Garmin takes another swipe at GoPro with revamped, iOS-connected Virb action cameras

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Electronics maker Garmin, best known for its handheld GPS units, continued to expand its product line this week with the launch of the Virb X and Virb XE, miniature action cameras designed to challenge market leader GoPro.

The Virb X and XE are smaller than their predecessor, featuring a new rectangular shape that brings them in line with most other action cameras on the market. Both models are waterproof up to a depth of 50 meters, and include an on-board GPS receiver as well as an accelerometer and gyroscope.

Communications capabilities include built-in Wi-Fi, ANT+, and Bluetooth. The new Virb cameras can connect to Garmin's official iOS application to transfer footage via Wi-Fi, while users with Bluetooth-enabled OBD tools can stream vehicle data like speed, RPM and throttle position to augment footage.

The Virb XE can capture video footage in 1440p at 30 frames per second, or 1080p at 60 frames per second with "super slow-mo," image stabilization and selectable zoom. Advanced users can configure white balance, sharpness, color profiles, exposure bias, and ISO.

The Virb X drops down to 1080p at 30 frames per second or 720p at 60 frames per second, with non-super slow-mo and unspecified zoom options.

Battery life from the removable and rechargeable cells is rated at up 2 hours. Footage is recorded to a microSD card, which users can upgrade to a larger capacity at their leisure.

The Virb X and XE are set to go on sale this summer for $299.99 and $399.99, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    eh, is there really a large market for these cameras? seems niche to me.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    schlack wrote: »

Any person who visits the great outdoors having a GoPro is a must.

Making low budget videos is another must.

Shooting memories from family gatherings is a must.

Outdoor concert venues like The Gorge at George is a must.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The GPS, OBD integration and ANT could lead to some interesting usage.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

This would be a violation of the license you are granted on admission. 

But I've bought my last Garmin product. Their tech support is a mess.

• Reply 6 of 14
    davidcdavidc Posts: 11member
    I was interested in giving Garmin a try. GoPro's are just a pain in the ass. The interface is a kludge and you can only navigate it if your sitting around with the camera in your hand. If it's mounted somewhere for your activity it's a nightmare. And the battery life is atrocious! Even the battery life of the stupid remote is a joke. I bought three new GoPro's for my recent Jeep trip to Moab...wasted money, wasted time...just aggravation.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

Yeah...dash cam for your cars.

• Reply 8 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Any person who visits the great outdoors having a GoPro is a must.

Making low budget videos is another must.

Shooting memories from family gatherings is a must.

Gimme a break, Go PRo is the best camera for all those uses.

• Reply 9 of 14

Hmm, there are a bunch of dash cams available for much less than a goPro cam...that have more dash cam oriented features. I could see using a goPro for a dashcam if you already have one, but it's not a reason to buy.

• Reply 10 of 14

I don't get it. I can use my iPhone cam for each of these with good results. And if that fails, I have real cameras (which take high quality 1080p video and cost less than GoPro).

Where's the market for a GoPro outside of extreme sports and external car cams?

• Reply 11 of 14
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

I don't get it. I can use my iPhone cam for each of these with good results. 

Don't try that 50m underwater with your iPhone.

• Reply 12 of 14
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Gimme a break, Go PRo is the best camera for all those uses.

Open your eyes and read. I wasn't addressing the Garmin, but just the GoPro and its competitors, in general.

Personally, I'll just buy the GoPro.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Open your eyes and read. I wasn't addressing the Garmin, but just the GoPro and its competitors, in general.

Personally, I'll just buy the GoPro.

You forgot my ... I'm saying Go Pro is inadequate to totally BAD and plain producing GARBAGE for many of those uses.

If you use Go Pro for a family gathering, a perfect use for a 100 times better camera, well, hey, what can I say.

• Reply 14 of 14
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Don't try that 50m underwater with your iPhone.

Exactly and remember its another device which in my opinion is better.  No low battery situation on the phone when overloading all your tasks to that one device. This is a nightmare for me on vacations actually with my iphone. I dont leave home with an extra battery in my pocket which is kind of shame.

But by far biggest point of a gopro is the fish-eye lens. If you don't know why you need a gopro then you have never used one.... OK, you can buy a 500 dollar fish-eye lens to you camera but to then talk about the price of a gopro hero(140 bucks) or compare a normal HD camera to hero4 4K action cam is just an insult in my opinion...