Nearly all Apple Watch retail try-ons are resulting in preorders, Cowen says

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think the conclusion have drawn here is that I believe (based on my opinion and perception after trying it on) is that Apple didn't make a device that feels like a watch.  They made a computer that straps to your wrist.  It has watch-like elements, but it just doesn't feel like a watch.  Much like the iPhone doesn't feel like a phone.

Now, that doesn't mean i don't like the device.  The feature set is very nice and I can see getting a lot of use out of it.

I just think the comparisons to traditional watches needs to stop.  It's not like a traditional watch.  After my try-on, i was convinced (quite clearly) that it will never be like a traditional watch.  that's why i specifically said that I felt the AI sport watch felt more "true to itself".  It's not trying to pretend to be something it really isn't.

In ten years, small, inexpensive computing power will be simply astounding and that power will have migrated into future Apple Watches and other wearable, invisible-to-the-user devices and products.

• Reply 82 of 111
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by valkraider View Post

Interesting. I had the opposite experience.

In person I felt like they look way bigger than they did online. In person the 42 seemed massive - even the 38 seemed like a substantial watch...

Thats why we call these subjective opinions. image

This also means you haven't bought a watch of a modern bigger style since they've been in style (20 years). Maybe that explains your opinion on bulkiness a bit; the 42 is the average size of a current male watch (or even slightly smaller). The average women's watches is a bit smaller than 38mm x 10.5, but its in the same ballpark.

• Reply 83 of 111
    antkm1 wrote: »

It has watch-like elements, but it just doesn't feel like a watch.  Much like the iPhone doesn't feel like a phone

With a huge swath of the country no longer having landlines it seems a little out of touch to say "the iPhone doesn't feel like a phone." I would argue that there are millions of people who think the iPhone is the only thing that feels like a phone. Since that should be understandable to most anyone it seems pretty clear that in 5-8 years for many millions of people the Apple Watch will be the baseline for what a watch feels like.

I know that wasn't the example you meant to give, but I think it's the more accurate one.
  • Reply 84 of 111
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

I think the conclusion have drawn here is that I believe (based on my opinion and perception after trying it on) is that Apple didn't make a device that feels like a watch.  They made a computer that straps to your wrist.  It has watch-like elements, but it just doesn't feel like a watch.  Much like the iPhone doesn't feel like a phone.

Now, that doesn't mean i don't like the device.  The feature set is very nice and I can see getting a lot of use out of it.

I just think the comparisons to traditional watches needs to stop.  It's not like a traditional watch.  After my try-on, i was convinced (quite clearly) that it will never be like a traditional watch.  that's why i specifically said that I felt the AI sport watch felt more "true to itself".  It's not trying to pretend to be something it really isn't.

Those poor traditional watches will be in for a wild ride, because unlike traditional watches, people will not swap this one out for another one, once it becomes extremely useful to them.  We only have two wrists (and I don't think people will start to wear two watches... ;-). Once they lost the real estate on your wrist for good, they're revenues will crash and only the very top market (and complete bottom) will survive.

• Reply 85 of 111
    That Rolex is 36 mm. That Apple Watch...is that the 38 or 42mm?
  • Reply 86 of 111

Question...what Apple Watch size is that in the picture in the article?

The Rolex is 36mm...i know that.  But what is the size of the pictured Watch?

• Reply 87 of 111
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

For the record, I thought your comments interesting and valuable. I think there is a lot of merit to "Apple Watch Ins't A Watch." Your analogy to the iPhone isn't a phone is apt.

I don't get some of the animosity here on AI.

thanks!

• Reply 88 of 111
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

With a huge swath of the country no longer having landlines it seems a little out of touch to say "the iPhone doesn't feel like a phone." I would argue that there are millions of people who think the iPhone is the only thing that feels like a phone. Since that should be understandable to most anyone it seems pretty clear that in 5-8 years for many millions of people the Apple Watch will be the baseline for what a watch feels like.

I know that wasn't the example you meant to give, but I think it's the more accurate one.

The iPhone is only 8 years old.  I think you're sensationalizing the notion that the traditional phone is dead and soon to be only legend but i get your point.  How soon we all forget we once had pagers and phones with cords :P 

• Reply 89 of 111
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Yup, Apple has a reputation of lying and manipulation......GTFOOH

Because no sales associate at a Apple store has ever lied.
  • Reply 90 of 111

In ten years, small, inexpensive computing power will be simply astounding and that power will have migrated into future Apple Watches and other wearable, invisible-to-the-user devices and products.

The average smartphone has the same computing power of a desktop 10 years ago, so look at current computers to see what power smartphones will have in 10 years.
  • Reply 91 of 111
    Quote:

The iPhone is only 8 years old.  I think you're sensationalizing the notion that the traditional phone is dead and soon to be only legend but i get your point.  How soon we all forget we once had pagers and phones with cords :P 

http://time.com/2966515/landline-phones-cell-phones/  That's from a year ago, so odds are the percentage of homes without a landline is a few points higher than 41%.  With ~300 million Americans that works out to approx. 120 million without home access to a landline going on last years numbers.  In what way was my previous post "sensationalizing" anything?  On the contrary I believe I understated the matter.  

I haven't forgotten about pagers or phones with cords, but they're nearly as irrelevant today as cassette tapes and floppy disks.  Search Youtube for "Kids react to rotary phones" or "Kids react to old cameras" you'll be surprised at what school age kids have never even heard about.

• Reply 92 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The average smartphone has the same computing power of a desktop 10 years ago, so look at current computers to see what power smartphones will have in 10 years.

Moore's Law says that growth in 10 years will be exponentially higher, not just incrementally more powerful.

• Reply 93 of 111

Moore's Law says that growth in 10 years will be exponentially higher, not just incrementally more powerful.

Moore's Law is a constant steady growth, not an exponential one.
  • Reply 94 of 111
    sog35 wrote: »
    do they have the reputation of being liars and manipulators?

stop trying to use the exception as the rule

It's also funny how many people will say "Apple was being misleading (lying)" whenever they do something they previously said they wouldn't do.
  • Reply 95 of 111
    tadd wrote: »

How does a person send an idea to the Apple team?  

https://www.apple.com/feedback/
  • Reply 96 of 111
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Moore's Law is a constant steady growth, not an exponential one.

In fact, it is exponential: http://www.singularitysymposium.com/moores-law.html
  • Reply 97 of 111

I understand that, but whenever something is described as growing exponentially it's because it grew much faster than it had before, or expected to.
  • Reply 98 of 111
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I understand that, but whenever something is described as growing exponentially it's because it grew much faster than it had before, or expected to.

I don't think you understand what the term exponential means.
  • Reply 99 of 111
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'm not giving him a hard time.  He said the watch felt too light.  I pointed to the FACT that the AppleWatch is actually HEAVIER than many Rolex watches.  Weight of an object is not an opinion.  Its a FACT.

Actually, you were giving him a hard time (using bold and capitalized words in text is the equivalent of shouting).  He provided an articulate opinion about why he didn't like the feel of the watch, and also clarified on follow-up posts.  It is his opinion.

You are very quick to get angry at the anti-apple trolls on this forum (I don't like them either), but you also are very quick to attack anyone who provides a contrary opinion, and have no problem derailing a thread with excessive posts.  Done repeatedly, that is itself "trolling" behaviour.

• Reply 100 of 111
    I don't think you understand what the term exponential means.

You're right. What can I say, it's been quite a while since my last math class. According to Moore's Law processors grow proportional, the same steady growth year in year out, so processors will grow in the next 10 years the same way they did during the last 10 years, so what makes you think there's going to be exponential growth?