperture.
  • Reply 48 of 107

I trying to determine whether to place Apple at the top of the list of worst application development companies in the world, or just second worst. 

Apple has done it again with Photos. iBooks suck, as does Pages, Numbers, iMovie. Now Photos has my vote. I organized iPhotos by Event, and created Projects or Albums based on slideshows. Events were critical as the event names gave me historic information like when a where the events took place.

Now all EVENT information is gone. Every bit of work I put into organizing via Event is gone.

This is piece of shit software in the worst possible way. 

• Reply 49 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolbolize View Post

Photos app is totally not useful for pro users. It took from me along time to organize 25000 photos in aperture and it is not easy to familiarize myself with a new pro software. It is really difficult to rely on apple softwares. They are abandoning the pro users with every update. Their main concern is to make a good experience for iOS users. For this reason they made the photos app looks like the one on iOS devices.

Apple is not abandoning Pro users. They are abandoning all users. For Apple, functionality of software is not even an attribute they consider. As I review Apple's approach to software development, looking at how they want you to develop software in Swift. Design of the user interface is their first step in development. NO NO NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO. 

Apple needs to fire their entire software development team, likely including Jony Ive. Anyone who places design over functionality needs to be canned. 

• Reply 50 of 107
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Photos has to be the single most infuriatingly disappointing product I've ever seen from Apple. I wouldn't really care if not for the fact that its release coincides with the abandonment of Aperture, which is truly a superior product. Also, I don't buy justifications comparing this to other Apple relaunches of products like Final Cut. In that example, they made it clear to customers that they intended to restore most if not all legacy functionality and they fulfilled that promise within a year. Photos isn't even as good as iPhoto, let alone Aperture. It is such a bare bones product, that I can't imagine it ever evolving to even a shadow of Aperture. Even if it did, at Apple's current rate of software upgrades, it would take them a decade.

Since Photos is nowhere near a suitable replacement for Aperture, from now on I'm going to hold back on installing future OS X updates until I can verify they don't affect Aperture's functionality or performance.
  • Reply 51 of 107
    jmc99jmc99 Posts: 6member

That was one good thing about iPhoto and Photostream. The Photostream photos automatically saved to iPhoto on my computer so even if the Photostream photo was deleted it was still saved safely on my Mac! Really liked that feature.

• Reply 52 of 107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Apple is not abandoning Pro users. They are abandoning all users. For Apple, functionality of software is not even an attribute they consider. As I review Apple's approach to software development, looking at how they want you to develop software in Swift. Design of the user interface is their first step in development. NO NO NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO. 

Apple needs to fire their entire software development team, likely including Jony Ive. Anyone who places design over functionality needs to be canned. 

Your view is a bit extreme to say the least. Microsoft is an example of a company that places functionality (aka "features") ahead of real world utility, design, and usability. If you like this approach, Nadella has a Surface tablet-laptop thingie he'd love to sell you.

• Reply 53 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post

I don't understand the obsession with the cloud.

There are useful applications, but my personal photos have no business being hosted on Apples servers.

The concept is not difficult to understand. Why waste your time worrying about where to store your images and videos, how to manage images that may have been edited different on different devices, how and when to back them up, and how to access them from different devices in different locations and contexts?

Apple is trying to offer a simply solution to this by 1) automatically storing everything in the cloud, 2) making everything visible from every device, automatically propagating all edits and changes to all devices while making these changes reversible, 3) automatically managing the storage of these image collections so that they take up a minimal amount of space on each device unless you explicitly request a full resolution version.

To deny the benefit of such an intelligent, cloud-based platform is silly. The devil is in the details. 

• Value

Apple's pricing for cloud storage is not competitive. I don't mind if they charge a little more than competitors but at least offer comparable storage capacities.

• User Control

Apple's cloud-based image management, in an attempt to simplify things for non-technical users, deprives more experienced users of control. It's nice that they are automating the labeling of images by time and location, but too little control is provided for users to override the default presentation of images and allow them to group and label image collections according to the one thing Apple can't automate: context. A group of images labeled "February 2015 - Miami" is not a suitable 
      substitute for a label such as "Family Reunion 2015". Yes, Apple still lets you create albums which you can label as you wish, but albums are treated as second class citizens and users have limited if any control over how they appear relative to "collections."

• Privacy

Despite years of complaints from users, Apple still refuses to provide even the most basic ability to control the visibility of specific images and videos. The reason why many people cringe at the thought of all their photos and videos being propagated to the cloud and all their devices is that they have no way to segregate or hide content that they'd prefer to keep private from content that they feel comfortable sharing with others. Considering Apple's publicly stated commitment to security and privacy from government snooping it seems ironic that they continue to ignore requests for this type of control.

• Reply 54 of 107

Hhowever this is CS6 not CC

• Reply 55 of 107
    Quote:

Got it in one.  In my opinion Ive should stick to hardware.  The lack of contrast in Yosemite makes my eyes hurt after using it for a while; for the first time in years I'm starting to look hard at Windows.  If MS come up with something worthwhile in Win10, I can see myself making the move.

• Reply 56 of 107
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Photos is crap. It wastes your entire screen by displaying whitespace everywhere, and you can't even do the most basic things like sort your albums by date either ascending or descending. I literally just can't wrap my head around how anyone could possibly think emasculating iPhoto was a good idea. And I don't even use Aperture! It must be 10 times worse for those users!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Apple has completely betrayed their own design philosophies the last couple years. Lately I HAVE been contemplating the eventual move away from Apple because of how much they've pulled the rug out from under their loyal users. I had been an Apple apologist my entire life, but now it bothers me how prevalent the line is that Apple can do no wrong.

