First look: Apple's streamlined Music app in iOS 8.4 beta

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2015
Earlier on Monday, Apple released iOS 8.4 beta with what it calls a "sneak peek" at a redesigned Music app featuring all new content browsing tools, user interface navigation and persistent MiniPlayer.

As seen in the video above, Apple's new Music app looks very similar to the current version seen in iOS 8.3, save for a few graphical tweaks. Under the hood, however, are a few key additions meant to dial in the user experience with gesture controls, intuitive menu options and global search, among other functions.

MiniPlayer is a key feature to Apple's new Music, allowing quick access to the Now Playing pane and music transport controls. Positioned just above three main UI icons for "My Music," "Playlists" and "Radio," the MiniPlayer feels bit cramped on an iPhone 5s, but makes good use screen real estate on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Swipe gestures are now supported for flipping between Music function panes and dismissing the Now Playing window.

The My Music home screen has been revamped to include Recently Added albums at the top of a user's music library. While browsing, users can start playing music directly from the album list. In addition, a global search function with recent queries and Radio integration can be accessed from anywhere in the app.

Apple's redesign includes heavy use of transparencies, especially apparent in the Now Playing window, which can be customized with user-assigned cover art. A number of functions have been transported to Now Playing including the ability to start an AirPlay session and add a song to "Up Next." The window is dismissible by swiping down on the screen or tapping the chevron in the upper left corner.

Aesthetic changes include new in-app icons, larger album and artist graphics and a design more consistent with Apple's "flat" UI style. CoverFlow, which made albums browsable in landscape mode, has apparently been deleted, though the function could return in a later build.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    It is probably just me, but IMHO Apple music apps for iOS and OS X just suck. Maybe this one might be the fix ?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    There was a lot of faffing about in that video. Could do with a voiceover or some text.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Just don't listen to the music(?) in the video...
  • Reply 4 of 46
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Oh thank GOD. I hated coverflow I sincerely hope it stays gone.. or they at LEAST add some track controls or allow us to disable coverflow.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    OMG. Never make a video like that again.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    why is the default initial screen in ios iTunes/music is the itunes radio stuff? i do understand that they want you to swallow it, but there is NO way to switch ios iTunes/music to some other user defined initial screen...for instance, i would like to open the app and the first thing i see is my playlists...or whatever else i choose
  • Reply 7 of 46
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member

With the new Beats Music streaming service, we're getting a revamped Music app.  I wonder with the launch of the new TV streaming service, if we'll get a revamped Videos app.

• Reply 8 of 46
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Should have just run the actual "Windowlicker" video. That thing rocks. One of the best videos of that era.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Next time, use a tool that indicates where you're touching/gesturing.  For example.

And pass the eye and ear bleach.  There's a time and place for that, and this wasn't it. 

(Note: I am a big fan of WFMU, and I'm certain I've enjoyed some Aphex Twin there.  Here, the context is all wrong.)

• Reply 10 of 46
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    How many taps/swipes did it take to play a song? I lost count after 2.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    adrayven wrote: »
    Oh thank GOD. I hated coverflow I sincerely hope it stays gone.. or they at LEAST add some track controls or allow us to disable coverflow.
    Not to sound snarky but portrait lock and problem solved
  • Reply 12 of 46
    digitol wrote: »
    How many taps/swipes did it take to play a song? I lost count after 2.
    No kidding. It's like they took all the worst things about spotify and plopped them in.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Not to sound snarky but portrait lock and problem solved

I shouldn't have to enable portrait lock to prevent a useless feature.

I know some people claim it's nice; but about half my stuff doesn't have album art, including some stuff purchased from iTunes. And often times I won't recall which album had the song anyway.

• Reply 14 of 46
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Finally!! This addresses most of the issues I have with the Music app. 

• Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Finally!! This addresses most of the issues I have with the Music app. 

What issues, and how are they addressed? Sounds like a disaster from the comments prior to yours....

• Reply 16 of 46
    I see they are still using that god awful pink/peach color for the icon, and I bet 8.4 doesn't change the fact that the scroll bar isn't confined to the portion of the playlist that moves. That doesn't even touch the fact the progress bar while playing a track hasn't been as accurate and moving forward or backward with it has been as clumsy as hell since iOS 7. I still say cover flow circa iOS 6 was awesome. Hell the whole music app was better then.
  • Reply 17 of 46

I actually think the current Music.app (iOS 8.1.2) is really nice. It always opens to the last tab I'm in, ie. it doesn't always open iTunes Radio by default. I disagree with a lot of the complaints here actually.

That being said, I have half a mind to upgrade (and lose my jailbreak) just for the tweaked Now Playing UI. (Up Next functions are here, yes!)

As an aside, that Global Search really intrigues me. As soon as I heard it, I thought this would be great for searching through an online streaming catalogue a la Beats. Then with the new Up Next, I can just queue up the song I don't actually have in my library to play next.

• Reply 18 of 46
    The app seems like it could be clearer. Use more visual cues, organize better, make it prettier. Spotify is a good example of a well made music app. I think one of the issues is that they have their hands tied with all of the user interface guidelines to match the rest of the OS, and requirements to push radio to make more money. But, I'll have to give it a try anyways.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What issues, and how are they addressed? Sounds like a disaster from the comments prior to yours....

Eh, every single Apple release sounds like a disaster if you're gonna rely on knee-jerk online impressions. 

PS- Just noticed I'm quoted in your sig.. flattered ;)

• Reply 20 of 46
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The two major usability issues I have with the current Music app are lack of "Up Next" and the fact the I have to use the global AirPlay switch instead of an AirPlay button within the music app itself. The "Recently Added" being at the top is also good idea. Is there room for improvement.. you bet. But these were my major issues with the current one.