Apple to show 'the future of iOS and OS X' at WWDC June 8-12

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2015
Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, where it historically has unveiled the next-generation versions of iOS and OS X, will kick off on June 8 this year, the company announced on Monday.

WWDC will run at Moscone West in San Francisco June 8 through 12. The opportunity to buy tickets to this year's WWDC will be offered by random selection, the company said. Passes to the conference cost $1,599 U.S.

WWDC 2015 will feature more than 100 technical sessions, over 1,000 Apple engineers, hands-on labs, and the Apple design awards. For those who can't attend, sessions will also be streamed online, and more sessions than ever will be streamed this year.
Apple said this year's event will showcase "the future of iOS and OS X," suggesting both iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 will be unveiled.
The tagline for this year's WWDC is "The epicenter of change." Apple also indicated that developers who attend will "learn about the future of iOS and OS X," suggesting that both iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 could be unveiled.

"The App Store ignited an app ecosystem that is simply amazing, forever changing the lives of customers and creating millions of jobs worldwide," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "We've got incredible new technologies for iOS and OS X to share with developers at WWDC and around the world, and can't wait to see the next generation of apps they create."

Developers can apply for tickets via the WWDC website now through Friday, April 17 at 10 a.m. Pacific. Tickets will be issued to attendees through a random selection process, and developers will know the status of their application by Monday, April 20 at 5 p.m. Pacific.

Apple will also offer up to 350 WWDC Scholarships available, giving students and members of participating STEM organizations around the world the chance to earn a free ticket.

According to Apple, WWDC 2015 activities will include:
  • More than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers on a wide range of topics for developing, deploying and integrating the latest iOS and OS X technologies.
  • Over 1,000 Apple engineers supporting more than 100 hands-on labs and events to provide developers with code-level assistance, insight into optimal development techniques and guidance on how they can make the most of iOS and OS X technologies in their apps.
  • Access to the latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and best practices for enhancing an app's functionality, performance, quality and design.
  • The opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world--last year more than 60 countries were represented
  • A series of get togethers for attendees focused on particular topics with special guest speakers and activities.
  • Engaging and inspirational lunchtime sessions with leading minds and influencers from the worlds of technology, science and entertainment.
  • Apple Design Awards which recognize iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Mac apps that demonstrate technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 167
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    Why does it have to cost so much?
  • Reply 2 of 167
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    prokip wrote: »

Does it? If you're a professional, the cost is negligible.
  • Reply 3 of 167
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    prokip wrote: »

1000 engineers doesn't come cheap.
  • Reply 4 of 167
    Am I the only one who thinks the taglines are a bit ominous?
  • Reply 5 of 167
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    It's interesting that it is 'about the future of iOS and OS X' and not 'the future of OS X and iOS'. Cleary iOS became the prime focus for Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 167

The icon looks like a Mandelbrot set: no matter which device you are using, it's always the same and familiar. Nice choice.

• Reply 7 of 167

Interesting. I instantly disliked it. Should be more succinct and positive, IMO.

How about: "Let's change the world" or "Better get ready" instead?
  • Reply 8 of 167
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by prokip View Post

To keep the riffraff out.

• Reply 9 of 167
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Logo looks like an Apple TV.

Not sure what the circles are for.  A round watch?  lol.

App icons on the Apple Watch are round.

• Reply 10 of 167
    macapfel wrote: »

Apple also used circles in the September 2013 announcement, so the Watch isn't necessarily involved.
  • Reply 11 of 167
    macapfel wrote: »

But what about the diamond shapes? Does this represent a bowl of Lucky Charms cereal?

Yes, I'm just kidding. Obviously it's the Apple Watch app icons and the iOS icons overlapping.
  • Reply 12 of 167
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yep, only one. Apple is moving, as it always does, to where the puck will be and if that means offending and abandoning the loyal old guard then so be it. They have no qualms about it.

• Reply 13 of 167
    To the user OS X is looking more & more like iOS
    IMO is a good thing
  • Reply 14 of 167
    IMO is a good thing

Hmm...
  • Reply 15 of 167
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Interesting. I instantly disliked it. Should be more succinct and positive, IMO.

How about: "Let's change the world" or "Better get ready" instead?

"Bozos Beware" would have been succinct but sometimes honesty is not the best approach...
  • Reply 16 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    lkrupp wrote: »

To keep the riffraff out.

LOL
  • Reply 17 of 167
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

Personally I hope they do a snow leopard styled update to both OS X and iOS.

Time to really start releasing rock solid software once again please Apple.

• Reply 18 of 167
    gtr wrote: »
    "Bozos Beware" would have been succinct but sometimes honesty is not the best approach...

Not necessarily more positive, but certainly funnier.
  • Reply 19 of 167
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

You can call it ominous when the headline is "Apple to show 'the future of iOSX' at WWDC".
  • Reply 20 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    IMO is a good thing

I'd agree design and functionality having mutually shared approaches in many cases is good but also designing to the strengths of each too is important. The new Final Cut Pro X Compressor and Motion X we got yesterday, for example, don't look like any iOS app I know of. ;)