Nearly all Apple Watch retail try-ons are resulting in preorders, Cowen says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

This isn't a popular opinion around here, but to me the ?Watch seems particularly hard to photograph well. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  It just wasn't clear what your opinion was in your previous comment.  Thanks for the clarification.

• Reply 22 of 111
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Agree.  Can't imagine someone buying a Rolex for 10x more money after looking at that picture.  The Watch makes a Rolex look like a relic from the past.

The Rolex IS a relic! Having said that, my dad left me a Rolex Explorer 2, the watch is now about 27 years old. It is still working today without any servicing. I hope to leave it to one of my kids.

Having said that, I ordered the Apple Watch and my biggest fear is that it becomes indispensable and I won't want to wear the Rolex anymore and none of my kids will want it except to sell it.

• Reply 23 of 111
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    Holler out to TADD:
    "3. Can you get the phone's battery level to show on the clock-face along with the time?"

That is not only an excellent question it's an even better idea!!. Thanks for that. Send that one too the Apple team
    Joseph
  • Reply 24 of 111
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
     Is "it" the Rolex or the Apple Watch in your statement?  Looking at the two on his wrist I'm definitely more drawn to the Apple Watch.

I agree. That Rolex looks average at best. The Apple watch looks new and interesting.
  • Reply 25 of 111
    eugeeuge Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tadd View Post

I might have pre-ordered a watch after the scheduled try-on but they would only allow pre-orders on-line so at the end of the demo my wife and I went home.  At the try-on, they did not know the complete set of prices.  They had to go into the menus on an iphone-like-device to find out.  That was pretty tedious.  

I had some questions that the Apple sales people couldn't answer:

1. will there be aftermarket bands for the watch?  Is that something Apple is prohibiting somehow?

2. What does the watch do or say when it goes out-of-range of the cellphone or if the cellphone is powered off?

3. Can you get the phone's battery level to show on the clock-face along with the time?

4. Is the magnet on the Milanese Loop band a danger to credit card magnetic strips in my wallet? 

5. what software support is there for wearing the watch on the other arm?  Does it move the crown-knob to the other side?  

For #5, you can actually see the settings in the demo watches. Go to the Settings app and it's in there somewhere. There are two switches: one lets you choose which arm you prefer, the other sets which side the digital crown is on. So you can set it to be on the right arm, with the digital crown on either the right or left side of the watch. With the proper settings the digital crown will always scroll correctly.

• Reply 25 of 111
    At 2:05 am CDT Friday, I ordered two space gray sports with black bands, one, a 42mm for me and the other, a 38mm for my wife.

We went to the Apple Store at La Cantera, San Antonio, Saturday and tried a few Apple Watches on. We concluded we'd made the right choice for both of us. I tried a Milanese Loop band, and I must say, it is slick and attractive.

My impression was the watches are smaller than photos indicate. The 42 is the perfect size for my wrist and is thinner than I thought it would be. One has to touch these watches and try them on to get any sense of how wonderful they are. The sensation experienced when the Taptic Engine engages is unique and hard to describe, not at all like I thought it would be.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    I think a lot of people will be returning their watch. Went to the apple store, checked out the watch. I'm a big fan of Apple, have ALL their stuff, plus their stock, so I hope I'm wrong on this one:). I found the watch kind of boring. Maybe I just don't get it, but I just don't like the design of the watch case itself, straps are great though. Although I do like minimalist design like that of Movado and apple's latest macbook, which is just gorgeous! The watch I feel lacks detail, I do not see myself wanting one. Even the gold one looks blah.

Seriously considering trading my rMBP 13 for the new MB12, didn't find it slow at all.
  • Reply 28 of 111
    eugeeuge Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razormaid View Post

Holler out to TADD:

"3. Can you get the phone's battery level to show on the clock-face along with the time?"

That is not only an excellent question it's an even better idea!!. Thanks for that. Send that one too the Apple team

Joseph

Though I know a lot of people would want this as an option, personally I would not. I don't want to stress about battery life every time I look at my watch. I have enough to worry about with my phone and laptop. Based on reviews and my perceived usage, I have a feeling I won't have any issue with my watch lasting for the day.

But that's just me.

• Reply 29 of 111
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess."

I'm really amused by analysts. Their techniques are highly unscientific and their conclusions are completely independent from the data they've collected, while this time the news is positive, it's just as arbitrary as always. 

