Artist sues Apple over alleged copycat work in 'Start Something New' marketing

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Ms. Harrington, art teacher at Bay Point Elementary creates amazing pieces of Art... She is retiring and will be missed!

• Reply 62 of 72
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideAAPL View Post

sog-- So let's assume his art begins to be copied and used by numerous other companies. When does look-alike uses, cross the line? An artist needs protections as much as any company needs protection or his art becomes so commonly available the value of his art is lowered. He may not win, but he has the right to sue, just as you would if you could, as anyone could, if they felt the need.

Then he should come up with an original style.

• Reply 63 of 72
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Britto needs to stop copying Picasso.
    Yeah, except he famously said that "good artists copy and great artists steal." He stole his cubism from Braque, his sculpture from Gonzales, etc. but he did it very well.
  • Reply 64 of 72

Unfortunately that's not a valid retort. He has a style. The fact that you discredit it, does not negate his style. Care to try again?

• Reply 65 of 72
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Difference is Craig and Karl have been doing their art for years.  Its not like they just were asked by Apple to copy Britto.

Plus the style of art that Britto uses is NOT original.  This style has been around for DECADES.

I was doing art like that when I was in high school back in the seventies, failed the subject, I guess I was too far ahead of my time.

• Reply 66 of 72

hill60, yes indeed you might have been.

sog said, " Difference is Craig and Karl have been doing their art for years."  Perhaps some of us ought to take a look at Britto's website to see if indeed he too has been doing his art for years. It would appear so. He's not a start up kind of guy.

http://britto.com/

• Reply 67 of 72
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Its not like they just were asked by Apple to copy Britto.

You don't know that. You DEFINITELY don't know that.

• Reply 68 of 72
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    ktappe wrote: »

It seems probable though. The article says they have been producing this art for years and Apple has only recently featured them. Furthermore, Apple is featuring them because they do their work on iPads, not because of their specific style.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

That's an utterly crap suggestion to make, the claimed works predate Apple's campaign significantly. Also this style is neither unique nor rare.

• Reply 70 of 72
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

These 2 picasso's are good examples why Picasso is Picasso and a Britto a Britto. Showing these 2, you make Britto win (to start with: Britto doesn't use negative space and Picasso's colors are more pastel)

Absolutely not, it's a demonstration that the trade dress as written is open to interpretation and the trade dress as written is not unique or rare. There are literally tens of modern artists who do a similar style. I picked a master as the works clearly demonstrate the same trade dress as it is written in the filling.

Also there have been numerous comparisons to music in this thread, which is entirely irrelevant because music can be expressed accurately as a score which allows very specific mechanical/mathematical comparisons to take place. This is also why there is software that allows you to accurately find music with nothing more than tapping a beat or whistling a tune. While finding imagery requires far more exactness.

• Reply 71 of 72
    jasonojasono Posts: 1member
    He won't win. Read this article why Britto has no case http://artsy.us/why-pop-artist-britto-wont-win-suing-apple-and-design-firm/