Apple bans selfie sticks, monopods from WWDC 2015

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
In an update to the rules for Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple is banning 2015 attendees from using selfie sticks or any other kind of photo monopod within the bounds of either Moscone West or Yerba Buena Gardens.

Developers were already blocked from making audio or video recordings of WWDC events, or using professional photo equipment, but photography using phones or compact cameras was (and is) permitted. During events like the opening keynote, selfie sticks could potentially give attendees unobstructed shots of the stage, but might also block the views of other audience members and Apple's own camera crews.

"You are not permitted to make audio or audiovisual recordings of WWDC or take professional photographic or video equipment, or wearable recording devices into Moscone West or Yerba Buena Gardens," Apple's information page reads. "In addition, you may not use selfie sticks or similar monopods within Moscone West or Yerba Buena Gardens."

Such sticks have rapidly grown in popularity during the past year. A number of other major events have already banned them though, such as this week's Coachella festival in California, again over concerns about them obstructing the views of other people.

WWDC 2015 is scheduled for June 8 through 12 in San Francisco. Apple is expected to showcase iOS 9 and OS X 10.11, likely making early versions available to developers as it prepares them to support new features.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Good. **** selfie sticks. The height of inconsiderate narcisism and selfishness, invading the space and comfort of others so you can indulge in your own self obsession.
  • Reply 3 of 32

Monopods cannot stand on their own.

• Reply 4 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Imagine an entire auditorium full of tripods.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    Excuse my ignorance - are selfie sticks dangerous in some way?
  • Reply 6 of 32
    They should ban tall people if they care so much about unobstructed views. I mean, think about it ;)
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They should ban tall people if they care so much about unobstructed views. I mean, think about it image

There are far fewer tall people than selfie sticks in these types of events, I am guessing.

• Reply 9 of 32
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gregq View Post

Mainly to the person using one and ignorantly obstructing the view of everyone behind them.

And I can only imagine what a crowd of 5000 people with a bunch of selfie sticks would be like...

• Reply 10 of 32
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Yes. Trying to use them in a crowded area runs a risk of hitting someone or someone walking into it. They also pose a danger in areas like museums or amusement parks where exhibits/rides are designed with the assumption that nobody can reach past four feet.

The bigger issue of course is that they prevent others from enjoying the spaces where they are used. 

• Reply 11 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gregq wrote: »

Yes, some of the goofballs swing them around without regard to their neighbors.

Still I just use a tripod that's in its compact position.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    I wouldn't have done that if I were Apple. I would have gone a step further and banned the term "selfie stick" from being spoken.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

Wrong. Apple said no wearable recording devices.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Screw selfie sticks and screw the morons who use selfie sticks!

There are few things worse than selfie sticks and the people who use them!

Recently, I remember that there was a building explosion and building collapse downtown, with a couple of people ending up dead.

Even worse than that were the pathetic idiots who were taking selfies in front of the scene!

Have some respect! Have some common decency you bunch of narcissist losers! This isn't about you, and nobody gives a crap about you and your ugly selfie!

Somebody should take your selfie sticks and jam it up your asses, you miserable losers! You disgust me!

• Reply 15 of 32
    I kinda like selfie sticks, it lets me know right up front who I'm dealing with. It's also easier than the alternative - using a Sharpie to write "dickhead" on people's foreheads. Perhaps we should just call these people "selfie dicks"? If you own a selfie stick and I have offended you, I apologize, but someone had to tell you.

(I thought about Googling "selfie dick" to see if anyone was already using that term, but I took a second and realized that the search results weren't going to be the kind that I wanted)
  • Reply 16 of 32

The "sad" thing is Google and Samsung will now decide to promote allowing people to bring selfie sticks their conferences to try to show they are more open than Apple.

• Reply 17 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    danielsw wrote: »

So much for that one guy with Google Glass.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    danielsw wrote: »

That's just aimed at Glassholes ;)
  • Reply 19 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

They exacerbate a mental illness. That dangerous enough?

• Reply 20 of 32
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member

I dunno. It seems like the monopods are mildly better than people holding their ass-scratchers up there with their phones on them. At least the monopods are narrower than forearms. The problem we have is that so many people experience events through their phone screen now, rather than through their own eyes.