For example, one analyst had suggested that the watch sold out so quickly because Apple had so few. Which is clearly not the case from:

• the number of roll-out countries,

• Apple's experience in launching products and

• Apple's supply chain expansion experience.

?His data source was nothing more than the short time it took for pre-orders to consume launch day stock.

Another suggested that interest is waning because the delivery dates aren't being pushed out even further, but such an idea assumes Apple has fixed capacity to produce the device. When this device is both a smaller production volume and has less parts than their annual iPhone launch. Consumer surveys are revealing a significant demand for the sports model, so an analyst can't even peg a production hamstring on sapphire. His data source was nothing more than the apple store not showing ever-increasing delivery estimates. (Note the iPhone 6 launch also showed fixed dates despite an on-going demand.)

Then there is this report which breezily correlates try-ons with pre-ordering. Despite massive numbers of pre-orders taking place before try-ons were even possible. A much more logical assumption would be that people who have already preordered are over represented in try-on sessions. (Since they are the most interested demographic.) Their data source: asking a needlessly vague question about purchase intent, not to the buyer, but to a 3rd party who may or may not have been given accurate information/any information.

My anecdotal observations on social media show that the try-ons seem to be centred on trying the different bands and a simple confirmation that they preordered the right size/model. However one doesn't need to speculate as much as analysts do - because the try-ons are entirely scripted to picking your band/confirming your size and very little time is spent on the feature sell. A person can't even test the features during a try-on session.

• Reply 30 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

3. Can you get the phone's battery level to show on the clock-face along with the time?

3. No, you can only access battery life in Glances and when charging

I am guessing that's the sort of thing that'll be easily fixed over time with a software update.

• Reply 31 of 111
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am guessing that's the sort of thing that'll be easily fixed over time with a software update.

I assume they'll stick it in the watch face in Complication form eventually.

• Reply 32 of 111

The demonstration effect from people wearing the AppleWatch is going to be huge. We won't really see it take off until this holiday season, and even more so in 2016.

• Reply 33 of 111

Informal poll is right! When the only ones you ask are the salespeople who have a vested interest in making you believe everyone is buying, then this result is no surprise.  "Hurry, they're going fast!" is one of the oldest sales pitches in the world.  If Cowen & Co. thinks their "poll" has any meaning, they're fooling themselves. More likely, they're trying to fool their own clients.

• Reply 34 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tadd View Post

2. What does the watch do or say when it goes out-of-range of the cellphone or if the cellphone is powered off?

The Apple Watch has a wifi chip.  Apple hasn't spoken much about it.

If you are on a known wifi network (such as at home) it will continue to function over wifi for notifications.  1st party apps will all work fine.  3rd party apps still depend on the phone.  

• Reply 35 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Informal poll is right! When the only ones you ask are the salespeople who have a vested interest in making you believe everyone is buying, then this result is no surprise.  "Hurry, they're going fast!" is one of the oldest sales pitches in the world.  If Cowen & Co. thinks their "poll" has any meaning, they're fooling themselves. More likely, they're trying to fool their own clients.

Yeah, Apple has a history of doing stuff like that.....?

• Reply 36 of 111
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

0. If you have to nitpick over the price of individual details, you're not the target market.

There were some important details, like how much was the Milanese band when bought for the Sport watch, etc..

• Reply 37 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's the thing most forget; it's not like the software is frozen the way it currently is. Apple will respond to customer requests and other needs, modifying features and adding them as time goes on.

• Reply 38 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razormaid View Post

Holler out to TADD:

Joseph

How does a person send an idea to the Apple team?  

• Reply 39 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

never used the internet before?

You may have lost the thread here.  I was suggesting that the reason I did not pre-order a watch while or after the demo was that I needed to know some important details that the demo-er didn't know.  So I went home (to use the Internet) instead of pre-ordering it at the point of demonstration.  

• Reply 40 of 111
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    shard wrote: »
    The Rolex IS a relic! Having said that, my dad left me a Rolex Explorer 2, the watch is now about 27 years old. It is still working today without any servicing. I hope to leave it to one of my kids.

Having said that, I ordered the Apple Watch and my biggest fear is that it becomes indispensable and I won't want to wear the Rolex anymore and none of my kids will want it except to sell it.

Just speaking as a gearhead here, without any Rolex cred in particular, i would think that you'd want to get that fine machine cleaned and lubricated, lest you permanently damage the bearings and other wear points. Sorry for the free advice. I hate getting it myself.