*Points to the door*

Please, let it hit you on the way out. The community of Apple users who actually have a brain and don't troll will be better off without you.

• Reply 57 of 107
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ds92jz View Post

Another crappy program by Apple. Gosh, why can't they make great software? (OS's aside).

They do make great software... Logic Pro X, Final Cut Pro X, their iWorks suite is now excellent.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bolbolize View Post

Photos was never meant to be a pro-level application. It was meant to bridge the interface / features / UX between Photos on iOS to the OS X platform for the average Mac consumer.

Lightroom is the pro-level alternative I use, and it's great! While from Adobe, which I cannot stand for many of their policies and bloated software, this particular app is excellent.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by machast View Post

Photos is not good. Any changes made to images in iPhoto such as time and date have been lost. Does not allow geotagging anymore. And the whole interface is very user unfriendly obviously designed by someone that doesn't work professionally with images. IPhoto still works but the map feature per image doesn't appear. In short. A total disaster. Don't update to Photos if you have to work with iPhoto and Photoshp. Also, Photos is just a way to get you to pay for photo storage on iCloud. It's a con

Photos can be used off-line with your local Mac, and doesn't require you to store anything in iCloud, nor force you to purchase any additional storage if you don't want it! In fact, in off-line mode, it can still sync your Photo Stream, and photos can be manually synced to iOS devices via iTunes. Please don't say things you have no clue about.

Quote:

I trying to determine whether to place Apple at the top of the list of worst application development companies in the world, or just second worst. 

Apple has done it again with Photos. iBooks suck, as does Pages, Numbers, iMovie. Now Photos has my vote. I organized iPhotos by Event, and created Projects or Albums based on slideshows. Events were critical as the event names gave me historic information like when a where the events took place.

Now all EVENT information is gone. Every bit of work I put into organizing via Event is gone.

This is piece of shit software in the worst possible way. 

All the apps you listed work just fine, and with time have received MULTIPLE improvements, and many features returned.

Quote:

Wow, we have a winner here folks. Do you work for Google, or Microsoft by chance? Sounds like your philosophies are inline with theirs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Photos has to be the single most infuriatingly disappointing product I've ever seen from Apple. I wouldn't really care if not for the fact that its release coincides with the abandonment of Aperture, which is truly a superior product. Also, I don't buy justifications comparing this to other Apple relaunches of products like Final Cut. In that example, they made it clear to customers that they intended to restore most if not all legacy functionality and they fulfilled that promise within a year. Photos isn't even as good as iPhoto, let alone Aperture. It is such a bare bones product, that I can't imagine it ever evolving to even a shadow of Aperture. Even if it did, at Apple's current rate of software upgrades, it would take them a decade.

Since Photos is nowhere near a suitable replacement for Aperture, from now on I'm going to hold back on installing future OS X updates until I can verify they don't affect Aperture's functionality or performance.

Aperture continues to function on OS X 10.10.3, no one is forcing you to give it up. Please stop being such a drama queen and going off on a tangent before learning the facts. While Aperture is good, it's been bested by other applications on the market for some time now, like Adobe's Lightroom, and Capture One Pro.

Photos is meant to be a "bridge" product between iOS and OS X, to give the average user the same UX for organizing their photos on both platforms. It was never meant to be a pro-level replacement for Aperture. And Apple saw the writing on the wall a long time ago, with Aperture usage steadily declining in the face of Lightroom and Capture One, so they let the professional users go to those apps, and that's OK, as they are good applications.

BTW, your last statement that you're going to hold off on OS X updates because of this is just plain stupid, as it's not preventing you from continuing to use Aperture. Just sad.

• Reply 58 of 107
    I have all my photos in individual folders but Photos doesn't automatically organize them. I just have one giant unorganized album called "All Photos". Do I actually have to go throughout my over 113,000 photos and individually create the albums myself? And even though all my photos are named, Photos displays all their names as "Untitled". Makes it even harder to separate the photos into individual albums. I saw no features which allow me to turn off the music or to set the time for slideshows. For example, I cannot make my slideshows display each photo for 2 seconds each. Oh and yes, the crashes are beyond completely ridiculous. I would expect Photos to be better than IPhoto since it's newer but it looks like Apple took about 20 steps backward with Photos. HATE IT!!!! I want my IPhoto back!!!
  • Reply 59 of 107
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

*Points to the door*

Please, let it hit you on the way out. The community of Apple users who actually have a brain and don't troll will be better off without you.

I'm still not understanding why, in order to use a company's products, you must declare that they are perfect and there is nothing worth changing or reconsidering. I'll admit that Photos did improve performance over iPhoto. But saying that gutting a program for the sake of a marginal speed boost is not a reasonable course of action is brainless? Where does that get you? Again, it puts you right in the camp of those who view Apple as god tier.

• Reply 60 of 107
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member

Apple has been rewriting lots of its software program lately with new versions that are more streamlined, i.e., Photos, Keynote, Pages, Numbers, etc.  So far, they have taken out some features and refined the interface that some like and some don't.  When are they going to rewrite iTunes from scratch?  iTunes is the program that is in most need of a complete rewrite from scratch to get rid of the bloat that it has become.  I really hope a totally new iTunes is on the way, maybe they can just call it "Tunes".